Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:48 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
That's the main article - I couldn't find the editorial online. Do you happen to know if there's a link to the editorial online?

Wait, I just found it. Here it is:

Banks. Who Needs 'Em?

Classy quote from Richard Thurmond...
diertac- Thanks for that editorial. The author has that "smarmy, self-indulged" attitude down pat. It reminds me of Marie Antoinette’s "Let them eat cake" remark and we all know what happened to her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 02:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Okay anifani821, you shamed me into doing it! Here's what I just emailed.
What a terrific letter! I am very impressed w/ the direct and succinct message! You are a fine writer . . .

As you so aptly point out, if this were an attempt to be wry (or satirical) . . . it fell flat.

I wonder if you will get any sort of reply back!

Old 07-03-2008, 07:29 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
sorry if this has already been posted, but, the charlotte business journal did a great story on this and all the "what if" scenarios. It published last week.

They stated for every 1 wachovia job lost, it would cost Charlotte another 1.5 in other jobs. OUCH.
It was this one:

How losing Wachovia could change Charlotte - Charlotte Business Journal:

Quote:
One economist estimates one-and-a-half jobs would be lost in the city for every job cut in financial services.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:21 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
That's the main article - I couldn't find the editorial online. Do you happen to know if there's a link to the editorial online?

Wait, I just found it. Here it is:

Banks. Who Needs 'Em?

Classy quote from Richard Thurmond...

Darn.....Although I don't pay that crappy paper any money......I just accidentally gave them another hit on their "wonderful" story

I should read all the post first.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:32 AM

714 posts, read 2,305,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What a terrific letter! I am very impressed w/ the direct and succinct message! You are a fine writer . . .

As you so aptly point out, if this were an attempt to be wry (or satirical) . . . it fell flat.

I wonder if you will get any sort of reply back!
Aww shucks, thanks Ani! I rarely get the chance to creatively use anything I learned from getting a degree in Journalism.

I'll be sure to post whatever I hear back, if anything!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:52 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Aww shucks, thanks Ani! I rarely get the chance to creatively use anything I learned from getting a degree in Journalism.

I'll be sure to post whatever I hear back, if anything!
I am sure that degree serves you very well, as business communications are integral to success in any field. Your background is quite evident!!!

Old 07-09-2008, 06:15 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
I think this is a great move for Wachovia. It shows they're dedicated to staying independant. And if, as the rumors suggest, that this might some day pair them with Goldman, I think most would agree that partnership is much more welcome than with another pure bank...

Wachovia taps treasury official for top job
"Wachovia Corp. on Wednesday named former U.S. Treasury Department official Robert Steel its new chief executive officer, effective immediately..."

Story: Charlotte Observer | 07/09/2008 | Wachovia taps treasury official for top job (http://www.charlotte.com/209/story/705999.html - broken link)

Old 07-09-2008, 06:39 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,500,510 times
Wachovia Picks Steel as Its New Chief Executive - Mergers, Acquisitions, Venture Capital, Hedge Funds -- DealBook - New York Times

Old 07-09-2008, 07:02 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I think this is a great move for Wachovia. It shows they're dedicated to staying independant. And if, as the rumors suggest, that this might some day pair them with Goldman, I think most would agree that partnership is much more welcome than with another pure bank...

Wachovia taps treasury official for top job
"Wachovia Corp. on Wednesday named former U.S. Treasury Department official Robert Steel its new chief executive officer, effective immediately..."

Story: Charlotte Observer | 07/09/2008 | Wachovia taps treasury official for top job (http://www.charlotte.com/209/story/705999.html - broken link)

I hope you're right about it meaning that they intend to stay independent. Forbes is looking at both sides of the coin with Steel. Either he's in charge of running the ship through these tough times or he's in charge of looking for a buyer.

Wachovia Gets Worse - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/markets/commodities/2008/07/09/wachovia-steel-subprime-markets-equity-cx_mm_0709markets36.html - broken link)

Quote:
Wachovia named a new boss late Wednesday and saddled him with an unenviable situation: he must either stanch a tide of subprime-related red ink or find somebody to buy a bank in a market chock full of banks for sale.
Quote:
Yet perhaps on hopes of a sale, Wachovia's shares gained a bit in after-hours trading: the stock was up 26 cents, or 1.8%, to $14.65, after losing 7.4% in the regular trading session's rout, which was rooted in housing-bubble concerns.
Amazing how the article stating that the dark horse possibility of Goldman Sachs buying Wachovia out becomes the biggest possibility of the bunch at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte