Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:05 PM

302 posts, read 962,620 times

Advertisements

Hi all, i'm trying to gather some info on the Charlotte area and which part would be best suited for me. I'm also considering the Raleigh area, just not sure which would be a better fit. Looking into the "burbs" with short commute to Downtown. First off i'm newly engaged and decided to relocate to North Carolina from you guessed it.....NY...long island to be exact. Were not you're stereotypical "Yankees" and hope we will be welcomed wherever we decide to move. I understand its a little more relaxed than where i'm from but thats what i'm looking for...the hustle and bustle of NY is just getting to be too much along with ridiculous traffic, and home prices. Myself and my fiance are both very outdoorsy ppl ; hiking, biking, camping, fishing, boating, so we get very depressed during the NY winters. I am a financial analyst for a health care company and she is an RN at a large university hospital. Ideally we'd like an area that is quiet but with a short commute to shopping, dinning, and a nearby lake would be great. I dont want to commute more than 30 minutes each way to work. Our price range would be about 200 to 225k what areas would you all suggest, and again were not you're fast talking, snobby, loud, new yorkers, so please refrain from the anti transplant banter. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 12:12 PM

8 posts, read 17,983 times
Default Ballentyne or anywhere in south charlotte

Hi!
I've lived in Charlotte for 16 years and no one here is from here. Look in the southern part of the city: Ballentyne, Pineville, Southpark...you'll feel right at home with all of the other transplants to the city. The newly built light rail is on that end of the city, too.

Stay away from the areas north of downtown. They're perfectly safe but that's where Nascar lives and you may find it a little more "anti-yankee" than you'd like.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:15 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,823,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtech123 View Post
Hi all, i'm trying to gather some info on the Charlotte area and which part would be best suited for me. I'm also considering the Raleigh area, just not sure which would be a better fit. Looking into the "burbs" with short commute to Downtown. First off i'm newly engaged and decided to relocate to North Carolina from you guessed it.....NY...long island to be exact. Were not you're stereotypical "Yankees" and hope we will be welcomed wherever we decide to move. I understand its a little more relaxed than where i'm from but thats what i'm looking for...the hustle and bustle of NY is just getting to be too much along with ridiculous traffic, and home prices. Myself and my fiance are both very outdoorsy ppl ; hiking, biking, camping, fishing, boating, so we get very depressed during the NY winters. I am a financial analyst for a health care company and she is an RN at a large university hospital. Ideally we'd like an area that is quiet but with a short commute to shopping, dinning, and a nearby lake would be great. I dont want to commute more than 30 minutes each way to work. Our price range would be about 200 to 225k what areas would you all suggest, and again were not you're fast talking, snobby, loud, new yorkers, so please refrain from the anti transplant banter. Thank You
Well bless your heart - somebody somewhere told you a tale about how we all hate yankees here, didn't they? I suspect that is why you expected some anti-transplant banter, isn't it? Well, hang around this forum just a little while and you'll see that most people are happy to help and welcome you to your new home - we just ask you to leave your stereotypes behind when you come okay?

Sounds like in your particular situation you could find what you are looking for in both metro areas really. I would suggest coming down to spend a few days in each to get a feel for which one is right for you. In the Charlotte metro area in your price range, to get a commute to uptown like you want, I would say to check out the town of Huntersville (just northeast of the Charlotte city limits). This area would also give you easy access to the Lake Norman area for the kinds of things you are looking to enjoy.

Best of luck in your search. Be sure to visit the Raleigh forum to ask for their best suggestions for your situation

Old 07-16-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcnnc View Post
Hi!
I've lived in Charlotte for 16 years and no one here is from here. Look in the southern part of the city: Ballentyne, Pineville, Southpark...you'll feel right at home with all of the other transplants to the city. The newly built light rail is on that end of the city, too.

Stay away from the areas north of downtown. They're perfectly safe but that's where Nascar lives and you may find it a little more "anti-yankee" than you'd like.

Good luck!
Oh gosh, I hate to be disagreeable, but I'm going to have to be I'm afraid.

First of all, he wants a 30 minute or less commute - he won't get that very easily from the southern end anymore. Also, the northern end of the county actually has a lot more transplants than any other area - he would find MANY relocated yanks there. Huntersville gives him the most options in his price range and in the commute time frame he is looking for.

And to be clear, when you say the "north end of town" - because people may get confused - that means the immediate north side of uptown Charlotte, which is really a small area . The north side of the county is extremely desirable - if you don't mind the traffic, which apparently many people don't!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:35 PM

Sorry i guess i came in stereotyping u guys, just heard alot about anti-yankeeism, which is understandable, alot of us can be overwhelming. Thanks for the Great advice. I did some research and huntersville seems ideal, and can anyone tell me a little about the weather here compared to raleigh, i heard the mountains have some effect on humidity?

Old 07-16-2008, 12:41 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,956,072 times
It can be humid thats for sure. Huntersville would welcome you. There are so many other transplants that no-one would notice you from being elsewhere.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtech123 View Post
Sorry i guess i came in stereotyping u guys, just heard alot about anti-yankeeism, which is understandable, alot of us can be overwhelming. Thanks for the Great advice. I did some research and huntersville seems ideal, and can anyone tell me a little about the weather here compared to raleigh, i heard the mountains have some effect on humidity?
No problem - it's like the first day of school when you are the new kid - you just don't know what to expect

Year round our humidity seems to generally be in the 60% range - I find it very pleasant actually. Worst days are usually the end of July - first two weeks of August for heat and humidity - but it really is not that bad. After one season most people seem to get acclimated to it. Oh, and the only real difference between us and Raleigh is that they might get a few more chances for snow than us in a year, but those don't usually equal more than about 6 inches more.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:56 PM

Ay opinions on Lake Wylie area or near Mountain Island Lake. I would really love to be close to a lake and have a boat to play with, even if i had to stretch my price range a little.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:00 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,956,072 times
Lake Norman offers more "to do" activities on the Lake than the others in the area. While the others are more relaxed.

So If you would like to go to restaurants, bars, tie ups etc etc then choose LKN if not pick one of the others. I still personally enjoy LKN better. They also have many parks and rec activities surrounding Lake Norman.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
Lake Norman offers more "to do" activities on the Lake than the others in the area. While the others are more relaxed.

So If you would like to go to restaurants, bars, tie ups etc etc then choose LKN if not pick one of the others. I still personally enjoy LKN better. They also have many parks and rec activities surrounding Lake Norman.
Agreed, Lake Norman is the "party" lake FYI, Mountain Island lake does not allow motorized vehicles I don't believe, so you canoe or kayak there. Lake Wylie is beautiful to me and you can live a bit more affordably closer to it than you can to Lake Norman. But either way you will be on the other side of your 30 minute commute range - not by much depending on exactly where you were to chose to live - but pushing it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte