Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:40 PM

359 posts, read 1,144,686 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

So DH has a couple of days off with New Years and all and since we just moved to Charlotte about a year ago, we figured it's time for some day trips in the area and we want to go to Salisbury on Friday.
Any suggestions on must-see and/or do, or not-see or do's, would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year to all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 07:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
any kids going along ? Is your husband a car or train buff?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:00 PM

Hi Sunny, no kids, just the two of us, early 30's (if that even matters..lol) not neccessary a buff ; in either but most prob interested..

Old 12-29-2008, 08:30 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
I cant promise on what will be open on New Years Day but here goes.
Go downtown and park near Innes St & Main St. There is some antique shops and funky stores to explore.
I cant promise this place is still open but there was a cool funky cafe called Sweet Meadow Cafe they have great modern dishes
http://static.px.yelp.com/bphoto/T5o...TsIUcD6zg9eg/l
check out the original tin roof ceiling
Photos For Sweet Meadow Cafe | Yelp
Again there some cool shops to check out especially around the intersection of main & Innes

The reason I ask if cars or trains was in interest if you turn right on main it will lead you into Spencer btw there some beautiful historic homes and some you wish had some loving to them.
Welcome to the North Carolina Transportation Museum Here you can ride steam train check out the old passenger trains of yesteryear including old cop cars. I think it cost to ride the train but to check out the museum it doesnt.
Welcome to the North Carolina Transportation Museum

I think Salisbury downtown is cute and an example of classic historical southern small town from the awnings along the shop windows to the tin roofs inside them.
For dinner I highly suggest going to La Cava Italian restaurant. It to the left of the bird or angel statue (been awhile since I seen it) on Innes off Church St. index
The restaurant is in a refine remodel old church.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:03 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,802,782 times
About 30 minutes from Salisbury is the Childress Vineyards which is a great day trip. Childress Vineyards Even if you don't drink it's a beautiful place.

What made you pick a day trip to Salisbury?

Old 12-30-2008, 07:00 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,319,274 times
Here is one of my fav BBQ places there:

Richard's Bar-B-Q, Salisbury
another review of Richard's (http://hkentcraig.com/BBQ13.html - broken link)

I also recommend the transportation museum even for non-train buffs, it is a really neat place.
FWIW, my grandfather restored the turntable (huge rotating platform for the trains) back in the 80s.

Make it a better trip and take the 'back way':
Hwy 51 N until it dead-ends into 24/27 (Albermarle Rd), take a right.
Left on 601.
In just 1-2 miles take a Right on Mt. Pleasant Rd (Rt 1006)
This will take you though the country and the cute little down of Mt. Pleasant.
Mt. Pleasant Rd turns into Organ Church Road and you can see the very historic churches (all three) and cemetery.
It is Organ Lutheran - 'the mother of Lutheran Churches in NC' established 1774.
The cemetery is the resting place for many of my relatives on my mother's side from the early 1800s.
Cross over 152 and Organ Church Rd turns into Faith Rd.
This will take you through the tiny town of Faith, then right into downtown Salisbury.

I live near the Arboretum and this drive is 49 miles from my driveway.
You actually make better time than the highway and enjoy the scenery & small towns.
You will miss all this Americana taking 85N!

Last edited by mullman; 12-30-2008 at 07:31 AM..

Old 12-30-2008, 07:01 AM

55 posts, read 190,541 times
I would check out these sites.
www.downtownsalisburync.com
and
www.authenticnc.com

If you are coming on Friday places will be on their normal schedule. Sweet Meadow Cafe is still open and I also suggest Uncle Bucks or Haps Grill for lunch as local favorites in downtown Salisbury.

The visitors center is on your right just after you go over the train bridge, but all the local shop owners are just as helpful and friendly.

Hope you have a good visit.

((Mullman posted 1 minute before me and I agree. Richard's is a great place for BBQ. A long time local favorite.))

Last edited by GaMe2005; 12-30-2008 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: added note about Richard's

Old 12-30-2008, 10:04 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,556,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
About 30 minutes from Salisbury is the Childress Vineyards which is a great day trip. Childress Vineyards Even if you don't drink it's a beautiful place.

What made you pick a day trip to Salisbury?
And the BEST Barbeque is in the BBQ Capital of the World....Lexington, NC. My 2 favorites are...

#1 Speedy's
#2 Lexington BBQ

Enjoy!

Old 12-30-2008, 10:16 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,319,274 times
All this talk is killing me.
Taking the fam there this afternoon for some BBQ and hush-puppies!

Old 12-30-2008, 10:23 AM

Thanks guys, this is awesome!

Mullman, we will definitely be taking the "back way" that sounds like lots of fun and way more interesting then taking 85.
The transportation museum is in and we will try and do the heritage walking tour. all the suggestions for places to eat are awesome and we will just see what mood we are in when we are there.

Jake ryan, in answer to why Salisbury; when we first were looking at moving to the Charlotte area, Salisbury, actually East Spencer was in the running, because one of my co-workers had a house for rent/sale in Spencer..now we just wanna go see it and it is not too far away.

We will be hitting the mountains come spring time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte