Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 02:02 PM

527 posts, read 919,264 times

Advertisements

What snow? It's gone in 20 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 02:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Don't miss it in the least... last big storm I had friends and family literally trapped without plows for DAYS on LI - cutbacks on services are hitting hard and it's only getting worse. These are areas that many years ago prided themselves that they scoffed at significant snowfall amounts. Now they're whining all over FB. Plus I'm getting older and realize after the 1st 24 hours of excitement it just means back breaking shoveling, long gas lines, and I will never miss black dirty snow piles along every road and in every parking lot for weeks afterwards. Boy how things change.
Thank you for explaining the cut backs. I pick up NY1, I think it replace a defunct religion channel and I was amazed on complaints of snow removal and the need for bread and milk.I thought I was watching local station and the closings too.

Good thing about this snow besides it nothing and hopefully Wednesday will be the same its usually ice storms in March.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:56 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
Strange weather today. Now it's kind of a pellet-type snow that is not quite sleet.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:06 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
They also got 3 feet of snow...a once in a lifetime event might have something to do with it.
The folks I'm talking about got about 2 feet - living there I can tell you that it was far from a "once in a lifetime". We got that much snow many times in 40+ years of me living there. They got hit that hard because they no longer plow and sand during the event - no money to pay for it any more. In the past, the sanding and plowing would start as they snow started. Nobody saw a single plow on relatively main roads until well after the snow stopped. This is the future of those areas as they feed on their civil servants because they cost too much... and then live with the consequences of less services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Thank you for explaining the cut backs. I pick up NY1, I think it replace a defunct religion channel and I was amazed on complaints of snow removal and the need for bread and milk.I thought I was watching local station and the closings too.

Good thing about this snow besides it nothing and hopefully Wednesday will be the same its usually ice storms in March.
It was painfully evident how the cutbacks impact them. Ran out of gas AGAIN in many areas (just like post Sandy) because roads weren't clear, abandoned cars, etc - that's why you're seeing more and more people push the pre-grocery store panic button wiping the stores clean before any storm now.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:23 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,126,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Strange weather today. Now it's kind of a pellet-type snow that is not quite sleet.
Yes, and it came down quick and actually stuck to the rooftops and ground. My whole lawn was white in a matter of minutes. Weird stuff! Now, a half hour later, it's practically all gone.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:43 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
The folks I'm talking about got about 2 feet - living there I can tell you that it was far from a "once in a lifetime". We got that much snow many times in 40+ years of me living there. They got hit that hard because they no longer plow and sand during the event - no money to pay for it any more. In the past, the sanding and plowing would start as they snow started. Nobody saw a single plow on relatively main roads until well after the snow stopped. This is the future of those areas as they feed on their civil servants because they cost too much... and then live with the consequences of less services.

It was painfully evident how the cutbacks impact them. Ran out of gas AGAIN in many areas (just like post Sandy) because roads weren't clear, abandoned cars, etc - that's why you're seeing more and more people push the pre-grocery store panic button wiping the stores clean before any storm now.

Many times?? Would you like to know how many times 2 feet of snow has fallen on Islip? Islip set a record ...so yes...it is a once in a lifetime. It also fell in a very short period of time.. There was no WAY to clear it all in a day.

Last edited by jp03; 03-02-2013 at 03:53 PM..

Old 03-02-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:

You guys have no idea how much snow fell in a short period of time up here do you...oh well, believe what you want. City had 10 inches...no issues,..southwest CT..12-18 inches..were out and about by noon the next day...
Central CT and Long Island got HAMMERED...its amazing they were even up and running Monday.

I do agree however that people are panicking a bit now but thats what 2 hurricanes and 2 early season snows that cause crippling damage will do. Not to mention a blizzard of record proportions.,.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:09 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
I do love snow....IN CHARLOTTE. It looks pretty coming down, the trees/grass, etc. look real picturesque....and, it is gone within 24 hours.

The last couple of snows have been especially nice...no accumulation on the sidewalks or streets...so, no shoveling. LOVE IT.

If we gotta be cold (and we do to kill off bugs) a nice snow such as one of these makes it slightly more tolerable.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:22 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
You guys have no idea how much snow fell in a short period of time up here do you.......
This is because nobody cares.

But I will add this. As a native Southerner I have ideas that it probably resembles something like Siberia so 2ft, 4ft, blizzards, etc. all sound normal to me. I admit this is probably wrong, but it's an idea of the amount of thought that I've put into it.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This is because nobody cares.

But I will add this. As a native Southerner I have ideas that it probably resembles something like Siberia so 2ft, 4ft, blizzards, etc. all sound normal to me. I admit this is probably wrong, but it's an idea of the amount of thought that I've put into it.
Wow..you are COMPLETELY OUT OF LINE HERE. I was responding to another poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte