Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 10:57 AM

415 posts, read 606,991 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Charlotte for my business. Before I do I have two things to iron out: copperhead snakes and a doctor who will see my autistic son without vaccinating him. Before anyone gets too emotional I'm not Anti-Vaccine, my son was quite normal before having some bad reactions to vaccines. I am not implying cause and effect either, I just fear the worst if we give him more shots.

And please PM me, I don't want doctors to get publicly known and back-lashed for helping a family.

Last edited by Metairie; 09-02-2013 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: please private message me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 11:12 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times
The chance of encountering a copperhead in a situation that might be dangerous to you is just about zero. If that is truly a concern, then you will have many other things to be concerned about.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:35 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,816,782 times
Finding a no vaccine pedi will be easy enough. Where in the world would a doctor get backlash for not administering vaccines? On the second thought, don't even answer that.

As for copperheads, yeah no.

Last edited by momtothree; 09-02-2013 at 11:46 AM..

Old 09-02-2013, 11:41 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,194,850 times
Please don't bring your unvaccinated offspring to my town.

I've seen more copperheads than ever this year. Including one in a neighborhood park.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post

I've seen more copperheads than ever this year. Including one in a neighborhood park.
I thought you were joking but then I just googled it. We do have copperheads here. I did not know this. (nor do I care since I am from FL)

Old 09-02-2013, 11:48 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,614 times
Oh, c'mon. How many people get copperhead bites that are not reaching around under brush or woodpiles? I'd be more concerned about deer ticks here. I usually do pick a few off every summer.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:59 AM

I am more concerned about my autistic son or dogs getting bit not knowing how to walk away from a snake. I'll be fine around them.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
May god bless you and your family. Should you have any major struggles in life I hope that you don't get the same response you have given me.

My son has most of his vaccines. As long as you are vaccinated you shouldn't really have any concern.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:15 PM

I would stay move to the highly populated areas but there was a 3 foot copperhead in Ballantyne which is pretty completely built up. Plus I saw we were number 1 state in 2010 for the most copperhead bites. It's a tough call.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:04 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,568,640 times
Metairie,

I have rarely seen copperheads although I know they are here. My house backs up to a small creek and when my kids were little we used to put on our boots and walk the creek for hours - never saw a copperhead. Just be aware when you outside and you will be fine.

About the vaccines. I can't imagine how I would feel if I believed my child had a reaction to vaccines but I read that most children are diagnosed with autism when they are about 2-3 years old. Would it not seem easy then to blame vaccines? As many vaccines as children are required to have now I would encourage spacing the vaccinations out as much as possible but I would never 'not vaccinate' my child. The benefits far outweigh the risks in my opinion.

I hope that if you chose to not vaccinate you will keep your children away from other kids unless you let their parents know that your child is not vaccinated. I personally would not have wanted my child around unvaccinated children. When my son went off to college a few years ago I was upset to find out that unvaccinated kids could fill out a 'waiver' and be allowed to live in the dorms. If you choose not to vaccinate I should be able to choose to not have my child near yours.

I know the argument of 'if you have vaccinated your kids why worry?'. Because babies, pregnant women and those with compromised immune systems are at risk. If more people than not choose not to vaccinate we will see a resurgence of the diseases that we have almost eliminated. When my children were small we almost never heard about whooping cough but it is making a comeback due to parents choosing not to vaccinate. It takes all of us to eradicate disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte