Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 06:02 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm in the process of cutting the cord again, this time dumping Dish TV 11 months in to a 24 month contract. The killer is, I ordered some new toys (I mean hardware) for OTA PVR before cancelling and they made me an offer that is better than the ETF fee which kind of doesn't make sense to me but I'm not that big of a fool to pay more for nothing. Ironically, the Hopper DVR has DLNA client so I can watch stuff from PlayOn from my computer. (It also has Bluetooth and I'm pretty sure NFC. Pretty advanced hardware for satco).

Anyway, I'll still cut the cord since for some reason I've only been watching locals, Doctor who and the fake news on Comedy Central. The deal in case you were wondering is $20 per month for I have no idea what channels besides local but CC is still coming in though perhaps not HD. I can't tell because the picture is still really good but it is widescreen shrunk to fit a standard TV but IDC it's a good price with locals in HD. NO DVR FEE for 6 months! That's what sealed the deal. We went from $50 cheapest package with DVR to $20 total. My negotiating tip: silence. Saved $10 per month by not saying anything. Americans are uncomfortable when no one is talking.

Anywho, I picked up a Home Run network tuner to supplement my internal PCI tuner because it was on sale at B&H and Amazon was nice enough to match the $69 price. This device allows the tuner to be on the network instead of directly hooked to the TV. If you don't understand what I just said you probably want to skip to the next section.

Specifically the device is the SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL High Definition Digital TV Tuner HDHR3-US (Black). It has two tuners and the coolest dang thing is with Windows Media Center multiple computers can "see" the tuners and think that they are dedicated to that box. Each computer can "seize" a tuner on demand. This plus the internal card and the Hopper means I can record 7 network prime time shows at the same time but God knows I never will. Well the Hopper records the 4 networks in prime time by default which is cool but as I hinted, I'm not watching much TV so I rarely go back in time to find something.

With my Terk HDTVa I recive very strong signals from 3, 9, 18, 36, 46, 55, 58, and 64. I'm close to Mt. Holly but still in Charlotte limits. The only thing really want is 42 but 30 would be nice.

The HDTVa is directional. Recommendations from industry sites say I need a medium omnidirectional for 42. Something perhaps like the Channel Master CM-3000HD. I have a splitter combiner coming in hopefully today. This should allow me to combine the two antennas in to one and then split them between the two coax receivers.

So, the short question after all that is who is getting a good signal on 42 in NW Charlotte and what antenna are you using?

PS: Other projects include caller ID for Media Center which is cool though I'm going to have 4 modems before I finish. I wanted caller ID popup when watching Media Center which I will also use to pull down Doctor Who through a UK proxy (shhhh) which will allow perfect HD beamed to the XBOX with no commercials. The caller ID app has an option to pause the program when the phone rings. That's a nice touch.

All of this hooks in to an Obi 202 to control the phone system which I will be pure VOIP after my UVERSE contract is up. The Obi allows the hook in of Google Voice which is free so you could go as low as $40 for the device and a free (even ported) phone number from Google though they might start charging at some point. The 202 can handle 4 providers either Google or SIP. I'm using Anveo for a couple (OK more like 10) phone numbers divided between two sip appearances and a POTS via USB so I can take calls from UVERSE through the device which gives me caller ID by name. It also has a Bluetooth add on so I can make outgoing calls through my cell phone or have it ring my line 2 when a cell phone comes in. And if you order today (jk) you can have SMS messages appear as caller ID on your home phone. Someone texts your GV or SIP (Anveo charges a whopping 1 cent for SMS incoming) your home phone rings once and displays the message. Nerd heaven. Oh, *78 puts on DND for all sources so it silents all incoming sources from ringing through the Obi. And I just saw that one talking caller ID software speak out an incoming text message but I'm not sure how. No hardware is hooked up to that client. Hmmm.

So, that's probably the geekeist thing I've posted. I'm spending a few hundred on toys but my TV bill is going from $55 per month (first year) to $90 per month (no, no) to $20 per month for six months then cancel. Add Amazon Prime for $79 for on demand stuff and possible rentals now and then (and free 2nd day shipping though stuff coming out of Columbia ships that fast anyway). Phone is currently $25 for 250 minutes (a total rip) and will go to $30 (no), I mean less than $20 for all the bells and whistles of multiple phone numbers all over the world (cost as low as nothing for incoming 40 minutes or unlimited for $2 per month and 1 cent per minute outgoing but that's where I use GV for).

And I get to record 7 TV shows at once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 07:13 AM

279 posts, read 447,864 times
I looked up your antenna. The curled metal bits on the horizontal piece is for UHF. The two adjustable elements are for VHF. WTVI is the only VHF station in the area. It broadcasts on real channel 11.

On that particular antenna I suggest adjusting the two VHF elements so they are horizontal and making them a length of about 35-36 inches in total. (or is it 28?) It might be more or less depending upon construction. You will then want to turn them in the direction of WTVI. If this doesn't work, you need a better location or a better antenna. Don't put the antenna near your TV.

I have an antenna in the attic that picks up WTVI without any issues. Keep in mind that some of these antennas are quite dodgy. The amp might be causing more trouble than it's worth. If you go for something else then I suggest something more tried & true and simple. Remember this rule of thumb, plastic doesn't receive broadcasts so don't spend money on it.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
I looked up your antenna. The curled metal bits on the horizontal piece is for UHF. The two adjustable elements are for VHF. WTVI is the only VHF station in the area. It broadcasts on real channel 11.

On that particular antenna I suggest adjusting the two VHF elements so they are horizontal and making them a length of about 35-36 inches in total. It might be more or less depending upon construction. You will then want to turn them in the direction of WTVI. If this doesn't work, you need a better location or a better antenna.

I have an antenna in the attic that picks up WTVI without any issues.
Thanks. I had a feeling you'd chime in. What do you have in the attic? I'm cool with replacing what I have or adding something just for the VHF but I for sure will try your idea though I have no idea where WTVI is in reference to the antenna. I wonder if there's an app for that.

Edit: Apparently there is an app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...per.free&hl=en

Old 08-16-2013, 07:55 AM

Since you are in Mt. Holly, 3, 36, 46 & 55 should be receivable with a paperclip stuck in the back of your TV. 9, 18, 43, 58, & 64 will be more problematic since they are at the more distant E. CLT antenna farm. (58 is at an oddball location in Concord) You will want to look for a VHF-HI/UHF antenna pointed at the E. CLT location. There is no such thing as a HDTV or HD antenna. That is just marketing.

I'm using a combination of antennas, one hand built, so probably won't work for you without a lot more detailed technical discussion.

Something like this should do the job if you are not surrounded by trees. If you connect it with a long run of coax, more than 50 ft. then you might have to consider a pre-amp. If you are luck you might also pickup WHKY 14.1-14.4 (main channel sucks, but there is also Retrotv, Tufftv, & PBJ) They have a very weak translator located at that farm too.

Amazon.com: Channel Master CM2016 HDTV VHF High Band and UHF Antenna: Electronics

(It's been my observation the local chains sell garbage for antennas.)

Old 08-16-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
(It's been my observation the local chains sell garbage for antennas.)
Yeah. I'm happy with the antenna I have and it's quite possible it will work fine with your advise. I'm just not ready to get up right now. I did find an app that I can stream TV to my smart phone so at least I can aim and check at the same time without running up and down stairs.

Amazon.com : SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL High Definition Digital TV Tuner HDHR3-US (Black) : External Tv Tuners : Electronics is the new tuner toy.

14 would be OK but I'm just not watching much. 42 is all I'm lacking and I'd like it for local stuff and God forbid local government stuff on the big TV.

What do you think of this voodoo? Amazon.com: Leaf Plus Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna: Electronics

Channel Master's website implies Amazon.com: Channel Master Omni-directional SMARTenna: Electronics should work for 42 in my location but I'm skeptical.

This is the splitter/combiner: Amazon.com: 4-Way CATV 5-2300 Mhz Signal Solder Back Splitter Combiner: Electronics I'd like to hook radio up too but I don't really have a reason with online casts.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:30 AM

I forgot to mention. You should also be able to pick up WSPA 7, and it's 2nd channel (I don't remember the number.) WSPA is a nice alternative to WBTV given their tendency to preempt CBS for Raycom sports.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post

What do you think of this voodoo? Amazon.com: Leaf Plus Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna: Electronics

Channel Master's website implies Amazon.com: Channel Master Omni-directional SMARTenna: Electronics should work for 42 in my location but I'm skeptical.

This is the splitter/combiner: Amazon.com: 4-Way CATV 5-2300 Mhz Signal Solder Back Splitter Combiner: Electronics I'd like to hook radio up too but I don't really have a reason with online casts.
IMO, the Mohu Leaf is way overpriced and over hyped. I does fit a certain niche of buyer but it's basically some foil pressed between two pieces of plastic. I hate to rag on them too much since it's a North Carolina company, but they could put out better antennas.

The Smartenna looks even worse.

You don't need a 5-2300Mhz splitter. OTA is always below 900MHz and in Charlotte the highest frequency in use is less than 700 MHz. Stick to the 5-1000Mhz splitters. Keep in mind that a splitter reduces the signal on the cable by 50%. You want to minimize it or use a pre-amp.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:42 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
I am the opposite, I watch almost nothing on local channels. Most of the shows I like are cable channels. But between Hulu and other sources, I think I will be able to cut my own cord next year if more of the channels I watch can be more readily had by other sources.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I am the opposite, I watch almost nothing on local channels. Most of the shows I like are cable channels. But between Hulu and other sources, I think I will be able to cut my own cord next year if more of the channels I watch can be more readily had by other sources.
Well, I owe Barфsa lunch! Pulling out the VHF segments worked on the first try! Coolio.

Depending on how you are watching Hulu, you might consider PlayOn which allows you to transcode Hulu without having Hulu Plus. Plus isn't expensive but for me I'm only after two shows.

Thanks Barфsa.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
IMO, the Mohu Leaf is way overpriced and over hyped. I does fit a certain niche of buyer but it's basically some foil pressed between two pieces of plastic. I hate to rag on them too much since it's a North Carolina company, but they could put out better antennas.

The Smartenna looks even worse.

You don't need a 5-2300Mhz splitter. OTA is always below 900MHz and in Charlotte the highest frequency in use is less than 700 MHz. Stick to the 5-1000Mhz splitters. Keep in mind that a splitter reduces the signal on the cable by 50%. You want to minimize it or use a pre-amp.
There is a preamp (or some sort of amp) on the Terk. I'll report back when done. If it sucks then I'll take it off. It's already in the mail so I'll try it. I don't need three tuners and really I don't need any except maybe for side channels not on Dish.

I like the tinkering more than the using. Didn't realize Mohu was local. I was too skeptical to try it especially with the success of the antenna I'm already using. I'll consider the other attic antenna maybe for far away stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte