Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 9,644 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I was thinking of relocating to the Concord NC area. I have a employment opportunity in Charlotte. I have seen some good properties in this area. Is this a good area? Crime? good schools
Any insight is useful

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 08:55 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,968,316 times
Where about in Concord? I live in Concord but more near the Cabarrus/Meck line and we haven't had any issues with crime.

Will schools be an issue? How much are you looking to spend? Where about in Charlotte is the job?

Old 06-12-2012, 09:20 AM

972 posts, read 2,445,719 times
Concord stretches pretty far. Once you can be more specific as to area, we can offer more advice. There are also other good options in Cabarrus County that don't have a Concord address.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 9,644 times
thanks. Carrabus county Southern Chase neighborhood. East of Shenandoah park north of Highway 49snc

Old 06-13-2012, 05:01 PM

776 posts, read 1,064,656 times
We have lived in COncord on two seperate occasions for a year each and loved it, but you shoud really consider everything west of i85. there are a few good neighborhoods right off 85 but id check out anything that falls into Cox Mill Elem and Cox Mill High. that will include such neighborhoods as Christenbury Mews / Trace, Cannon Crossing, Moss Creek, Part of Skybrook North (which is actually Huntersville but some of it is in the Cabarrus side) highland Creek on the Cabarrus side and Winding Walk. We still go to the area about twice a month to visit friends. We ahve looked at several other areas but found these to be the most kid friendly, friendly neighbors, people out doing things and super close to shopping and conveniences.

These are the two zips 28027, and 28269 you should check out. We lived in MOss creek the first time and Cannon crossing the second, but if we ever were to move back again we woudl go to Winding Walk (SHea Homes is still building new) or Highland creek to get a good mix of homes and a large community with Golf and swim. Most of highland Creek is in Mecklenburg CO, but everything east of Clark Creek Prkwy shoudl be on Cabarrus side. Im not an agent nor am I affiliated with one but www.terravistarealty.com is a good site to search homes by the schools they go to. I love it. Again

Cox Mill Schools are teh best. Moss creek schools are ok, but overcrowded and IMO Moss creek has gone way down hill. Tons of rentals, forclosures etc. Lots of graffiti and unsusal activity in the neighborhood. Safe? Probably, desireable....not so much. I highly recommend :

HIghland Creek (make sure the homes you look at are in the Cabarrus County, )
Cannon Crossing
Winding Walk
Skybrook North
Chistnebury Trace
Christenbury Mews.

these are all highly desirable neighborhoods with great resale, and clsoe to I85. The commute to Downtown Charlotte can be done in 30 minutes or less. PLus Concord Mills Shopping area will have everything you could possible want on one side, and Prosperity Church road has even more dining and shopping on the other side of highland creek.

If you want more info feel free to message me. I knwo the area very well adn will be very open and honest with you

But I would stay away from anything east of George Lyles Parkway for sure. Just old and run down and kind of ghetto.
I would still stay west of I85

Communities I personally would NOT consider would be
The Farm (DAVIDSON)
Skybrook north Villages
Fulelrton Place
CAbarrus Crossing
These are just cheap quick built neighborhoods with lots of rentals and no character at all and hold low resale

Mecklenburg County is not all that bad, so if people steer you away, just do your dilligence and see if you are comfortable with it. I would live in any park of Highland Creek ro Skybrook but since my kids went to Cox Mill Schools, I prefer them. Im not sure what you prefer for demographics ro whatever, but Highland Creek has its own schools except High school and the new Mallard Creek High is not too shabby. I think Mecklenburg jsut get a bad rep mostly because of budgets. But i would feel safe in most of the schools.

Good Luck

Last edited by rtloucks; 06-13-2012 at 05:09 PM..

Old 06-13-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
We have lived in COncord on two seperate occasions for a year each and loved it, but you shoud really consider everything west of i85. there are a few good neighborhoods right off 85 but id check out anything that falls into Cox Mill Elem and Cox Mill High. that will include such neighborhoods as Christenbury Mews / Trace, Cannon Crossing, Moss Creek, Part of Skybrook North (which is actually Huntersville but some of it is in the Cabarrus side) highland Creek on the Cabarrus side and Winding Walk. We still go to the area about twice a month to visit friends. We ahve looked at several other areas but found these to be the most kid friendly, friendly neighbors, people out doing things and super close to shopping and conveniences.

Cox Mill Schools are teh best. Moss creek schools are ok, but overcrowded and IMO Moss creek has gone way down hill. Tons of rentals, forclosures etc. Lots of graffiti and unsusal activity in the neighborhood. Safe? Probably, desireable....not so much. I highly recommend :
Once I waded through the mistypes (yes, I also have one hand that types faster than the other), there are a few key mistakes in this post. As someone who lives in this area and works in the schools:

- Skybrook North is two parts - Parks and Villages. They are both actually very nice. I was in Skybrook North the Villages several times just this week and the homes have nice lots. Many are wooded. Others are some of the deepest I've seen at that price point. The homes have pretty cabinets, front porches, hardwood and tile. Most also have granite and stainless - all the features today's buyer seems to require. The streets are tree lined and the yards are well maintained.

- Skybrook North has a big start on their long awaited swim center. It looks to be pretty nice.

- The Skybrook you seem to be talking about is just called Skybrook or the Main Skyrbook. It does cross over the county line. The last time I checked, the CMS side did not feed into Highland Creek's schools. Not sure though - all my friends in there sent their kids to private instead of CMS. That says a lot, as none of them are rolling in money.

- There are two schools inside Moss Creek. One is the middle school that ALL the neighborhoods you claim to know so well feed into. It is not overcrowded by any stretch. There were several empty classrooms this year. Maybe you were thinking about before Winkler opened? Things change once you move away, you know.

- The other school inside Moss Creek is Odell elementary. I would put them up against any other elementary in the area. It is not overcrowded or even close. No idea where that comment came from.

More to post later, but this is a good start at clarifying a few things.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axaflaxar View Post
thanks. Carrabus county Southern Chase neighborhood. East of Shenandoah park north of Highway 49snc
The schools in that area are a bit rougher than on the other side of the county. But, I would still send my kids there. I would just be a very very involved parent. The teachers I meet all seem happy in their jobs, which is usually a good sign.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:21 PM

776 posts, read 1,064,656 times
Sorry about the mistypes, I do a lot on my phone and it takes too long to go back and proofread......

In regard to The Moss creek schools....
I actually forgot that Winkler opened this last year so I can see where the middle school may not be overcrowded as much anymore. When we were there in 2007-2008, and in 2009-2010 it was packed and th trailers were full 32+ students per class etc. e

The elem. School is still packed. They have trailers there too now. I knwo several people that have children there and complain all the time. The second time we were there, our one son went to the moss creek middle school again, but our youngest went to Cox Mill which was way better. 19 students per class, real one-on-one with kids, very nice teachers and everyone cared. Im not bashing teh staff at teh MOss Creek schools, obviously we felt comfy enought o send our kids there too I just recommend Cox Mill schools. ITs all relevant though to where you want to live. I do not think any of the schools are BAD, especially to some of teh schools Ive seen in other states.

IN regard to Skybrook, there is a SKYBROOK (Main) Very nice, beautiful homes, treelined streets etc. A SKYBROOK North (Basically an expansion of SKYBROOK and then SKYBRROK NORTH VILLAGES which is what I think you are confusing with teh rest of SKYBROOK and SKYBROOK NORTH. THE SKYBROOK NORTH VILLAGES is further down and accross POplar Tent road just down from Fullerton PLace. SKYBROOK NORTH VILLAGES claims to be working on a pool and clubhouse but there is a huge gas line that runs thru the neighborhood righ when you drive in on the left ... Right where the pool is supposed to go. They have been "PLANNING" the pool since 2008... still not there and probably never will be that is why people that live there have to go to the other SKYBROOKS touse their's.

There may have been some confusion, or maybe I ran my thoughts together about the SKYBROOK Schools. They do NOT feed into Highland Creek, They are just CMS. I was talking about how most of Highland creek is in CMS but they have their own schools (Middle and ELEM I Believe) I think they still go to Mallard Creek High if Im not mistaken. BUt the Cabarrus side of HC go to the Cox mill schools. Hope i made more sense of this.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:36 PM

Would you like me to send you pictures of The Villages of Skybrook North's pool currently being put into place? Its coming along quite nicely. The pool has been dug out and the building's foundations are going in as I type. Again - please stick to posting what you actually know. I realize you are trying to be helpful, but continuing to post outdated or incorrect information is NOT helpful.

Skybrook North consists of the Parkside at Skybrook North and The Villages of Skybrook North. Probably a little confusing to someone who doesn't actually live here anymore. Skybrook North HOA -

Also, I work at Odell. So, I know for a fact there is only one classroom in a trailer and long story about why on that one. The others are used for PTA, storage and an art teacher who comes to teach an extra art class. Unless you can post more accurate data than just a rummur heard from one or two dissatisfied friends, please stick to what you know for a fact.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:33 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,968,316 times
We own a home in Winding Walk but are currently renting in Moss Creek due to tenants in our house (we moved out of state and didn't expect to be back). We are really enjoying Moss Creek and all it has to offer. The neighbors are friendly and the neighborhood is full of kids. The pool is awesome.

We also really enjoyed Winding Walk when we lived there. It's family friendly and the they are often doing events. The pool is nice as well but I think Moss Creek's is better. I really like the quality of the Shea Homes.

I know people that live in Cannon Crossing and the original builder went out of business. They do have a new builder and they are starting to build again. There are a couple of homes for sale and there are a few kids. The couple of drawbacks are that it's right off of Poplar Tent (which is a better busy road) and it does have some not so attractive houses across the road. There has been some issues with crime - petty stuff - garage breakins and a car was stolen about a month ago.

I haven't heard a bad thing about either Cox Mill or Odell (and I know a mom that has had or does have her kids in Odell and Harris Middle).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte