Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:54 AM

18 posts, read 49,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What exactly does it mean to not be "fans of ya'll, sir and ma'am"? Guess this means you don't care for southern manners? Not trying to be argumentative, but really, you are not fans of manners??

Given everything you wrote above I'd say buy a thicker coat and stay in Minnesota.

The south is the most welcoming, friendly region in the whole nation, but I for one and getting a bit tired of people coming here only for what NC can do for them and with a total lack of respect for the way of life we enjoy when it doesn't suit their sensibilities.

I agree! All cultures should be equally respected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 08:41 AM

422 posts, read 1,366,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I for one and getting a bit tired of people coming here only for what NC can do for them and with a total lack of respect for the way of life we enjoy when it doesn't suit their sensibilities.
Me too...... in fact, if you havent noticed, I have not been posting here much lately because I can not take the ignorance. And you are welcome to disagree with me if you like.

Every state is different. Every town is different. Every person is different. STOP comparing Charlotte to your hometown!!! I have mentioned before that I am from the city of Boston, and I have also done a quick stint in NYC. I have never compared Charlotte to the those places. I would be an idiot to even try. And I actually visited Charlotte many times before falling in love with it and then I decided to make my home here. I love it. Its not Boston, and its not NY. Its Charlotte, NC.... it is its own place in its own state.

If you dont like it, then dont come here. Point blank!!!! Its one less person I have to hear complain and compare to where they are from.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:47 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings12 View Post
Me too...... in fact, if you havent noticed, I have not been posting here much lately because I can not take the ignorance. And you are welcome to disagree with me if you like.

Every state is different. Every town is different. Every person is different. STOP comparing Charlotte to your hometown!!! I have mentioned before that I am from the city of Boston, and I have also done a quick stint in NYC. I have never compared Charlotte to the those places. I would be an idiot to even try. And I actually visited Charlotte many times before falling in love with it and then I decided to make my home here. I love it. Its not Boston, and its not NY. Its Charlotte, NC.... it is its own place in its own state.

If you dont like it, then dont come here. Point blank!!!! Its one less person I have to hear complain and compare to where they are from.
Hee Hee Hee. As my DS says, "Word."

Old 02-11-2008, 09:12 AM

45 posts, read 154,845 times
Condorito - after reading your original post I can flat out tell you that you won't like it here, and your wife will NEVER acclimate to the area.
Hear me, Ya'll?
Move someplace else if you value your wife.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:17 AM

45 posts, read 154,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are considering San Diego, CA but you don't want to forget Charlotte, NC b/c our weather is nice, our cost of living is good and you can find a job, right?

But you are concerned that our predominate redneck culture, a phenomenon that utterly boggles your liberal, progressive, sophisticated brain - coupled w/ the fact that we are all religious zealouts who shuffle and jive to "Yes sir and No Ma'am" - might be so offensive to your highly developed upper class mindset that your head might explode?

And this from someone who lives in a state that elected Jesse Ventura Governor?

Well, Yes Sir, bless your heart. I can just imagine your confusion.
Best post yet!!!

Old 02-11-2008, 09:42 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Quote:
You are considering San Diego, CA but you don't want to forget Charlotte, NC b/c our weather is nice, our cost of living is good and you can find a job, right?

But you are concerned that our predominate redneck culture, a phenomenon that utterly boggles your liberal, progressive, sophisticated brain - coupled w/ the fact that we are all religious zealouts who shuffle and jive to "Yes sir and No Ma'am" - might be so offensive to your highly developed upper class mindset that your head might explode?

And this from someone who lives in a state that elected Jesse Ventura Governor?

Well, Yes Sir, bless your heart. I can just imagine your confusion.
ani - Perhaps they are from the "St Olaf" region like Betty White's character on "Golden Girls"! Maybe they need to stay in "Lake Wobegon".

But then, Garrison Keillor was here only a few weeks ago and had a good time in Charlotte.! He loves the chicken, BTW

Maybe someone like that, needs to actually come to Charlotte to check out whether "all the men are strong", "all of the women are good-looking", and "all of the children are above average".

Old 02-11-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
ani - Perhaps they are from the "St Olaf" region like Betty White's character on "Golden Girls"! Maybe they need to stay in "Lake Wobegon".

But then, Garrison Keillor was here only a few weeks ago and had a good time in Charlotte.! He loves the chicken, BTW

Maybe someone like that, needs to actually come to Charlotte to check out whether "all the men are strong", "all of the women are good-looking", and "all of the children are above average".
ROFL!!! Good post, Em, but my impression is . . . we truly are not sophisticated enuff for this couple. Seriously. They sounds more like Seattle types to me. Only . . . Seattle doesn't have the weather they want.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
ROFL!!! Good post, Em, but my impression is . . . we truly are not sophisticated enuff for this couple. Seriously. They sounds more like Seattle types to me. Only . . . Seattle doesn't have the weather they want.
ani- Since the OP is expecting "stereotypes", I suggest that you, loves, and I meet him at Charlotte-Douglas dressed like the Carol Burnett take of "Gone With The Wind". I'll do my best Harvey Korman and I'm sure loves could do Vikki Lawrence 's Prissy and I know you'll look really great with the curtain rod dress on. We'll give the OP what he's expecting!

Old 02-11-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
ani- Since the OP is expecting "stereotypes", I suggest that you, loves, and I meet him at Charlotte-Douglas dressed like the Carol Burnett take of "Gone With The Wind". I'll do my best Harvey Korman and I'm sure loves could do Vikki Lawrence 's Prissy and I know you'll look really great with the curtain rod dress on. We'll give the OP what he's expecting!
Well, I am up for the meet and greet . . . but I suspect that their impression is more like that ridiculous episode on Sex in the City, where the couple shows up from Charlotte, NC. Their demeanor exemplified every stereotype known to man about Southerners.

I think that is more what they are expecting. Chewing tobacco and all.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Well, I am up for the meet and greet . . . but I suspect that their impression is more like that ridiculous episode on Sex in the City, where the couple shows up from Charlotte, NC. Their demeanor exemplified every stereotype known to man about Southerners.

I think that is more what they are expecting. Chewing tobacco and all.
Hey, that reminds me, "what did i do with my spitoon?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte