Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 09:32 AM

645 posts, read 1,079,549 times

Advertisements

We see 200- 300 crimes on Mecklenburg Mugs every week, but there's no reporting on them in the online newspapers. Instead, crime reporting focuses on southwest Charlotte, Monroe, Hickory, Lincolnton, and Iredell, Lancaster, Cabarrus and Rowan counties. What's with that? Only the spectacular crimes and automobile accidents get local coverage now.

Are we to believe that all of the meth labs are in Hickory and Lincolnton and York County in SC?
Are all the people on Mecklenburg mugs just "J" walkers and litterers?

A kid who works for me got robbed at gunpoint last week, but there was no mention of it in the news, not even TV.

What's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 09:05 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,211,934 times
So far on WCNC at 11:00pm on Saturday 12/28 (the first three stories):

Tar Heel fans celebrate uptown despite "recent uptown violence"

Car jacking and car chase on Friday in uptown

Sweepstakes parlor and drug bust somewhere in Charlotte

Old 12-29-2013, 05:47 AM

821 posts, read 1,867,730 times
It's the old "Dog bites man" approach to news. When the "Man bites the dog" it becomes news. In some areas, local newspapers post the crime reports and arrests. The Sheriff's web site shows the photos and if you click on the photo, you get the alleged crime. There has to be a better way so that one can scan a list or section of the city, i.e., CMPD division/neighborhood affected.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:57 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,567,058 times
What's up with that?[/quote]

Liberal media only reports what they think we need to hear about. The less we hear about how bad our crime is, and how we live in paradise, it makes everyone feel good and everyone is a winner. It's all about everyone smoking from the same bong!

My friend was robbed at gunpoint on Statesville road two weeks ago at a gas station in broad daylight. The cops acted like it was normal for that area. That's why I pack HEAT!

Old 12-29-2013, 03:01 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,322,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
What's up with that?

Liberal media only reports what they think we need to hear about. The less we hear about how bad our crime is, and how we live in paradise, it makes everyone feel good and everyone is a winner. It's all about everyone smoking from the same bong!

My friend was robbed at gunpoint on Statesville road two weeks ago at a gas station in broad daylight. The cops acted like it was normal for that area. That's why I pack HEAT!

Probably by his cousin. Sure, it's the liberal media owned and operated by conservative hacks. As long as some you think crime is only committed by mookie and junebug and there aren't prisons in Montana and South Dakota, it reinforces your warped perception of reality.

If you get robbed at gun point by a real thug, you might as well be carrying a bb gun, no way you get a chance in hell of using it...it'll probably get you killed.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:12 PM

645 posts, read 1,079,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
So far on WCNC at 11:00pm on Saturday 12/28 (the first three stories):

Tar Heel fans celebrate uptown despite "recent uptown violence"

Car jacking and car chase on Friday in uptown

Sweepstakes parlor and drug bust somewhere in Charlotte

They're all over three days old (the reference to uptown violence refers to something that happened at least three-four days ago).

Now count the number of reports for Lenoir (!), Lancaster, York, Iredell counties, and Monroe, and Statesville over the past month. One would be led to believe that there's very little crime in Mecklenburg county. THEN add the reports of crimes committed out-of state.

Compare all that to the number of criminals whose faces appear on Mecklenburg Mugs in a week's time. It doesn't add up.

It has nothing to do with "the liberal news media". It's about complicity among the media, the city council, and the police department. Try getting a police report online without names, dates and report number.

Almost NO meth lab busts in Mecklenburg county while they're being busted everywhere else. How believable is that?

Old 12-30-2013, 07:35 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,884,742 times
I think it is a bit odd but I don't know that it really deserves much more concern. I'd guess the local stations are doing what they can to keep ratings up and tailoring their reporting to that goal. I doubt there is some liberal conspiracy or any other nonsense.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:09 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,050,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
They're all over three days old (the reference to uptown violence refers to something that happened at least three-four days ago).

Now count the number of reports for Lenoir (!), Lancaster, York, Iredell counties, and Monroe, and Statesville over the past month. One would be led to believe that there's very little crime in Mecklenburg county. THEN add the reports of crimes committed out-of state.

Compare all that to the number of criminals whose faces appear on Mecklenburg Mugs in a week's time. It doesn't add up.

It has nothing to do with "the liberal news media". It's about complicity among the media, the city council, and the police department. Try getting a police report online without names, dates and report number.

Almost NO meth lab busts in Mecklenburg county while they're being busted everywhere else. How believable is that?
Meth tends to be a rural problem. You need space and secrecy to cook it. So it makes perfect sense that there are not many meth labs in Meck.

TV news is almost entirely reliant on newspaper reports. Bigger city newspapers have never been ones to cover every crime - it's just not worth it. The smaller papers in Monroe and Statesville (which can be pretty rough towns) do cover everything because it's easy fodder. The TV stations typically just re-phrase what they've read in the papers. And then the Observer just re-runs what the smaller papers have run.

It's no complicity; it's laziness and short staffing.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:24 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,567,058 times
If you get robbed at gun point by a real thug, you might as well be carrying a bb gun, no way you get a chance in hell of using it...it'll probably get you killed.[/quote]

Probably....the thug may use a BB gun. Heck, he may use a plastic butter knife too.

Conceding defeat like most liberals is not in my realm of reality. Having a weapon to level the playing field so that I can protect myself from a thug killing me is my game plan. You see, I do not smoke on the media BS bong where crime is concerned.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:11 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,322,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post

Probably....the thug may use a BB gun. Heck, he may use a plastic butter knife too.

Conceding defeat like most liberals is not in my realm of reality. Having a weapon to level the playing field so that I can protect myself from a thug killing me is my game plan. You see, I do not smoke on the media BS bong where crime is concerned.
I have plenty of weapons/guns and have known a real thug or two in my life. You don't stand a chance if they get the first move and 99.9% of the time they'll get the first move. Just give 'em the cash and go home so you can play more internet (conservative) tough guy with a gun instead of being a dead guy.

I do think the media picks and choses which crimes they consider worth reporting but random muggings, DWIs and robberies are pretty common in larger cities. Drug bust and car chases are much more dramatic and provide the Hollywood effect. I don't think it's some media conspiracy to cloak actual crime rate or incidents because most people are savvy enough to know what's happening in and around their fair city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte