Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 01:05 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,044,137 times

Advertisements

Please re-consider - you're endangering your son, your family, and anyone who comes in contact with him exponentially more than the risk of a snake bite by not vaccinating. You either don't care about this or are misinformed of the dangers. You need to understand that it's not about "if you have your vaccines, you shouldn't be concerned"... vaccines only work long term when everyone is getting them.

Regardless of whether you find a physician who will honor your request, you won't be able to register for school - thankfully. Otherwise, why are you concerned about a doctor who "forces" them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 01:09 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,539,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Metairie,

I have rarely seen copperheads although I know they are here. My house backs up to a small creek and when my kids were little we used to put on our boots and walk the creek for hours - never saw a copperhead. Just be aware when you outside and you will be fine.

About the vaccines. I can't imagine how I would feel if I believed my child had a reaction to vaccines but I read that most children are diagnosed with autism when they are about 2-3 years old. Would it not seem easy then to blame vaccines? As many vaccines as children are required to have now I would encourage spacing the vaccinations out as much as possible but I would never 'not vaccinate' my child. The benefits far outweigh the risks in my opinion.

I hope that if you chose to not vaccinate you will keep your children away from other kids unless you let their parents know that your child is not vaccinated. I personally would not have wanted my child around unvaccinated children. When my son went off to college a few years ago I was upset to find out that unvaccinated kids could fill out a 'waiver' and be allowed to live in the dorms. If you choose not to vaccinate I should be able to choose to not have my child near yours.

I know the argument of 'if you have vaccinated your kids why worry?'. Because babies, pregnant women and those with compromised immune systems are at risk. If more people than not choose not to vaccinate we will see a resurgence of the diseases that we have almost eliminated. When my children were small we almost never heard about whooping cough but it is making a comeback due to parents choosing not to vaccinate. It takes all of us to eradicate disease.

Please, please educate yourself before telling such untruths...the resurgence of whooping cough and also measles is not stemming from children whose parents choose not to vaccinate. It is coming from mexico and other nations being brought into this "melting pot".

It is a parents right to not choose to vaccinate just as much as it anothers to vaccinate.....but before speaking please clarify that such things as you have posted here are just that your thoughts and opinions. You are trying to pass off your opinion as fact and you are wayyyy off base.

Last edited by sundrop; 09-02-2013 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: TypoH!

Old 09-02-2013, 01:16 PM

9 posts, read 9,929 times
Almost got bitten by a copperhead that curled up right under my front door. Big thing, must have been 5 or 6 feet long. At a different house there was another one in the yard. Cat charmed it into a stupor. They have this ability.

Both places were in Charlotte.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:35 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,583,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Please, please educate yourself before telling such untruths...the resurgence of whooping cough and also measles is not stemming from children whose parents choose not to vaccinate. It is coming from mexico and other nations being brought into this "melting pot".

It is a parents right to not choose to vaccinate just as much as it anothers to vaccinate.....but before speaking please clarify that such things as you have posted here are just that your thoughts and opinions. You are trying to pass off your opinion as fact and you are wayyyy off base.
Please, please tell me why you think I speak an untruth. I have researched the information on whooping cough and have spoken to a pediatrician that I trust about the resurgence.

I assume you have proof that the confirmed cases of whooping cough are all coming from Mexico and other nations? That no cases have originated here due to lack of vaccination? I am sure you have this data as you are certainly passing it off as fact?

Old 09-02-2013, 01:44 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,539,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Please, please tell me why you think I speak an untruth. I have researched the information on whooping cough and have spoken to a pediatrician that I trust about the resurgence.

I assume you have proof that the confirmed cases of whooping cough are all coming from Mexico and other nations? That no cases have originated here due to lack of vaccination? I am sure you have this data as you are certainly passing it off as fact?
All one has to do is READ and they will quickly learn the facts. But they also have have sense enough to know that MSM is not the place to get this information.

I guess your trusted pediatrician also has told you that those who have been vaccinated have also been touched by these issues.

Again, stop passing your opinion off as fact.....there are pros and cons to this issue and it is up to the person involved as to what is best for them.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:48 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,583,642 times
Quote:
All one has to do is READ and they will quickly learn the facts. But they also have have sense enough to know that MSM is not the place to get this information.

I guess your trusted pediatrician also has told you that those who have been vaccinated have also been touched by these issues.

Again, stop passing your opinion off as fact.....there are pros and cons to this issue and it is up to the person involved as to what is best for them.
I am willing to admit I am wrong if you can prove it. Can you?

Old 09-02-2013, 01:51 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,975,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Please re-consider - you're endangering your son, your family, and anyone who comes in contact with him exponentially more than the risk of a snake bite by not vaccinating. You either don't care about this or are misinformed of the dangers. You need to understand that it's not about "if you have your vaccines, you shouldn't be concerned"... vaccines only work long term when everyone is getting them.

Regardless of whether you find a physician who will honor your request, you won't be able to register for school - thankfully. Otherwise, why are you concerned about a doctor who "forces" them?
You can attend school without being vaccinated. There are waivers that one can get.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:22 PM

415 posts, read 608,658 times
I've read quite a lot. There is a good argument to or not too vaccinate. I think most people should vaccinate. My son had a terrible reaction and now has High Functioning Autism known as PDD. I fear the next one won't go over so well. If you know a good pediatrician that will see my son without forcing any other vaccines on me I would really be grateful. If you know one please PM me.

There are lots of discovered links to autism, yet no known cause for all of it. North Carolina has lead a lot of research in this department too.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:45 PM

415 posts, read 608,658 times
The pertussis is more similar to the flu. It can change. One of my friends kids had pertussis vaccine, and still caught whooping cough.
Whooping Cough Bacteria May Be Changing Their Ways In Australia : Shots - Health News : NPR
Some Whooping Cough Strains Now Outsmarting Vaccine - US News and World Report

Old 09-02-2013, 02:50 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,042,840 times
Quote:
It's actually more complex than that

Whooping cough coming back with a vengeance

Quote:
"It's of epidemic proportions," said the CDC's (Center for Disease Control) Dr. Tom Clark. "This is the largest number of cases we've seen since the 1950s."
Many of the cases are in 10-year-olds who got the whooping cough vaccine as children but haven't yet received the booster shot recommended at age 11.
"Kids who are 10 years of age, about three in ten kids, are still susceptible, despite having been vaccinated. So really, the majority of the cases are occurring in vaccinated but susceptible kids," Clark explained.
Experts are also seeing a high number of cases in young teens who got the booster.
They say the shot still works, but maybe not as well as they thought.
"It looks now like the protection is wearing off, but we're not sure to what degree, so that's the focus of our investigations," Clark said.

Still, if you don't vaccinate, have a care about those to whom you might expose should an outbreak occur in this area

Francesca McNally: Heart-breaking story of parents whose baby girl died of whooping cough after four doctors failed to recognise it and they didn't get jab | Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte