Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 12:42 PM

23 posts, read 58,237 times

Advertisements

So most of the homes we have been looking at are around Lake Norman, but there a few homes that have caught our eye around Mountain Island Lake. What are the disadvantages to living on this lake? The locals we have asked seem to think Lake Norman is the place to live, but it still looks like a beautiful lake, and why would people build there if there wasn't some advantage? Any pointers would be much appreciated - also, in terms of cleanliness of the lakes, are they all similar or are some considered to be less clean? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 01:09 PM

958 posts, read 1,724,085 times
What does your agent say?

Old 04-08-2011, 01:12 PM

550 posts, read 1,808,121 times
Water flows south, so it's generally assumed that Lake Norman is cleaner than Mountain Island is cleaner than Lake Wylie.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:45 PM

569 posts, read 1,409,332 times
Mt. Island Lake is where most of our drinking water comes from. All lakes have their issues with spills and such, but out of all of them I would say this is the most clean. Mt Island is a lot less crowded than any of the other lakes but it is not quite as boater friendly. Most of Mt Island is pretty shallow and while there are boats allowed they are mostly just for bass fishing due to the shallowness of the lake. It is a great place for kayakers though....not too many power boats out there to worry about and it is much quieter. It's never really taken off like the other lakes.....I'm pretty sure the schools are not as good over there.

Personally it is my favorite out of all the nearby lakes.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:47 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,018,321 times
I would say the biggest environmental disadvantage is having the power plant right on the lake with the danger of the coal pool contaminating the lake.

All the lakes are associated with the same water system, but as pointed out -- Mtn Island is downstream from Lk Norman.

I live very close to Mtn Island and I'm in a very nice neighborhood. Overall, still have good quality of life, good access to shopping and highways, and mostly pretty darn quiet. I do not have lake front property.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:20 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,287,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precedexter View Post
...What are the disadvantages to living on this lake?
OK since you asked:
  • West Charlotte
  • Schools of West Charlotte
  • Part where homes are located are under Charlotte/Douglass flight path.
  • Pollution from Duke Energy coal burning power plant
  • Drunks at the Hwy 16 boat ramp
  • No marinas on lake
  • Lake is pretty small if you like to boat.
  • Dodging gunfire from rednecks.
  • Illegal aliens and rednecks camping on islands.
Of course, some people would consider these to be advantages. (well except for the part about the jet airplanes. No one likes that. )

Old 04-08-2011, 03:14 PM

23 posts, read 58,237 times
Thank you everyone, for the feedback. Very helpful and useful. Except for you, USCRugbyNo1 - please don't go out of your way to respond to anymore of my posts. I don't appreciate people who have so much time on their hands that they can only condescend and act like jackasses. In my prior post, although I'm sure it does not bear repeating, I clearly informed you that these forums are designed for open dialogue and communication to assist people in their relocation choices, beyond the advice of their realtors. I would thank you for your concern, but that would be misdirected kindness.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:23 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,062 times
While I personally would not purchase a house on this lake, don't get sidelined by some of the over exaggerated references in this thread.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:59 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota4791 View Post
Water flows south, so it's generally assumed that Lake Norman is cleaner than Mountain Island is cleaner than Lake Wylie.
I have to say, that's a new one on me

Mountain Island Lake is where Charlotte gets its drinking water.

I feel very comfortable saying it's pretty clean and certainly not any "dirtier" than Lake Norman

Old 04-08-2011, 04:31 PM

515 posts, read 1,036,670 times
We looked up there when we first came to charlotte. I think the commute to uptown is pretty good. But I didn't like being so close to a coal plant, and it seemed like a island of nice surrounded by the hood...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte