Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:34 PM

7 posts, read 17,635 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband and I are searching for a quiet, quaint, country town near Charlotte. We'd like somewhere very safe, good schools, a nice, walkable downtown area, a good health food store, avaibility to natural medicine, a walking/biking friendly town, art galleries & classes, near a lake or mountains and reasonably priced homes for sale. We love getting our meat and produce from local farmers, so that's a must! Local farm-to-table & vegetarian restaurants would be a bonus.We found quite a few homes near Mooresville in the $100,000 range, however I've heard traffic is horrible and we'd be commuting to Charlotte for work, more than likely. We are in no hurry, just looking for that perfect place & trying to narrow down our options. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 06:08 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,468,918 times
Mooresville would be a good option as you've mentioned but if you are going to work for sure in Charlotte you may want to consider something nearer to wherever you end up working as that commute can be pretty brutal at times, especially if you were doing it daily.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:14 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,355,257 times
No offense OP but this almost sounds like a troll post...I'm not sure if a place you describe with "reasonably priced homes for sale" exists anywhere, let alone in the Charlotte area. Mooresville and Belmont might be the closest around here, but yes Mooresville can be a rough commute to uptown Charlotte. I hope you're not expecting much house for $100K.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:17 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,088,293 times
Stanley, Mt. Holly, Dallas...
Each town may not have everything you specified, but being close to Charlotte gives you access to the things you can't find in town.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:34 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,998,206 times
I don't think $100,000 would get you much house anywhere, but as for the rest on your wish list, I'd look in Gaston County. The commute to Charlotte on 85 isn't a breeze, but in my opinion it's better than using 77.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:56 AM

18,463 posts, read 7,103,620 times
It would be difficult to get all of the things you list in any location near Charlotte.
The towns that are big enough to have the amenities also have the traffic to go with them as well as higher real estate costs.
And the towns small enough to be a quiet, safe and country as you want are not in commuting distance to Charlotte or if they are, likely won't have the amenities you desire.

Not saying you can't find most of what your looking for near Charlotte but it won't be easy, you may find you have to spend a little more money or lower your expectations a bit.

120,000-150,000 should open up more possibilities.

For my money I'd take a look at the Albemarle/Badin Lake area, it has most of what you are looking for and still a fairly easy commute to Charlotte if you go 24/27 to 485.

Last edited by FatBob96; 12-30-2013 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-30-2013, 10:51 AM

7 posts, read 17,635 times
Thanks to those that have been helpful! We obviously aren't expecting to get everything on our list! 2Bed 2bath with a fenced in yard and workshop are the only real requirements. We both enjoy renovating. We'd rather have a great area than a great house, houses can be fixed. I found a ton in Mooresville for 100,000, however after reading how overcrowded it is we were a little less interested. We are trying to narrow down our list of places to check out when in the area. We enjoy the small town/country feel, but with amenities and culture nearby our main priority is safety.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:09 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,976,684 times
See what's available in foreclosures. I bet you can get everything you're looking for in your price range.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:10 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,355,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
For my money I'd take a look at the Albemarle/Badin Lake area, it has most of what you are looking for and still a fairly easy commute to Charlotte if you go 24/27 to 485.
Albemarle would be easily over an hour to uptown at rush hour, not sure I'd call that fairly easy. And 485 doesn't go uptown. I live just east of 485 off of 24/27 and I'm happy if I can get to uptown in 45 minutes at rush hour (although don't do a daily commute).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess1706 View Post
Thanks to those that have been helpful! We obviously aren't expecting to get everything on our list! 2Bed 2bath with a fenced in yard and workshop are the only real requirements. We both enjoy renovating. We'd rather have a great area than a great house, houses can be fixed. I found a ton in Mooresville for 100,000, however after reading how overcrowded it is we were a little less interested. We are trying to narrow down our list of places to check out when in the area. We enjoy the small town/country feel, but with amenities and culture nearby our main priority is safety.
I'm not sure if I'd really even call Mooresville "overcrowded," other than right around Hwy 150 west of I-77. Most of the lower-priced homes would probably be east of 77 where it's not as crowded. It's just that the commute to uptown Charlotte would not be very fun, although you should be able to do it under an hour most of the time, probably even closer to 45 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
See what's available in foreclosures. I bet you can get everything you're looking for in your price range.
Where?

Old 12-30-2013, 01:07 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,716,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess1706 View Post
Look in Belmont & Cramerton in Gaston County & Kings Mountain in Cleveland County. You will not get everything that you want but might get close. Grover in Cleveland county is under 1 thousand residents but has no amenities. you would have to go to Kings Mountain & Gastonia for all shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte