Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:48 PM

264 posts, read 918,808 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to sound rude, but why are you considering moving to a city that you know little to nothing about? Sounds like you need to find out a lot more about Charlotte before considering moving here. You're not the only ones looking to get out of NY, and jobs are very hard to come by right now. Unemployment is high -- almost 6 percent in NC and 6.5 percent in SC. Best advice is to do your homework, make several visits and by all means have a job secured before you move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 10:49 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,671,773 times
Lake Norman for outdoor rec and Lake Norman Regional Hospital or Presbyterian-Huntersville for hospitals. Both are in the lake area and you will find some really great neighborhoods in your price range. Your money will go pretty far up here and the quality of life is immense! Safety is a non issue and there is loads to do in the area.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:53 PM

8 posts, read 25,086 times
You might want to check out Highland Creek. We Love it!! It is a beautiful neighborhood with everything you could ever need right at your fingertips. Golf, tennis, great pools, parks club houses etc all in the neighborhood. There are plenty of choices for grocery stores and shopping (Concord Mills and Northlake Malls) nearby and it is easy to get to uptown. It is also close to CMC-University Hospital and Northeast Hospital as well as Presbyterian's Huntersville location so you have plenty of choices (I used to work as a home health nurse so I've dropped off lab work at all of them). Very family friendly, but has homes for all price ranges and has everything from assisted living/retirement community to townhomes and $600,000 homes. We have been here 4 years and are very happy. Some of our neighbors have moved up from smaller homes but stayed Highland Creek and I think that says alot. Good Luck!

Old 06-25-2008, 08:16 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,426,005 times
Thank you Carolina _guy and HannahB!!!! This was the type of info I was looking for. I know there are many place to live in Charlotte but I need to be able to start somewhere.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:20 AM

Hoagie58 - What subdivision and neighborhood are you in?

Old 06-25-2008, 09:19 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Hoagie58 - What subdivision and neighborhood are you in?
No offense, but looking at a city this way is like looking for a needle in a haystack!!!! You really have no clue how many hundreds and hundreds of neighborhoods there are in your price range.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,412,481 times
sickofnyc...did you pick Charlotte out of a hat filled with names of cities across the US? This looks like a train wreck in the making.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:22 PM

228 posts, read 911,115 times
Have you planned a visit down here to visit yet? That's going to be your first step. As some said Charlotte is not as small as it sounds like you invision it. Take a trip and narrow it down perhaps a good way to start would be to break out it down by areas such as Lake Norman, North Charlotte (University area), South Charlotte (Ballantyne) and maybe from seeing those areas it will help narrow it down. If you throw out an area like the ones mentioned above you may have more luck at getting specific neigborhoods.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:31 PM

I appreciate everyone’s input but I assure you that we're not idiots that picked Charlotte out of nowhere and it's not the only place I'm interested in. There are many reasons why I choose to look into it but I didn't realize that I had to explain every reason why in order to get some helpful info. Apparently some of you got that and some didn't. If you don't have useful info then please don't feel obligated to respond to this thread. Thanks to those who gave me a good place to start. You’re obviously a little smarter than the rest.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:36 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
I appreciate everyone’s input but I assure you that we're not idiots that picked Charlotte out of nowhere and it's not the only place I'm interested in. There are many reasons why I choose to look into it but I didn't realize that I had to explain every reason why in order to get some helpful info. Apparently some of you got that and some didn't. If you don't have useful info then please don't feel obligated to respond to this thread. Thanks to those who gave me a good place to start. You’re obviously a little smarter than the rest.
This info I gave previously really IS the best you will get on how to get started in your seach. Best of luck with that!

"Wow, that is really a broad question! Basically, you have many, many choices in your price range - too many to list here. The one thing I can tell you is this, you want to find jobs first, THEN decide where to live based on where those jobs are located. Charlotte is very spread out. You do not want to work on one end and live on the other. It is best to work and live as near to one another as possible. So concentrate on jobs first."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte