Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 10,086 times

Advertisements

My husband has been relocated to Salisbury which means I need a good high school that is computer and soccer centric as well as a place to live! From my online sleuthing, I am leaning toward Mooresville, Cox Mills and Jesse C Carson high schools. I fear Carson may be too rural? Mooresville traffic seems scary for my soon to be driving son? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 08:08 PM

385 posts, read 734,805 times
Salisbury High has some of the best technology in the state- at least they did a few years ago. Their soccer is pretty good too.

Smaller school- smaller town. Very reasonable housing prices.

The Bury is a pretty unique town.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 PM

4,041 posts, read 5,003,717 times
Cox Mill High is located in Concord which is a nice area but it would be at least a 20 mile commute one way each day for your husband. I would check out the town of Salisbury first. If your ok with the commute then Cox Mill would be worth it. What is your housing budget?

Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 PM

We would like to stay around $350,000

Old 06-03-2013, 08:39 PM

I have never heard of the Bury? Will have to investigate

Old 06-03-2013, 08:41 PM

You could check out Cannon Crossing,Cabarrus side of Highland Creek,Moss Creek,Cabarrus side of Skybrook,Wellington Chase,The Farm at Riverpointe to name a few neighborhoods within your budget in Cox Mill district.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniaP View Post
I have never heard of the Bury? Will have to investigate
They are referring to Salisbury.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:01 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,777,581 times
$350K will get you a lot in Rowan County. Much more than it would in Concord or Mooresville. Carson isn't very rural. West, South, and East are rural.
I know nothing about soccer. I also know very little about schools in Cabarrus County. Rowan-Salisbury Schools have ranked in the top-10 nationally for technology 2 years in a row. Carson is a newer school, and I believe all classrooms have ActivBoards. I'm not sure what the laptop/computer ratio is. Mooresville Graded Schools has a 1:1 laptop program. President Obama is actually coming here Thursday to learn about it. (If you live on the other side of Mooresville, you are in Iredell-Statesville, and they do not have the 1:1 program.)

I commute from Mooresville to Salisbury daily. I live just a few miles from the county line and I can get to work in 30 minutes most days. If you live much farther into Mooresville, his commute could be well over an hour. That would also get you out of the Mooresville Graded Schools. From a commuting aspect, I'd rather do Mooresville to Salisbury than Concord to Salisbury. 85 can be a pain pretty often, causing a reasonable commute to be torturous. After you get past Highway 801 in Mooreville, the traffic would disappear. Of course, it is curvy/hilly 2 lane roads that are impossible to pass on, and you can always count on someone going 5-10 MPH under the speed limit

Old 06-04-2013, 07:58 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,452,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
$350K will get you a lot in Rowan County. Much more than it would in Concord or Mooresville. Carson isn't very rural. West, South, and East are rural.
I know nothing about soccer. I also know very little about schools in Cabarrus County. Rowan-Salisbury Schools have ranked in the top-10 nationally for technology 2 years in a row. Carson is a newer school, and I believe all classrooms have ActivBoards. I'm not sure what the laptop/computer ratio is. Mooresville Graded Schools has a 1:1 laptop program. President Obama is actually coming here Thursday to learn about it. (If you live on the other side of Mooresville, you are in Iredell-Statesville, and they do not have the 1:1 program.)

I commute from Mooresville to Salisbury daily. I live just a few miles from the county line and I can get to work in 30 minutes most days. If you live much farther into Mooresville, his commute could be well over an hour. That would also get you out of the Mooresville Graded Schools. From a commuting aspect, I'd rather do Mooresville to Salisbury than Concord to Salisbury. 85 can be a pain pretty often, causing a reasonable commute to be torturous. After you get past Highway 801 in Mooreville, the traffic would disappear. Of course, it is curvy/hilly 2 lane roads that are impossible to pass on, and you can always count on someone going 5-10 MPH under the speed limit
Not sure that Salisbury is that much cheaper than Mooresville or Concord. Also- I don't think that living on the other side of Mooresville ie 28117 zip, closer to the Lake Norman, is going to add that much onto the commute depending on what time you leave. What time do you commute to work?
Iredell Statesville schools don't have the 1:1 system-for which I'm pleased (or son graduates this week). I think kids spend enough time looking at screens in one way or another and laptop computers weren't designed for hours of constant use with regard to potential health problems. I believe ISS are thinking about the 1:1 for the future.

To the OP-Mooresville traffic isn't particularly scary - the new I-77 intersection with Brawley School Rd will opening this month which will help with traffic on HWY 150 and if he does his drivers ed' here then he should be better prepared for driving in the future

Old 06-04-2013, 12:55 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,800,982 times
Salisbury High has a tremendous amount of support in the community. It was recently ranked very on one of those high school rating deals. Lot of tech and a great track record for college bound students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte