Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2007, 11:22 AM

12 posts, read 46,477 times

Advertisements

Hello again,

Everyone here has been very helpful, and I am sure many of the questions that I ask can have different opinions.

Again, we are relocating with a 14 yr. old entering 10th grade in September and I really want to make sure that I am picking the right school district we are coming from Long Island, he really doesn't want to move, so we are trying to make the transition as easy as possible, can anyone offer insight on the differences btwn the Union and Cabarrus county school districts?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 02:08 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRENEE View Post
Hello again,

Everyone here has been very helpful, and I am sure many of the questions that I ask can have different opinions.

Again, we are relocating with a 14 yr. old entering 10th grade in September and I really want to make sure that I am picking the right school district we are coming from Long Island, he really doesn't want to move, so we are trying to make the transition as easy as possible, can anyone offer insight on the differences btwn the Union and Cabarrus county school districts?

Thanks
go to greatschools.net
there u can do a comparision of the schools/school districts...

Union County
(weddington) weddington hs
(marvin/waxhaw) Marvin Ridge
(indian Trail) Porter Ridge
Indian Trail sun Valley

and someone pls chime in and put the ones Im missing...I only know of these..my friend from NY is sending her dd to Porter Ridge HS as she is going into 9th grade..all the schools above are really good

sorry cant assist with cabarrus County..also in case I missed some high schools when u go to that site just type in Union county NC they will bring up all the schools

Good Luck to you

Old 05-21-2007, 07:17 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,319,732 times
Default Union County High Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMOMOFTWO View Post
go to greatschools.net
there u can do a comparision of the schools/school districts...

Union County
(weddington) weddington hs
(marvin/waxhaw) Marvin Ridge
(indian Trail) Porter Ridge
Indian Trail sun Valley

and someone pls chime in and put the ones Im missing...I only know of these..my friend from NY is sending her dd to Porter Ridge HS as she is going into 9th grade..all the schools above are really good

sorry cant assist with cabarrus County..also in case I missed some high schools when u go to that site just type in Union county NC they will bring up all the schools

Good Luck to you
From the Union County Public Schools website, here is a link to all of the Union County high schools. I recommend clicking on the website link to the individual schools and just plundering around on their websites to get a feel for what is going on at that particular school.

Union County High Schools
http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/schools/highdir.php (broken link)

Old 05-21-2007, 01:00 PM

3 posts, read 14,621 times
Both are very good. Stay away from Monroe area of Union county. Yuck! There is a brand new High School opening in Cabarrus County. It's called Hickory Ridge High School and it's loacted in Harrisburg. It's supposed to be really nice.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:37 PM

177 posts, read 552,336 times
In Union County, Piedmont middle and high schools are also good.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:09 AM

999 posts, read 4,651,484 times
OK, just noticed the original post is old....but I'll leave my post as it may be helpful to others.
If your son really isn't into moving be careful if you end up in Union county, and check development/construction going on in Cabarrus county. I'm in Union County and there are new schools (middle/high) opening up for at least the next two school years, probably more; moving once you may get by without too much trouble on his part, but once he gets settled and then finds out he has to change schools may be more than he's willing to take easily. Moving very close to a school might ensure some stability even when new schools open, but no guarantees even then. In our case, we live something like 8 miles from my daughter's current middle school, but there will be a new one opening right across the street from our subdivision, so it's likely we'll end up there in 2010.
Cabarrus county does not seem to have the level of growth we've been experiencing here in Union County so may not have as much redistricting and/or new school construction.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,530 times
I moved out of Cabarrus school district when my son got into middle school because the school district is not very strong in technology. Union county is much better, heck even CMS is stronger tech wise. From what I heard the guy ahead of technology is not very strong and really doesn't know what he is doing. Read the tech report, look at their web site, you can tell they are not strong in technology. My son is in 8th grade now, and he is still behind most of the kids with his tech skills but we are alot better off now. Just be smart, it will effect your child the rest of their lives.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,889 times
Drenee- We looked at moving my daughter from Union County to Cabarrus County and I talked her mother out of it. The school she is scheduled to go to in Union County is an "Honor school of excellence" with extremely high student test scores. The Cabarrus County school was considered a "School of Progress" by the State and its scores were much lower. Visit the NC School Report Card website for more information.

In addition, I am a Realtor in the Charlotte area, so I know how your choice of schools will impact your neighborhood's value. If you need further assistance please let me know.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:31 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,706 times
Uh..since that post is 2 years old, I suspect Drene's daughter has graduated by now. But nice try anyway...

Old 05-20-2009, 04:57 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Uh..since that post is 2 years old, I suspect Drene's daughter has graduated by now. But nice try anyway...
He knows that, however he'll still shamefully advertise anyway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte