Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:08 PM

238 posts, read 567,954 times

Advertisements

Due to overcrowding Union County schools will be adding portable classrooms.

I have a question, possibly stupid, but here goes. I've noticed all elementary schools and most middle schools are one floor. Would the overcrowding problem be solved if they built school buildings with multiple floors? Portables aren't exactly nice looking. I don't get why all schools here in NC are one story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 01:13 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
This means taxes will be going up soon in Union County.

Seems like adding a 2nd floor would solve the problem.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:54 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,634 times
Its because the schools are built based on a set population. The population fluctuates, and the cheapest thing to do is to add portable classrooms, that they can move to the schools that need them.

We had portable classrooms in our elementary school a few years back, because there was a big boom of young kids. We haven't had to have them for a few years now, but now the middle school needs them, because those kids are moving up. The highschool will need them in a few years. Our kindergarten class is the smallest that there has ever been at our school, and if that trend continues, we will have more empty classrooms than we already have. If every school was built to accommodate all the students of their highest population year, we would be left with vacant buildings in a few years.

Union County has a great population study that pretty much shows a mouse in a snake affect that happened when the building boom had young families moving in... once that mouse moves through, and you get more empty nesters and young couples, we won't have a space issue.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:56 PM

430 posts, read 804,550 times
My guess is that with the economy getting better, they'll go back to their original plan to add more schools. I know by me they were planning on two elementary schools, and the last I heard was that they backed it down to only one, and they had pushed the date back. I wouldn't be surprised if it was open in the next 10 years or so. Our elementary school has trailers and is only six years old, and one next door has been open even less time. Crazy how fast everything is growing down here again.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
We were in Weddington schools and they are HUGE. Many empty classrooms too. I think the newer schools in Marvin and Weddington were built that way to anticipate the growth of the area. And when the older UCPS were built, Union county was nothing like it is nowadays.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:02 PM

430 posts, read 804,550 times
Are Weddington schools new? I had assumed they'd been around for a while.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:17 PM

930 posts, read 2,161,834 times
They used portables at Porter Ridge Elementary when we moved here. That was 5 years ago. There were 1000 students in the elementary school. They built Poplin Elementary and it split. That was about 4 years ago. The portables have sat empty all of that time. I always wondered why they didn't move them to an area where they were needed, I know it would cost, but it's got to be cheaper than building.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:26 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralaylin View Post
Are Weddington schools new? I had assumed they'd been around for a while.
Weddington M/H Schools were opened in 1999. They then split the school when they added Marvin Ridge in 2007. Then Weddington & Marvin Ridge were split when they built Cuthbertson more recently (don't know exact year).

Old 07-24-2013, 02:44 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
My son is going to the new charter school in Cabarrus county. It's two stories.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:47 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
New to me as in 10 years or so. ;D Coming from Myers Park Traditional Elementary, WES and WMS was definitely new to me. And it's the Weddington Elementary and Middle that shares the building. The high school is across the field in it's own building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte