Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:02 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,060 times

Advertisements

I dunno rumors running strong. People getting nervous with the stock plummet. Guess only time will tell. Working on emergency fund just incase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 09:06 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Existtoexit View Post
It has too do with the job market being unstable in north carolina which has too do with wachovia . with a very large amount of people moving too an area that could lose a portion of its job base is extremely detrimental . the results of the corporations losing ground and many people moving too the city will cause the problems i listed ;-) . The results of this is just as important if not more important than the situation its self .
I'm sure there are millions of people in LA who would disagree with your assement of that city. LA, like many cities has it problems, but is still a very vibrant place to live that attracts thousands to move there every year. Regarding Charlotte and Wachovia, there are several examples nationwide where major companies moved from one city to another. And the "losing" city did not wither up and die. Look no further than Winston-Salem where Wachovia was originally located. Not trying to be confrontational, but I think your statements are very off. For example, you infer that most people moving here are working in financial services (more specfically for Wachovia). That's a huge assumption on your part, that I know you don't have numbers to support. People move here for all sorts of reasons, not just to work in financial services, and certainly not just to work for Wachovia.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:08 PM

191 posts, read 275,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
I don't think they will leave. Both banks were created by local boys that enjoy competing with each other. They will be here for a while. Wachovia will most likely buy out Deutsch first.
I think there's an excellent chance that Wachovia will be sold. Ken Thompson was walked out the door by security and Goldman is in there now valuating the pieces. They've been horribly mismanaged and their efficiency rato is way down in 2nd tier now. I'd be surprised if Wells Fargo, Chase or some large Asian bank doesn't buy them inside of 3 months. And if they do, certainly they will not be a major player in NC.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:27 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I'm sure there are millions of people in LA who would disagree with your assement of that city. LA, like many cities has it problems, but is still a very vibrant place to live that attracts thousands to move there every year. Regarding Charlotte and Wachovia, there are several examples nationwide where major companies moved from one city to another. And the "losing" city did not wither up and die. Look no further than Winston-Salem where Wachovia was originally located. Not trying to be confrontational, but I think your statements are very off. For example, you infer that most people moving here are working in financial services (more specfically for Wachovia). That's a huge assumption on your part, that I know you don't have numbers to support. People move here for all sorts of reasons, not just to work in financial services, and certainly not just to work for Wachovia.
Interesting point you make about "assumptions" and not having the numbers to support statement. Although, I too, don't know the numbers, it doesn't make sense with the influx of people to CLT that the financial community would be able to support this amount of people.
Who has the stats---what do people "work at" according to labor dept. information?

Old 06-29-2008, 05:38 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Interesting point you make about "assumptions" and not having the numbers to support statement. Although, I too, don't know the numbers, it doesn't make sense with the influx of people to CLT that the financial community would be able to support this amount of people.
Who has the stats---what do people "work at" according to labor dept. information?

Charlotte Chamber - Largest Employers

Old 06-29-2008, 10:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
labor dept.
Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord, NC-SC Economy at a Glance

Old 06-29-2008, 11:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I found this info on Wachovia, wh/ states 6000 employees in Charlotte, and over 84,000 total. I would assume this does NOT include contract employees (1099 employees) but really do not know for sure. I thought there were more than 6000 Wachovia employees in CLT.

Wachovia Bank, National Association - Charlotte, North Carolina (NC) | Company Profile

Old 06-29-2008, 12:00 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I found this info on Wachovia, wh/ states 6000 employees in Charlotte, and over 84,000 total. I would assume this does NOT include contract employees (1099 employees) but really do not know for sure. I thought there were more than 6000 Wachovia employees in CLT.

Wachovia Bank, National Association - Charlotte, North Carolina (NC) | Company Profile
Ani that looks like it's the total number of employees at the headquarters. If that's the case that probably wouldn't include it's URP and the much larger CIC buildings. I have no idea how many employees are in the securities building on Tyron.

To dredge up a month old article, this one still states that Wachovia has 20,000 employees in Charlotte.

Wachovia shakeup: Charlotte leaders surprised by move - Charlotte Business Journal:

Quote:
Morgan notes the company's support of the community. "Wachovia still has 20,000 employees in Charlotte.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Ani that looks like it's the total number of employees at the headquarters. If that's the case that probably wouldn't include it's URP and the much larger CIC buildings. I have no idea how many employees are in the securities building on Tyron.

To dredge up a month old article, this one still states that Wachovia has 20,000 employees in Charlotte.

Wachovia shakeup: Charlotte leaders surprised by move - Charlotte Business Journal:
Brian, I think that 20,000 figure has to be pretty accurate. The 6000 figure did not seem right at all.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:23 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Great find Sunny! That page shows the financial services field hasn't been growing much compared to other areas. And it makes me recall that "the big 2" in Uptown have both had significant hiring freezes over, at least, the past year and a half, going on two years. So there wouldn't be many of the thousands moving here recently going to work for them. Here's a recent related link that speaks to where the job growth in Charlotte has been lately, and it hasn't been financial services...

Link: Charlotte Observer | 06/06/2008 | Region adding jobs but at slower pace (http://www.charlotte.com/171/story/656702.html - broken link)

And Brian is correct, Wachovia has 20,000 people here. They have 6,000 in Atlanta, and BofA has a similar numbers in both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte