Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:47 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times

Advertisements

Geographically this is the closest lake to Charlotte. You don't hear much about it since most of the conversations concern it's larger neighbors Lake Norman, upstream, and Lake Wylie, downstream. I took some photos last Sunday afternoon while out on the lake. It was a beautiful afternoon with high around 87 so this was a good place to be.

This is Mountain Island which is what the lake is named for. It's the largest island on the lake and located near the dam. Beyond is the beginning of Lake Wylie.

Some people enjoying the pleasant water. This is near the rope swing.

Hwy 16 bridge across the lake. Mecklenburg on right, Gaston & Lincoln counties left.

People enjoying the Submerged Beach.

Submerged Beach. My camera does not do it justice. All kinds of activities take place in just a few feet of always flowing cool water.

Hwy 16 Coal Fired Steam Plant operated by Duke Energy.

This lake is a good place to learn these skills. It's always smooth.

Lots of pretty wildlife to see. His blue colored cousins are more shy. They tended to leave when I pointed a camera at them.

Just a pretty day.

Cowan Ford Dam & Hydroelectric generating plant. Lake Norman is on the other side of that dam. It's hell's bells if those gates are opened and you happen to be where we were when I took this photo. A sign somewhere says they will blow a siren first. Fortunately the last time they needed to do it, as far as I can remember was 2005. That bridge is Hwy 73.

Hard to believe this is in the middle of a metro with more than 2 million people.

More people taking time to enjoy nature.

Part of the Submerged Beach area

This platform is at the end of one of the trails at Latta Plantation Park. There are numerous great trails there that often follow parts of this lake. If you were on this platform you would have a nice view of the main channel of the Catawba River and the Lake.

Solar powered house. My camera doesn't do it justice.

Lakeside Trailer Park

Trailer Park Boys

This is the Hwy 16 public boat landing and access area on the Gaston/Lincoln side. There are two landings. The other is in Huntersville off Neck Rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 01:00 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,377,507 times
Looks like a nice lake. It's a shame there's development on it though.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Looks like a nice lake. It's a shame there's development on it though.
Relatively speaking the amount is pretty low compared to other Duke Energy managed lakes. Almost all of the development is at the south end. There are also no marinas which limits the boat traffic. Fortunately county park land and the Cowan's Ford Wildlife Refuge protect a great deal of it.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:07 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Next time consider resizing your pics before you post - these things are HUGE, lol.

You might like using a site like tinypic.com

Edited to say, thanks for resizing!

Old 08-15-2012, 01:10 PM

Interestingly, they are on tinypic.com.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Man, this is suppose to be best kept secret lol .. Shhh.

I dont want this lake to turn into over crowded polluted Lake Norman especially since this lake is where Charlotte gets its drinking water.

We go to this lake all the time for kayaking unless where out on High Rock lake.

Its peaceful, the scenery is beautiful woods instead of Lake Normans McMansions..

Dont worry about picture size CD re-sizes them to fit a post and I hate the thumbnails as I never bother opening them up.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-16-2012 at 11:24 AM..

Old 08-16-2012, 07:48 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,369,437 times
Wow. Looks lovely. That's a trailer park I could deal with (for a short time). Unfortunately I can't wrap my brain around putting my feet down in a lake. Just skeeves me. But give me a ride on one of those boats....

Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:51 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,401 times
We love Mt. Island lake, we use the trails allot on the nature preserve. But we keep our boat on Wylie.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:41 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
Love Mtn Island Lake, too. Been out kayaking, been on the trails at Latta, been fishing downstream. Have been living near it since coming to Charlotte and it is a nice 'escape' close to home.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-16-2012, 01:43 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
Thank you for the pictures. It so happens I plan a boat ride on the lake very soon and those pictures help me recall the area. My question is how shallow does the water get when you want to go to upper end near the dam? My little boat only needs about 2 feet of water. I always slow down to about 40 mph when I get no less than 100 feet from sailboats and kiyaks... Lets all be careful out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte