Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:07 AM

113 posts, read 277,608 times

Advertisements

We are a couple from the Midwest. We love Minnesota and everything about our state, however, the cold weather is really a problem, today it was -14 F.
My wife has considered a move to a warmer climate. Right now, we are thinking about San Diego, CA but the cost of living is very high.

I have talked to her about Charlotte, after all I am a financial guy and I know there are good jobs in Charlotte, however, she is a very picky person and I do not know if I could sell her the idea of going to NC. I guess, our concerns are:

-We live in a very cosmopolitan city, we have plenty of co-ops, people are very health conscious, liberal and progressive. I would assume Charlotte is much more conservative and religious. Is this true?

-We would love to meet people that are like minded. We are not really big fans of "Y'all" and "Sir, Ma'am" kind of thing. Are locals nice to outsiders even though we are not "Y'all/Yes ma'am" kind of folks?

-I heard people here say that the Charlotte area is very cookie cutter, a bit lacking in culture and sometimes "boring". What do you think?

I think a move to Charlotte would be a total culture shock. I am just trying to see if that is something that may work for us. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 11:15 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by condorito View Post
We are a couple from the Midwest. We love Minnesota and everything about our state, however, the cold weather is really a problem, today it was -14 F.
My wife has considered a move to a warmer climate. Right now, we are thinking about San Diego, CA but the cost of living is very high.

I have talked to her about Charlotte, after all I am a financial guy and I know there are good jobs in Charlotte, however, she is a very picky person and I do not know if I could sell her the idea of going to NC. I guess, our concerns are:

-We live in a very cosmopolitan city, we have plenty of co-ops, people are very health conscious, liberal and progressive. I would assume Charlotte is much more conservative and religious. Is this true?

-We would love to meet people that are like minded. We are not really big fans of "Y'all" and "Sir, Ma'am" kind of thing. Are locals nice to outsiders even though we are not "Y'all/Yes ma'am" kind of folks?

-I heard people here say that the Charlotte area is very cookie cutter, a bit lacking in culture and sometimes "boring". What do you think?

I think a move to Charlotte would be a total culture shock. I am just trying to see if that is something that may work for us. Thanks!

What exactly does it mean to not be "fans of ya'll, sir and ma'am"? Guess this means you don't care for southern manners? Not trying to be argumentative, but really, you are not fans of manners??

Given everything you wrote above I'd say buy a thicker coat and stay in Minnesota.

The south is the most welcoming, friendly region in the whole nation, but I for one and getting a bit tired of people coming here only for what NC can do for them and with a total lack of respect for the way of life we enjoy when it doesn't suit their sensibilities.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:23 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,924,091 times
Wow... that's a tough one to answer because what is boring or too religious to some is the opposite to someone else.

First, I'll say it is 62f degrees while I type this reply to you. I live north of Charlotte, just off the banks of Lake Norman (one of our several inland water recreation sources). Our average temp on February 10 is 55f degrees.

We've lived in the area for approx 4 years now. While I was raised a devout Catholic, my preference is to try to live by the golden rule versus dragging my family to church on Sundays against their will. I can't say I've ever been looked down upon by my church going friends and neighbors, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that going to Sunday services wasn't a big thing down here.

The area offers alot of things when it comes to culture and entertainment. Without giving you a list of places, I can say that we've been to more performances, concerts and such since moving here than we've been to in our lives. Charlotte has become a melting pot of locals and people who have moved into the area. I think there is a nice mix of things to do and places to go. You should really check out the local Visitors Bureau website and see for yourself.

Don't forget we're located between the mountains and the beaches. Not too far from Atlanta and we're a vacation drive from Florida as well.

Check out our area further. I hope you like what you see!

Last edited by Stripes17; 02-10-2008 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: forgot a word ;-)

Old 02-10-2008, 11:47 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,151,804 times
Judging from your post I'd say you might be happier some place else; No bull.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:32 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,498,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What exactly does it mean to not be "fans of ya'll, sir and ma'am"? Guess this means you don't care for southern manners? Not trying to be argumentative, but really, you are not fans of manners??

Given everything you wrote above I'd say buy a thicker coat and stay in Minnesota.

The south is the most welcoming, friendly region in the whole nation, but I for one and getting a bit tired of people coming here only for what NC can do for them and with a total lack of respect for the way of life we enjoy when it doesn't suit their sensibilities.
Save your money for San Diego, I hear the $800,000 houses have dropped down to only $600,000. Jobs in Charlotte might be harder to get than jobs in the Twin Cities too! Right on loves!

Old 02-10-2008, 01:53 PM

422 posts, read 1,366,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by condorito View Post
-We live in a very cosmopolitan city, we have plenty of co-ops, people are very health conscious, liberal and progressive. I would assume Charlotte is much more conservative and religious. Is this true? Not true at all... I am from Boston (proper) and I have been here 3 years and I absolutley love it. No offense, but I would think where you live is less cosmo....

-We would love to meet people that are like minded. We are not really big fans of "Y'all" and "Sir, Ma'am" kind of thing. Are locals nice to outsiders even though we are not "Y'all/Yes ma'am" kind of folks?Again, not true at all.... There are so may cultures here. As Loves says... if your not into manners, then maybe you should stay where you are. Honestly, this is a real ignorant question.... and I would think if you are so "Cosmo" you wouldnt even ask this...

-I heard people here say that the Charlotte area is very cookie cutter, a bit lacking in culture and sometimes "boring". What do you think?yes, some homes and subdivisions do tend to be a little cookie cutter, and the only thing aI can tell you about thatis, find a community that is not

Have you ever been to Charlotte???

Old 02-10-2008, 02:42 PM

70 posts, read 236,690 times
Hey, Newbeginnings12,
Thanks for making a lot of my points.

I don't think I have ever read a thread about someone considering a move to the Charlotte area that had so many pre-conceived negatives.

I think this may be a troll rather than a real post.

If the OP really wanted legitimate answers, why would he try to antagonize the people he was asking? "I hear the most 'cosmo' place in Minnesota really sucks - should I move there?"

Buy a thicker coat or move to San Diego - I don't think anyone in the Charlotte area would want you

Old 02-10-2008, 04:01 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,737,842 times
I agree with the other posters. And, that's two less cars crowding our roads.

Oh, and there's plenty of culture. Go to your regular Saturday night dirt track race. I'll bet you'd love it there

Old 02-10-2008, 04:35 PM

672 posts, read 1,832,177 times
Default I understand...

Okay being that we moved here from the midwest I do understand what the OP is getting at. IT is a lot different here. I think that the terms he was referring to means that he isn't big on the redneck culture, but living here for a year and a half I can honestly say the only time I really saw true redneck culture was on a recent trip to the mountains. I don't mind that aspect but granted it's not for everyone. Charlotte is different, maybe unique to some. Where we came from in the midwest everything was different but then again every place is different and you won't truely know if you like it until you try it out, as in rent here for around 3 months and see if you can call it home.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:00 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,456,869 times
Quote:
The south is the most welcoming, friendly region in the whole nation, but I for one and getting a bit tired of people coming here only for what NC can do for them and with a total lack of respect for the way of life we enjoy when it doesn't suit their sensibilities

As a native North Carolinian I say, "Amen!"

condorito - Do you realize why your post was offensive to many that live here?
I'm sure NC is different from where you live. If you do choose to live here you should accept that. No one will shun you for not saying y'all. However you will be shunned if you are rude or disrespectful. Thousands of people from other states move to the Charlotte area each year. IMO only boring people are bored in Charlotte. I assume you have never been here so here are some links to help you learn more about the area.

Visit Charlotte
Arts and Science Council - Charlotte Culture Guide
Mecklenburg County Parks (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Parks/Home.htm - broken link)
Charlotte - Find your Center
Carowinds Theme Park
U.S. National Whitewater Center

Last edited by NCgirl; 02-10-2008 at 05:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte