Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:59 PM

45 posts, read 207,556 times

Advertisements

Don't get hung up on the "cosmetic dentist" name. There is no such thing, no matter how much the ads hype it etc. Any decent dentist can do "cosmetic work", and if he's decent, he'll tell you if he can't.

How do I know? I'm a dentist in S. Charlotte. I know all the guys you're talking about personally and they are almost all first rate folks. Just find someone your comfortable with. I like the idea of interviewing around. Hope it helps. If you have any "specific questions" fire away. Don't worry, I'll always be anonymous!

chardent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 11:05 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,033,951 times
Default prices

oh c'mon help us out...we probably have been to your office too!!! ha! so tell me what is a reasonable price for a crown or inlay? I saw dr. Broome and they wanted $2000 for inlay!!!!

I narrowed it down to a couple of guys...I also really like Dr. Harrell. I think he has been here for awhile so I am sure you know that office as well.

There are so many dentists.

Everyone is super nice.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:12 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
oh c'mon help us out...we probably have been to your office too!!! ha! so tell me what is a reasonable price for a crown or inlay? I saw dr. Broome and they wanted $2000 for inlay!!!!

I narrowed it down to a couple of guys...I also really like Dr. Harrell. I think he has been here for awhile so I am sure you know that office as well.

There are so many dentists.

Everyone is super nice.
Yeah, doesn't the price of the veneers just slay you? I want them too, but I have to choose between that and a college education for my kids! I am not trying to say the dentist doesn't deserve to get paid, but geez, why the heck does something SO small have to cost so much??

Old 01-15-2008, 11:30 AM

Default I know lovesmoutains..

It is just crazy..the thing that sucks is no matter the dentist I am looking at $10,000-16,000 just to restore my teeth from the decay..that is not even cosmetic..just some crowns and fillings. My mouth does not even look bad you would think it would look awful for the amount of work I need done. They look fine from the outside but inside my old fillings just weren't sealed properly

On top of that I got quoted around $5500 for invisalign and then finally I can do some cosmetic work on the front of my teeth which will probably run another $8,000. This is obviously going to take a 1-3 yrs...thank goodness we don't have kids yet!

Old 01-15-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
It is just crazy..the thing that sucks is no matter the dentist I am looking at $10,000-16,000 just to restore my teeth from the decay..that is not even cosmetic..just some crowns and fillings. My mouth does not even look bad you would think it would look awful for the amount of work I need done. They look fine from the outside but inside my old fillings just weren't sealed properly

On top of that I got quoted around $5500 for invisalign and then finally I can do some cosmetic work on the front of my teeth which will probably run another $8,000. This is obviously going to take a 1-3 yrs...thank goodness we don't have kids yet!

I'll be the first to admit that a lot of dentist do "sell" their profession. But there are many ads for "laser vision correction" or "liposuction" heard on Charlotte radio--it's not just a dental "thing".

I've seen crowns in Charlotte run from 750-1500+. I'm right in the lower 1/3 of this. I've seen some scary "insurance type" crowns for less. You get what you get I suppose. Really crowns are the bread and butter of dentistry so you'd really have a hard time convincing me that Dr. X's $1500 crowns are better than mine. Veneers really are an art form and require a TON of behind the scenes work. If you think your dentist is a master, then 2000 may be worth it to you.

As for invisalign we're try to keep ours less than anyone else. Why? Because I like to pick predictable, achievable cases that yeild very satisfied patients. Everything else goes to the orthodontist for regular braces. Again invisalign is something that requires a lot of behind the scenes work.

Hope this helps. If you have any more ?'s keep them coming.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:20 PM

Default root canals?

How do you feel about them? Do you think they can pose a health risk?

Also, what is the best way to strengthen your teeth? mine I suppose are soft..would Calcium supplements work or is it too late?

Fianlly why are all the dentists offices closed down here on Fridays? haha!

Old 01-15-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
How do you feel about them? Do you think they can pose a health risk?

What poses a health risk?

Also, what is the best way to strengthen your teeth? mine I suppose are soft..would Calcium supplements work or is it too late?

Brush and floss. Teeth aren't like bones. Once they're formed calcium or other minerals can't be "leached" back out into the body. If you're cavity prone use a high fluoride rinse or toothpaste and limit sugars.

Fianlly why are all the dentists offices closed down here on Fridays? haha!
Not all are. Gosh I wished I lived in Lenoir. My buddy up there works 3 days a week. Nearly every dentist keeps old fashion "bank" hours. Remember those--half day wednesday?

Old 01-15-2008, 01:28 PM

Oh root canals, now I see. Well let me tell you when I worked at CMC-Main downtown as an ER dentist (yes, they have them). I saw people in ICU with MAJOR abscesses from infected teeth. So are they healthy? Let me put it this way: either have a root canal done or take the tooth out. Don't let it "simmer" until a Friday night.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:34 PM

Default ouch....

good point!

Old 01-15-2008, 01:36 PM

Default endodontics

I had a consult with Dr. Bryson from Charlotte Endodontics for a root canal. The office seemed so old fashioned though but I heard good thing about their work.

Does it take awhile for an abscess to form?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte