Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:41 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,167,793 times

Advertisements

Hi all...I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for assisted living facilities, preferably in the South Charlotte area. If possible, something that has various levels of care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 09:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
I can't personally recommend a facility, other than the Lutheran Homes. But here is a list of not-for-profits in NC . . .

NCANPHA (http://www.ncanpha.org/find_facility/default.asp - broken link)

I know you are looking for better information than that, but at least that is a start.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:00 PM

Another list:

Retirement Homes

Old 05-05-2008, 10:03 PM

The Place at Southpark Assisted Living and Memory Care Community

I have not visited here, but have heard it is a nice facility. However, my understanding is - only Asstd. Living.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:50 AM

46 posts, read 210,934 times
I have always heard great things about Weddington Park across from the Siskey Y. It is only assisted living but the same company has two buildings in Monroe behind the hospital that offers different levels of care.

Seachform=

I hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:24 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,167,793 times
Thanks all for your help -- wondering if anyone has personal experience with any in the charlotte area (personal experience meaning for a close family member...)

Old 05-06-2008, 11:31 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,654,293 times
I'm currently working out the process for placing a spouse into an Assisted Living center. I'm looking at the Olde Knox Commons and Huntersville Oaks, both in Huntersville. As a matter of fact, I was in Huntersville Oaks yesterday when Elizabeth Dole came through on a tour.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:14 PM

444 posts, read 1,648,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
Thanks all for your help -- wondering if anyone has personal experience with any in the charlotte area (personal experience meaning for a close family member...)

My mother is 88 years old and has dementia. I am her guardian. I placed her in the Sterling House/Alterra in Rock Hill. they have a rocking chair front porch, locked facility, atriam with flowers, benches, trees and a real home atmosphere. This is an assistant living facility. She has a closet, bathroom,
room for a sofa and bed. There are other rooms that provide a more home atmosphere but they have separate rooms and my mother needed to be able to see her entire home at a glance.

I really do recommend this facility because they really care and because my mother loves it so much. She doesn't want to stay away from HOME too long at a time.

We looked in Charlotte and there is a place that you can find out about violations etc but I didn't find anything that offerred what we were looking for in Charlotte.

I really hope this has been some help. It is a really hard decision to place someone in an assistant living facility and you really want to make the right one. I will be happy to offer you any help I can. Please pm me and we will talk by phone if I can be of help.

Sincerely,

Dunroven

Old 05-06-2008, 09:25 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,654,293 times
dunroven55, they all seem to be quite expensive. How are you affording it, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, I'm starting to get the impression that the residents need to have money, or access to money, for some of the day-to-day needs, like meals and snacks, etc. Is my impression accurate?

Old 05-07-2008, 06:58 PM

444 posts, read 1,648,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
dunroven55, they all seem to be quite expensive. How are you affording it, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, I'm starting to get the impression that the residents need to have money, or access to money, for some of the day-to-day needs, like meals and snacks, etc. Is my impression accurate?
It is very expensive and yes you are right you do need to pay extra for some things.

Hospice is providing my mother with some of these services and medicare is paying them because my mother has renal cancer. This is very slow growing and is not terminal. To have Hospice you do not have to be terminal.

They give mother her baths and help me with lotions, pain medicines not related to the cancer and any other drug that she may need for colds etc.
It has really been a blessing!

Mother's room rate includes three meals a day, room, laundry and alot of activities. They even have a little store to spend play money.

hope this has been some help to you and please let me know if I can help you in the future.

Dunroven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte