Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 01:21 PM
cpw

85 posts, read 161,999 times

Advertisements

Waxhaw?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 02:04 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Albemarle would be easily over an hour to uptown at rush hour, not sure I'd call that fairly easy. And 485 doesn't go uptown. I live just east of 485 off of 24/27 and I'm happy if I can get to uptown in 45 minutes at rush hour (although don't do a daily commute).
Yes, but 485 leads to other roads that you can take into uptown and you could still take 24/27 past 485 too.

24/27 Isn't an interstate but it has pretty low density traffic outside the loop compared to 77 or 85 and traffic jams are pretty rare.
So it might take an hour to get to "uptown" but it would be an easy hour compared to coming in from other areas on 77 or 85.......or my daily nightmare of 74.

(if thats where you're going, not everyone who works in "Charlotte" goes to"uptown")

Old 12-30-2013, 02:38 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Yes, but 485 leads to other roads that you can take into uptown and you could still take 24/27 past 485 too.

24/27 Isn't an interstate but it has pretty low density traffic outside the loop compared to 77 or 85 and traffic jams are pretty rare.
So it might take an hour to get to "uptown" but it would be an easy hour compared to coming in from other areas on 77 or 85.......or my daily nightmare of 74.

(if thats where you're going, not everyone who works in "Charlotte" goes to"uptown")
Agree not everyone works in uptown, but it's usually the starting point when talking about commute times if you don't know an exact location elsewhere.

Still, you would be extremely lucky to get from Albemarle to uptown in an hour. Yeah you can get the 30 miles from Albemarle to 485 in about 35 minutes, but Albemarle Rd. (which merges with your daily nightmare) is no picnic at rush hour and you can rarely make it those last 13 or so miles in 30 minutes.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 712 times
I have been in search of something similar to this original poster, and I have stumbled across Salisbury. I don't need a quick commute to Charlotte, so other than distance to Charlotte, does anyone have any comments about this town?

Old 12-31-2013, 08:27 AM

124 posts, read 242,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhester View Post
I have been in search of something similar to this original poster, and I have stumbled across Salisbury. I don't need a quick commute to Charlotte, so other than distance to Charlotte, does anyone have any comments about this town?
I live in Salisbury. What do you want to know?

Old 12-31-2013, 09:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess1706 View Post
Hello!

My husband and I are searching for a quiet, quaint, country town near Charlotte. We'd like somewhere very safe, good schools, a nice, walkable downtown area, a good health food store, avaibility to natural medicine, a walking/biking friendly town, art galleries & classes, near a lake or mountains and reasonably priced homes for sale. We love getting our meat and produce from local farmers, so that's a must! Local farm-to-table & vegetarian restaurants would be a bonus.We found quite a few homes near Mooresville in the $100,000 range, however I've heard traffic is horrible and we'd be commuting to Charlotte for work, more than likely. We are in no hurry, just looking for that perfect place & trying to narrow down our options. Thank you!

Have you ever lived in or visited a town that fit your description? If you have, that would help a lot.

I have visited towns that have most of the things on your list but they were in high cost of living areas, such as Santa Monica, Carmel-by-the-Sea, Santa Barbara, Tahoe and Santa Fe.

So maybe I am setting the bar way too high. I would expect a community that would be described as you have your perfect place to have $100,000 700 sq. ft condos that sell for $500,000 >.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:16 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times
If the OP had flexibility in their schedule (ie could go into work at 6am instead of the regular rush hour of 8am) then Mooresville would be more appealing as far as commute goes as it wouldnt be bad at all during those hours except on rare occasions.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:57 AM

533 posts, read 936,576 times
+1 Gaston County. Belmont, Cramerton, Lowell, Kings Mountain etc.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:02 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
+1 Gaston County. Belmont, Cramerton, Lowell, Kings Mountain etc.
I agree. I would add Gastonia to the list because of its central location to Kings Mountain, to the airport, to Belmont, and so forth, and within that centrality the OP would find some of the farm-to-table products in the more rural areas north of Dallas, south of Gastonia, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte