Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 07:58 AM

82 posts, read 188,063 times

Advertisements

I understand that the CATS Village Rider that runs through Cornelius and Davidson will go up to 3/4 mile off-route to make a pick up. If one lived more than that, say a mile and a quarter, will they agree to a pickup at some intermediate point that one would walk to, as long as it is within their 3/4 mile radius? I can't imagine why not, but I'm wondering if anyone has any actual experience with this or uses the off-route service.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 08:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromCT View Post
I understand that the CATS Village Rider that runs through Cornelius and Davidson will go up to 3/4 mile off-route to make a pick up. If one lived more than that, say a mile and a quarter, will they agree to a pickup at some intermediate point that one would walk to, as long as it is within their 3/4 mile radius? I can't imagine why not, but I'm wondering if anyone has any actual experience with this or uses the off-route service.

Thanks!

They wont unfortunately, I tried this when I lived in Huntersville. The bus stop was about a 10 minute walk from where I lived in subdivision so I tried that off route pickup and the driver who did that one time stated I was about a block to far. Then there the paranoia if drivers dont get the message or forget, happen to me a few times waiting, since at time I was using it to get to work at the time I just handled the walk. If the place your going has a bike rack you could bicycle to the stop or lock it at a Park n Ride they have cages for bikes.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
They wont unfortunately, I tried this when I lived in Huntersville. The bus stop was about a 10 minute walk from where I lived in subdivision so I tried that off route pickup and the driver who did that one time stated I was about a block to far. Then there the paranoia if drivers dont get the message or forget, happen to me a few times waiting, since at time I was using it to get to work at the time I just handled the walk. If the place your going has a bike rack you could bicycle to the stop or lock it at a Park n Ride they have cages for bikes.
SunnyKayak, thanks. Are you saying not only that the driver wouldn't come to your house, which was "a block too far", but also that they wouldn't even agree to an intermediate pickup point that you would walk to from your house, and that would be within their permitted range?

Old 06-16-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromCT View Post
SunnyKayak, thanks. Are you saying not only that the driver wouldn't come to your house, which was "a block too far", but also that they wouldn't even agree to an intermediate pickup point that you would walk to from your house, and that would be within their permitted range?
The driver had first time did it, the second time they pick me up that driver said it was beyond range. I tried the intermediate spot but was I guess you could say stood up. If you can ride a car and find how close to you the 3/4 mile point is and have them meet you there. I forget what rule is about how much advance notice.

Nothing worse than walking to bus stop for 10 minutes in the summer. Your drench in sweat.

Where did they move the hub for all Village Riders to meet? It use to be in front of library.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:56 PM

Thanks, SunnyKayak. I fully appreciate that whatever the official rules are, one is still subject to the vagaries of the driver remembering a special pickup, traffic delays, etc.

By "hub", do you mean the place where all three Village Riders intersect? I'm here in Connecticut (and asking these questions in preparation for a possible move), but judging from the route maps on the CATS website the routes intersect at the "Huntersville Gateway Park and Ride". I don't know if that's near a library.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:10 PM

Yeah give it a shot try it out on return home trip first so you will know how far they go and choose like a intersecting road for drop off so it easier for next bus driver to know where.

Thanks for telling me where the hub relocated to, alot better location.

One thing I like about village rider they do a good job running on time, I almost could set my watch to them. Only time issue is if they run into traffic or snow.

If you need to switch to an express bus those are nice. They are like luxury liners. They have cushion recling seats with foot rest and you can control above air or lights.

I also want to add when I tried my work shift schedule changed daily so I had no definite daily time for pickup, but if your using it and your times are consistent I think it might be easier on driver to remember your stop is part of the route.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-16-2012 at 08:29 PM..

Old 05-06-2018, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 758 times
Does the bus go from cornelius to the birkdale village?

Old 05-06-2018, 07:06 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,378,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frecklefab View Post
Does the bus go from cornelius to the birkdale village?
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/310+...3!2d35.2246882
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte