Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:11 AM

4 posts, read 10,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
They are referring to Salisbury.
Thanks! I figured that out later. (I am such a nerd!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 11:45 AM

124 posts, read 242,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Not sure that Salisbury is that much cheaper than Mooresville or Concord. Also- I don't think that living on the other side of Mooresville ie 28117 zip, closer to the Lake Norman, is going to add that much onto the commute depending on what time you leave. What time do you commute to work?
Iredell Statesville schools don't have the 1:1 system-for which I'm pleased (or son graduates this week). I think kids spend enough time looking at screens in one way or another and laptop computers weren't designed for hours of constant use with regard to potential health problems. I believe ISS are thinking about the 1:1 for the future.

To the OP-Mooresville traffic isn't particularly scary - the new I-77 intersection with Brawley School Rd will opening this month which will help with traffic on HWY 150 and if he does his drivers ed' here then he should be better prepared for driving in the future
Salisbury is alot cheaper then Mooresville and somewhat cheaper then Concord...I have lived in all 3 and prefer Salisbury. Mooresville traffic can be a nightmare, Concord traffic is a headache. Salisbury streets can get crowded between 4pm-6pm but thats about it. Much safer to drive around here for a teen.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:25 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylea73 View Post
Salisbury is alot cheaper then Mooresville and somewhat cheaper then Concord...I have lived in all 3 and prefer Salisbury. Mooresville traffic can be a nightmare, Concord traffic is a headache. Salisbury streets can get crowded between 4pm-6pm but thats about it. Much safer to drive around here for a teen.
You know, one of the reasons Mooresville can get congested on HWY 150 is that it attracts people from other smaller , less developed towns for shopping , dining and entertainment. If all the people that lived elsewhere stopped coming here then traffic would be a lot better, but personally I can tolerate it easily for what Mooresville has to offer over other places. Once exit 35 opens in a few weeks that will take some of the traffic off 150 around the I-77 exit.
If you have a teen in Salisbury where are they going to drive to do the things that teens like to do-eg movies, shops etc? Kannapolis, Concord, Mooresville?

I like Salisbury too, especially the downtown area, but it's a bit lacking in facilities, hence why the roads are only really busy between 4pm and 6pm.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:31 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,729,551 times
Quote:
Not sure that Salisbury is that much cheaper than Mooresville or Concord. Also- I don't think that living on the other side of Mooresville ie 28117 zip, closer to the Lake Norman, is going to add that much onto the commute depending on what time you leave. What time do you commute to work?
Iredell Statesville schools don't have the 1:1 system-for which I'm pleased (or son graduates this week). I think kids spend enough time looking at screens in one way or another and laptop computers weren't designed for hours of constant use with regard to potential health problems. I believe ISS are thinking about the 1:1 for the future.

To the OP-Mooresville traffic isn't particularly scary - the new I-77 intersection with Brawley School Rd will opening this month which will help with traffic on HWY 150 and if he does his drivers ed' here then he should be better prepared for driving in the future
With no traffic, it takes at least 45 minutes to get from the intersection of Brawley/Williamson to Salisbury. The 801/150 intersection gets very clogged up causing delays when going to Salisbury, and the 115/150 intersection when coming from Salisbury.

I don't know Concord, but I did look at houses in both Salisbury and Mooresville. My house was appraised at $140,000 when I purchased it. An identical house would have been about $115,000 in Mooresville. The bigger the house, the bigger the gap becomes, too.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:36 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,729,551 times
Quote:
If you have a teen in Salisbury where are they going to drive to do the things that teens like to do-eg movies, shops etc? Kannapolis, Concord, Mooresville?

Salisbury has a big movie theater. It actually has 2, but I don't know anyone that goes to the one near the mall.
If they go shopping, they go to Concord Mills. Mooresville's shopping isn't teenager friendly, either. Kannapolis's is definitely not.
I'm where in Salisbury you live would effect it, but most kids have bonfires, go to High Rock Lake, etc...

Old 06-10-2013, 06:00 AM

385 posts, read 729,613 times
I grew up in Salisbury, and loathed how we had nothing to do except go to a field party or small house parties.

But my Charlotte friends complained about the same thing- they had no where to go.

I guess that's part of being a teenager, any establishment that is OK for teens to congregate isn't "cool" enough. Kids will find things to do.

We just gotta make sure they're safe and not doing things that are too stupid.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:35 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Salisbury has a big movie theater. It actually has 2, but I don't know anyone that goes to the one near the mall.
If they go shopping, they go to Concord Mills. Mooresville's shopping isn't teenager friendly, either. Kannapolis's is definitely not.
I'm where in Salisbury you live would effect it, but most kids have bonfires, go to High Rock Lake, etc...
I certainly wouldn't be very happy about my teen driving/ going to Concord Mills. Traffic and parking is a nighmare and once inside it's not much better. Not sure what the security is like either, but I always hang onto my purse as it's so busy.
In Mooresville I think the Target shopping area is quite teen friendly, although doesn't have many teen type stores if they're looking for named labels. I'm quite happy for my son to go there and hang out for a few hours. Was better before Caribou coffee closed.
Also the shops where Old Navy and Ulta are located- several other stores and places to get food etc.
I think here a lot of kids hang out at each others homes- nearly all know someone who has a boat or access to the lake for swimming etc. If they go out to eat Hickory Tavern/Joels/ Blue star grill are favorites and they're very close to us.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,017 times
I moved to NW Rowan County four years ago. Both my girls go to school in Salisbury. My older daughter is Rowan County Early College but you must start that freshman year. I have four kids, two went through school in NJ and the other two in FL and PA. Rowan County Schools have been the best. Carson High School is a very good high school. I suggest two little known towns to look for a house; Faith and Granite Quarry. They are in the SE corner of Rowan County but are so cute and quaint. They are just outside of Salisbury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte