Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 06:01 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,837,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKQC View Post
Around $1,800 / year in taxes, plus vehicle taxes, which was around $400 total last year, if I remember correctly, for a new vehicle and our old vehicle.

The majority of the time the smaller Saussy homes (Greenwood included) are built on a slab, and the larger models are built with a crawlspace. I believe I've seen a few Greenwoods with a crawlspace, but that may have been because of the slope of the lot.

Sometimes the homes are built still on a slab if the home is on the slope the builder just puts brick around it to give it that crawl space look.

Monteith Park is nice I think that neighborhood will be highly desired once completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 07:34 AM

72 posts, read 271,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray42 View Post
I love Baxter - but i am afaid it is a little over my budget- still contiplating it though. I also love the Weekley plans, as of now there is a better variety with saussy communities to choose from, my decision will primarily be made in part as to which area i find employment, and avoiding traffic.The Weekley do have a little bit more open floor plan, but there is something about the sauusy Burbanks homes- i showed a friend of mine some of the models i was thinking about on the internet- she said they look so old- why woould you want that- and i just dont know what there is about them- i hate vinyl siding, and there is alot of brick in n.c.- i just wonder if you can actually sit on your porches in nc in the summer- mosquitos? Alot of tough decisions- ,areas to choose-changes to be made. it becomes overwhelming, and addictive at the same time- i am on this computer every free moment i have- researching n.c.-jobs-homes-man----
well thank you
TIM

I think things have slowed down just a "touch" and we were able to get a couple of incentives at Baxter (3K in closing costs and 3K at the design center). Not a wallop, but something.

Also all the Saussy homes (and weekly as well) use some kind of engineered product on the outside. I forget what it's called but it's supposedly concrete based and looks like real wood siding, but supposedly does not rot. It held paint very well and looked a lot less "cheezy" than vinyl siding.

When we came down several times in the course of Sept, Oct. and Nov there were no mosquitos that we noticed walking around Baxter, although I am sure they exist.

We also looked at McAddenville, which was a Saussy neighborhood. They had a lot of the same models as baxter and it was a fairly "cute" neighborhood, also in South Charlotte, and a little less expensive I think. Also look at Audreyville (I think I spelled it wrong) but it is a simliar idea with the "new old" style homes.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:49 AM

474 posts, read 1,749,663 times
The builders in Baxter (Saussy does in Monteith as well) use fiber cement siding. I'm not a big fan of vinyl siding so I think the fiber cement is great stuff. Looks great and is virtually maintenance free. James Hardie and CertainTeed seem to be the two big manufacturers I've seen.

I've never considered mosquitos a problem down here. If anything would prevent you from sitting on the front porch in the summer it would be the humidity. You'll see quite a few people with ceiling fans on the porches for that reason.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:04 PM

286 posts, read 946,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgray007 View Post
I think things have slowed down just a "touch" and we were able to get a couple of incentives at Baxter (3K in closing costs and 3K at the design center). Not a wallop, but something.

Also all the Saussy homes (and weekly as well) use some kind of engineered product on the outside. I forget what it's called but it's supposedly concrete based and looks like real wood siding, but supposedly does not rot. It held paint very well and looked a lot less "cheezy" than vinyl siding.

When we came down several times in the course of Sept, Oct. and Nov there were no mosquitos that we noticed walking around Baxter, although I am sure they exist.

We also looked at McAddenville, which was a Saussy neighborhood. They had a lot of the same models as baxter and it was a fairly "cute" neighborhood, also in South Charlotte, and a little less expensive I think. Also look at Audreyville (I think I spelled it wrong) but it is a simliar idea with the "new old" style homes.
I am glad you were able to get a small break in baxter $ wise. I did call baxter-sauusy Represenative- she was suppose to mail me some info on the new lots available- i love the elizabeth d model-The lady never called me back-i wonder if it was because i told her i was from ny? Feel as if i may have a fight on my hands when i move to nc-another Yankee coming down-
I also heard that Baxter is a bit snooty?- I wouldnt care either way, just think it is a nice area. Funny you should mention Mcadenville-last summer i found that village by mistake, which started this whole saussy thing. i love it there, i will be visiting in a few weeks and will check all the communities out . I noticed that mcadenville did not have any ammenities, will they be coming there?
Thank you, i will still be checking baxter as well
appreciate your input.
Tim

Old 12-07-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I am glad you were able to get a small break in baxter $ wise. I did call baxter-sauusy Represenative- she was suppose to mail me some info on the new lots available- i love the elizabeth d model-The lady never called me back-i wonder if it was because i told her i was from ny? Feel as if i may have a fight on my hands when i move to nc-another Yankee coming down-
I also heard that Baxter is a bit snooty?- I wouldnt care either way, just think it is a nice area. Funny you should mention Mcadenville-last summer i found that village by mistake, which started this whole saussy thing. i love it there, i will be visiting in a few weeks and will check all the communities out . I noticed that mcadenville did not have any ammenities, will they be coming there?
Thank you, i will still be checking baxter as well
appreciate your input.
Tim

The word on the street is that the Saussy lady in Baxter is a little.... errr... "interesting." A couple of people mentioned that, and the first time we walked in there she asked me if I could fix her computer. She is really nice though, just quite unlike the cold businesslike people at some of the other places. We wanted to see the inside of one of their models and she called around to some other neighborhoods and found one that was just finished, and arranged for us to get a key and check it out. Again, we loved Saussy, the weekley plan just worked a little better for us (their model in Baxter is really cool, but was too big for us). Several of the Weekley guys also live in baxter (their sales guy and some of the builders) which seemed to speak really well for them.

Based on what I've heard here I thought people would roll their eyes when I told them we were moving from the northeast, but nothing like that has happened when we've been down. We also met a few couples in Baxter and everyone seemed nice. It does seem a little "exclusive" since it is a bit of a self-contained town, but the folks we talked to were very down to earth, and I liked that there were so many young couples in contrast to where we live now.

Not sure what your timeframe is, but you're certainly welcome to stop on buy once were down there next summer!

Old 12-07-2006, 06:23 PM

286 posts, read 946,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgray007 View Post
The word on the street is that the Saussy lady in Baxter is a little.... errr... "interesting." A couple of people mentioned that, and the first time we walked in there she asked me if I could fix her computer. She is really nice though, just quite unlike the cold businesslike people at some of the other places. We wanted to see the inside of one of their models and she called around to some other neighborhoods and found one that was just finished, and arranged for us to get a key and check it out. Again, we loved Saussy, the weekley plan just worked a little better for us (their model in Baxter is really cool, but was too big for us). Several of the Weekley guys also live in baxter (their sales guy and some of the builders) which seemed to speak really well for them.

Based on what I've heard here I thought people would roll their eyes when I told them we were moving from the northeast, but nothing like that has happened when we've been down. We also met a few couples in Baxter and everyone seemed nice. It does seem a little "exclusive" since it is a bit of a self-contained town, but the folks we talked to were very down to earth, and I liked that there were so many young couples in contrast to where we live now.

Not sure what your timeframe is, but you're certainly welcome to stop on buy once were down there next summer!
Well i am glad you said it, not me, the lady at saussy seemed "different", havent met her yet- but i do look forward to it . did you fix here computer lol ? She ceartainly does have a southern accent- i love it. The house prices just went up by $20,000. So min is $300- i could do it, but am not sure if i want to yet.
I am a bit aprehensive about the move, after reading some of there threads, i have second guessed myself some, and then realize that these are just opinions, some people have good and bad expierences in any aspect of life.
As i sit here typing, we are getting up to 1 foot of snow- this i just want to get away from. I think that the southern people are just more friendlier, and warm, and will embrace any expierence i encounter. I do not anticipate a problem i am a people person , work with the public all day. More concerned with finding the right house.
Are you living in Baxter now?

Old 12-12-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Well i am glad you said it, not me, the lady at saussy seemed "different", havent met her yet- but i do look forward to it . did you fix here computer lol ? She ceartainly does have a southern accent- i love it. The house prices just went up by $20,000. So min is $300- i could do it, but am not sure if i want to yet.
I am a bit aprehensive about the move, after reading some of there threads, i have second guessed myself some, and then realize that these are just opinions, some people have good and bad expierences in any aspect of life.
As i sit here typing, we are getting up to 1 foot of snow- this i just want to get away from. I think that the southern people are just more friendlier, and warm, and will embrace any expierence i encounter. I do not anticipate a problem i am a people person , work with the public all day. More concerned with finding the right house.
Are you living in Baxter now?
Hi Xray,

No, I didn't fix the computer! Although I gave it a quick look I do IT strategy consulting, not exactly desktop support! She had mentioned the price increases, and again, we liked the Saussy plans and loved one of their lots, but really loved the Weekley lot.

We live outside NYC now, and our place is supposed to start construction in Jan, so we are looking forward to heading down there. There has been a lot said in the threads, but I think if you are really looking for better quality of live you'll like NC from what I've heard. If you are looking for a cheaper version of Long Island or wherever, you probably won't.

If you can wait until Aug, you're welcome to stop by our new pad :-)

Old 01-24-2007, 03:29 AM

549 posts, read 2,385,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKQC View Post
OK, you're from Utica. I grew up in Whitesboro, but just say Utica because nobody knows where Whitesboro is. I think I received a message from you about Utica, but I wasn't sure what they were so I deleted them thinking they were some sort of spam or something.
We bought our lot in Monteith close to three years ago and the corner lot premium was $5,000. I'm not sure what it would be now. Baxter is a great neighborhood as well, but much, much pricier than Monteith for similar square footage. Also, if you want to be closer to better Italian food (nothing like Utica though), the Huntersville area has better options than Fort Mill. Let me know if you need any recommendations.
HI
I have the latest brochure for Montheith Park, Corner Lot#40 has a $3,000 Dollar premium on it. It looks to park of the green area. However the only home David told me it could be built is the Belmont A at almost 2,400 sq ft. He told me a guy was bugging him about maybe putting a Chester he said there is no room for the detached garage. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte