Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2006, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 26,630 times

Advertisements

Folks I'm a professional, recently moved to CLT very excited and bought a home in west uptown, cross streets: Rozelles Ferry Rd / Beatties Ford & Trade. Since buying my home, I feel as if I'm totally out of place in the neighborhood ... dont get me wrong (am not a snob), but I see people wandering on streets look at strangely, my neighbors not friendly either ... and after reading this forum, I'm understanding that I just made the biggest mistake by moving into probably what is the most crime infested area in CLT
(from somebody that lives in this neighborhood) ... Is this correct ?

Also I need some advice ... should I fence the home all sides, and put a gate ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 06:00 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,833,736 times
While its not the worst place on earth it can get pretty rough there sometimes. In a few years though the speculators and investors will be drooling over that property so not all is lost!

Old 11-28-2006, 06:29 PM

414 posts, read 1,380,915 times
Did you use a realtor? if so they shoudln't have let you buy their.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:03 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmn22 View Post
Folks I'm a professional, recently moved to CLT very excited and bought a home in west uptown, cross streets: Rozelles Ferry Rd / Beatties Ford & Trade. Since buying my home, I feel as if I'm totally out of place in the neighborhood ... dont get me wrong (am not a snob), but I see people wandering on streets look at strangely, my neighbors not friendly either ... and after reading this forum, I'm understanding that I just made the biggest mistake by moving into probably what is the most crime infested area in CLT
(from somebody that lives in this neighborhood) ... Is this correct ?

Also I need some advice ... should I fence the home all sides, and put a gate ?

Sorry to hear this is causing you so much stress. CharlotteAgent is right though, in a few years you may be sitting pretty on resale as that area is slowly, but steadily, being bought out by DINKS and yuppies looking for a project to work on. My suggestion would be this, install bright lighting on all corners of the property - illuminate the whole place. Then consider a dog, not a yippy little one, but not a pit bull either Just a nice 30-50 pound dog that you can train to stay in the house when you aren't home, and who will bark when people approach. This is NOT the worst crime infected area in the whole city, trust me. But you do need to be more aware of who is hanging out and who doesn't belong there. See if your neighborhood has a neighborhood watch. Many of them do and they are zealous about working with the police to keep people out of areas they don't belong in. If you need more info on your neighborhood call the police department and let them advise you. Best of luck!

Old 11-28-2006, 07:53 PM

4 posts, read 26,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My suggestion would be this, install bright lighting on all corners of the property - illuminate the whole place.
thats jewels of advice, appreciate. so would you mean then, that if i go for fencing the property, i should get the chain ring fence (see through) vs. a wooden (which is more private but thieves could hide) ?

Quote:
Then consider a dog, not a yippy little one, but not a pit bull either Just a nice 30-50 pound dog that you can train to stay in the house when you aren't home, and who will bark when people approach.
but wouldn't that become a liability for me, considering if somebody claims, they'v been bitten or attacked by dog ?

if i go this route, wouldn't i need, lol, some day-care for dog itself, considering am out on business travel a lot.

Quote:
But you do need to be more aware of who is hanging out and who doesn't belong there. See if your neighborhood has a neighborhood watch. Many of them do and they are zealous about working with the police to keep people out of areas they don't belong in.
lol, my neighbors if any, are not typical neighbors ... this neighborhood has streets half empty/deserted homes. there are apt complexes which are also mostly vacant or awaiting a sale. Though what you see maybe, is homeless men (though i'd find it hard to grasp, why in CLT anyone would be homeless considering how cheap real estate is). So I mean, askin for neighborhood watch, am not sure ... lol i'd might be preaching to wrong choir ...

Quote:
If you need more info on your neighborhood call the police department and let them advise you. Best of luck!
great, thx.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:17 PM

Well, since you travel a bit that does nix the idea of a dog I'm afraid. My idea was to keep it in the house during the day and have it paper trained, to bark if anyone approached and scare them off.

Here's another idea, a house sitter. Someone like maybe a Johnson and Wales student who could stay there when you are out?

Old 11-28-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Well, since you travel a bit that does nix the idea of a dog I'm afraid. My idea was to keep it in the house during the day and have it paper trained, to bark if anyone approached and scare them off.

Here's another idea, a house sitter. Someone like maybe a Johnson and Wales student who could stay there when you are out?
Also, can I ask...WHY did you buy there? Didn't the obvious things you are seeing now stick out to you then?

Old 11-28-2006, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Also, can I ask...WHY did you buy there? Didn't the obvious things you are seeing now stick out to you then?
Are you near to Frazier Park, or closer to where Rozelles Ferry and Beattys Ford come together?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte