Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:34 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
If you just google search "Union County redistricting maps", the first few links will show you the proposed redistricting. Marvin Ridge high school appears to have the least amount of movement. A lot of Cuthbertson was redistricted to Parkwood, so be careful there.

If you don't want to deal with the risks, you can also look for Ardrey Kell High School in Mecklenburg County...especially in the areas around Rae Rd.
What are the taxes on an average house in the Ardrey Kell (Meck) district compared to Union County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 02:08 PM

54 posts, read 92,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna1964 View Post
We are planning to move to Waxhaw area due to change in our job situation. We have a son (going to be Junior) and a daughter (going to 7th Grade). Both of them plays Basketball. My job will be in Charlotte and my wife office will be in Ballantyne. One of the important criteria is academic performance. Could you please let me know which school is better and to get into that school where should I reside? I noticed that some of the Waxhaw homes are in Cuthbertson School area and some are in Marvin Ridge. That is a big change for me. In NJ, all students from same town go to same school. Any help is appreciated.
Krishna, good luck on your upcoming move....the 3 best Public High Schools in UC are Marvin Ridge, Weddington and Cuthbertson (based on test scores, and not including schools like Union Academy and CATA, which you have to apply to and get accepted). The Marvin Ridge cluster is probably the priciest of the 3 areas, but also probably the closest to your work in Ballantyne. Currently UC is going thru a massive upheaval with school redistricting, with some families being moved 3-4 times further away to new schools (Starting in Aug 2014) and passing 3 or 4 other schools to get to their new school (The UCBOE doesn't seem to have a rhyme or reason in how they drew the new lines). I would recommend some serious research on your part and some very pointed questions to your realtor concerning the property you are looking at and in what cluser it currently resides. Keep in mind, being from NJ you are probably used to a "town" type of school district, where everyone from your town goes to the same school. in UC its a "county wide" school district, where the BOE's and their sheep will look you dead in the eye and tell you that there aren't any guarantees as far as what school you get to go to. If you happen to be 3 miles from 3 different schools, they can decide to send you to a school 8 or 11 miles away. They tend to reshuffle the deck every 2-3 yrs, with no rhyme or reason....Marvin, Weddington and Cuthbertson all have top notch sports programs

Old 06-12-2014, 12:00 PM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
Sports can make a difference between the 3 schools. For example they may be on par in some but not in others, so if you have a hias played travel and comes from a really good volleyball team they may be able to play for a better team at one school than th other. Now, if your child only plays sometimes, like school season where you are now they may have a better chance at making a team like cuthbertsons, team. This is TRUE for any sport, and each sport level of play is different at each school. In a sport like boys soccer it may be hardest to make the marvin Ridge team (they won states this past year) but if they are very good and make it they would have the chance at going to states again. While Weddington has the best baseball team. I do not know who has the basketball team I think that may be the more level sport (but I could be wrong). This could weigh in as a factor as well.

If you are talking theater arts or band, they are also very different too. So depending on full high school experience this may be something to consider when making your decision

Old 06-12-2014, 02:17 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna1964 View Post
We are planning to move to Waxhaw area due to change in our job situation. We have a son (going to be Junior) and a daughter (going to 7th Grade). Both of them plays Basketball. My job will be in Charlotte and my wife office will be in Ballantyne. One of the important criteria is academic performance. Could you please let me know which school is better and to get into that school where should I reside? I noticed that some of the Waxhaw homes are in Cuthbertson School area and some are in Marvin Ridge. That is a big change for me. In NJ, all students from same town go to same school. Any help is appreciated.
If basketball is important, I think your best bet is Weddington schools since they are top rated.
However making the school team would be a challenge.

As mentioned, each school has different strengths when it comes to sports: swim is MR (by far), football/Basketball is Weddington, etc.

Academically Weddington are also top schools in UC (same as MR and Cuthbertson).

Old 06-12-2014, 05:40 PM

137 posts, read 190,971 times
What's this about a Marvin movie theater??

Old 06-12-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post

we can only hope

Old 06-12-2014, 06:12 PM

397 posts, read 664,491 times
The 3 most "desired" schools (those folks are fighting over) are Marvin Ridge, Cuthbertson, Weddington. If it were me, I would find homes in my price range and in neighborhoods that I loved and go from there! If top scoring schools are what you're after, then all three of the above are fair game and you would be happy with any home that filtered to them. If you need any suggestions feel free to message me. Good luck!

Old 06-12-2014, 07:38 PM

451 posts, read 711,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
Not to mention a 100,000 SQF Teeter and gas station...

My guess is that Kroger wants to try out a Giant Eagle Market District type store down here to combat Publix and Whole Foods. Giant Eagle Market District stores have been pretty successful against traditional Kroger stores in upscale Ohio markets recently.

South Charlotte: Mixed use planned for Rea-Tom Short area

https://www.facebook.com/ReaTomShortNeighbors

Last edited by SunshineCJ; 06-12-2014 at 07:48 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
What are the taxes on an average house in the Ardrey Kell (Meck) district compared to Union County?
typically taxes in Meck run 1.5 - 2 times higher than in UC for similar properties

Old 06-12-2014, 08:15 PM

451 posts, read 711,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than Everyone View Post
typically taxes in Meck run 1.5 - 2 times higher than in UC for similar properties
Careful now. People need to make their own call especially with may or may not happen in UC...

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Property Taxes :: CharMeck Tax Rates

Union County Property Taxes :: Tax Rates

After boom, Charlotte, Mecklenburg County turn to taxes | CharlotteObserver.com

http://www.co.union.nc.us/Portals/0/..._6-27-2013.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte