Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:17 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,518,653 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I've got a pretty long post for you to read.

Let me first say that I live in downtown, practically across the street from the arena, breakfast club and below our condo is a few nightlife joints. Noise is nothing new and it's what you'd expect or even have to want to live this close to town. Recently, a newer place has just opened up (can't remember the name, but it claims to be an art lounge) and I thought it was pretty awesome to see small businesses expanding so close to the city. The place did seem to appeal to mainly blacks but they weren't ghetto in any sense of the word. Every time I would pass by, they would nod or say hi, whatever. Really nice people. Now though, this entire block is starting to look and sound like some kind of upscale Detroit projects. The crowd out front of the club has changed into a nasty, loud group of thugs that if you so much as look at the wrong way, you get told you're gonna get "rolled up on, *****". Countless times, I'll see them harass random people walking down the sidewalk or make disgusting comments about people right as they pass.

I figured, "fine, whatever, this won't last long if they're acting like that".

It's lasted long enough. I began typing this at 1:03 AM on a ****ing Wednesday/Thursday? after being woken up 5 or 6 minutes ago by what sounded and felt like the shock of gun shots right below my apartment, followed by the loudest ****ing music a piece of **** speaker system is capable of playing. The first thing I did was try to dial the police but the car was already on the block of 6th and College when I found my phone. If there's another incident like this, and I'm positive there will be, how should I go about reporting the incident to the right people? I'd rather not call 911 as it's not really an emergency but it is seriously time this is dealt with.

Thanks.

*Side Note* Kalu, the other nightlife type place in our building seems pretty awesome and clearly tries very hard to appeal to people and be friendly. I'd hate to see that business effected by the trash around the corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 01:54 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,790 times
What about calling 311 and reporting it to the police as a non emergency. When you say the car was right down the block, did they make them turn down the music?

Are you renting your place? If so it sounds like a good time to move

Old 06-28-2012, 06:10 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Could you buy a loud box floor fan to drown out the outside? Maybe a sleep noise machine?

The reality is that you chose to live downtown and must accept that nightclubs are nearby....

Old 06-28-2012, 08:12 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
Really, the only thing you can do is call 311 but police usually can't do anything or don't take this stuff seriously (IMO). Stories like this one are one of the reasons I moved out to the burbs. Nice and quiet like out here.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:33 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,518,653 times
Like I said earlier, the routine noise doesn't bother me at all. This wasn't your average fire truck or car passing with loud music. It seriously sounded so loud, you would think I had turned a stereo to max in my apartment. I understand my decision to live here but come on, there's a point where it's just ridiculous.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be sure to call 311 next time and hope it's taken seriously.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:29 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,236 times
We regularly have police attend our neighborhood meetings and they direct us to call 911 for noise complaints. And since your complaints are in "off" hours, I don't think anyone would answer 311 anyway.

As a matter of fact, the police tell us to call 911 to report everything from suspicious persons/activity and vehicles to illegally parked cars.

From my experience, the police do respond to noise complaints.

Either way, good luck.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:02 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,266 times
Perhaps a complaint or 20 to the building owner and manager would help.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:41 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Make sure the complaints are in writing. Sounds like the lounge was a great idea but unfortunately the regulars ended up being the typical rowdy party crowd who spends money and shows up religiously. I doubt they will turn them away though because the place has to pay the bills.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:22 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,515,517 times
I have hear from the cops down in that area to call 911...for any type of complaint. Calling 311 you will not get any help in off hours like another poster has said. Hearing something that sounds like a gun shot would certainly qualify as suspicious. And likely they would respond to something like that.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:06 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Could you buy a loud box floor fan to drown out the outside? Maybe a sleep noise machine?

The reality is that you chose to live downtown and must accept that nightclubs are nearby....
Threatening thugs and gunshots are unacceptable anywhere close to my home, regardless of where I live.

OP-I'd call 911 anytime I heard shots, or substantial noise beyond what is acceptable by city ordinance. If I was directly threatened by a street thug, I'd call the police immediately. We do not need trash hanging around our city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte