Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 07:41 PM

776 posts, read 1,065,093 times

Advertisements

I agree with Riley09swb, moss creek is full of kids and the amenities are superb. I have no real problem with it. I've just witnesses some things. I've also been robbed In there, been at friends house at night when groups of kids raided the garage that was left open, seen lots f graffiti etc. I think it's all worry stuff for the most part but as the kids turn into teenagers and get older you have to wonder what it will become if they are already causing problems.

In regards to te pool situation at sky brook north villages, we Didn't see it last weekend and I'll be down again tomorrow So I will see. No I do not live there anymore but we are there all the time. And if you think that I am being inaccurate about the info, then I suggest taking a tour of the schools and finding out for yourself. Should have done it though during the school year , then you could have seen the trailers IN USE, not just one

Yes cannon crossing was a very good idea at first but Ryland pulled out, and now Ryan homes are building in there. Bother are quality builders but yes the properties accross poplar tent are less than desirable to look at to say the least. But the neighborhood itself is nice although it lacks amenities. They basically have a pool a playground and a clubhouse. If I had to chose the safest (by safest I mean smartest) option I'd suggest winding walk or highland creek
Anyway back to the original point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 07:49 PM

972 posts, read 2,446,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
In regards to te pool situation at sky brook north villages, we Didn't see it last weekend and I'll be down again tomorrow Sony will see.
Its that BIG construction site at the entrance. Really would take an effort to NOT see it.

Quote:
No I do not live there anymore but we are there all the time. And if you think that I am being inaccurate about the info, then I suggest taking a tour of the schools and finding out for yourself. Should have done it though during the school year , then you could have seen the trailers IN USE, not just one
Did you read the part where I said I WORK AT ODELL???

And, by the way, the OP is looking at much lower price points on the other side of the county.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:06 AM

Im wondering why people come on here to debate and argue. If you work at Odell it is clear that you are only trying to defend Odell...

Are you going to sit there are tell people that all of those trailers were just put there for the fun of it and that they are not being used? BULL-my sons went to classes in them and complained about them daily

Are you going to tell me that my sons did NOT go to class in them along with 30 of their friends everyday?

Any comment on the class sizes? Didn't think so....Its good to know that you teach at Odell, then you should be well aware of these issues and quit pretending that they don't exist and start finding solutions among your staff that you work with to come up with more creative ways to get through to the children. So standard there and conforming. I cant say this about every teacher, just the ones my children had. No care in the world ROBOT Teachers I called them.... I wish I could have recorded all of the response to questions I had. But forget, its all about the numbers:state ratio funding now days... I remember I took my family on a 9 day vacation once and when I got back it was NOT excused and I was threatened with court charges from the Teacher....THE TEACHER... Who did she think she was Columbo? One call to the SI and that was all fine, but seriously.....let the kids enjoy school and enjoy being kids...

People don't care about you defending the school you work for, people want to know what is going on. Did I ever once say it was a bad school? Jeez, you need to relax a bit and quit getting defensive. I'm just being objective and giving MY outlook on the situation and an honest personal response to what concerns I would have about each area. Maybe you should read my WHOLE response rather then the parts that stick out to just YOU.

So sorry you get defensive about a neighborhood that has delayed its amenities for four or more years that the home owners have been paying HOA dues on the whole time. And IF they finish them all then great. All I was getting at is that the other neighborhoods are much more established and offer much better amenities and if you want to debate that too then go ahead but you know I am right. And why don't you respond to the huge Natural gas line that runs through The North Villages? You know ..... oall those bright colored posts next to the BIG CONSTRUCTION at the enterance? how come you only debate certain things? C'mon be honest with people....

Teachers and Realtors can never give honest opinions.....They all wear the wrong ethics Cap. everyone is worried about getting sued for providing "steering" information, all people want is honest answers about safety, demographics, crime stats, rentals/foreclosures, god schools etc and all teachers and realtors will say is...."...check the websites...."

Sometimes people like to just hear it right from the horses mouth. My advice find a police officer, a fireman, a contractor, an inspector, some older people that have lived through the rapid change, long term residents, people that actually have kids that go to the schools..... and ask them real questions, don't be afraid to ask them what you really want to know. You will find that if asked the right questions, most of them will open up and give you some honest opinions even if that is now what you were hoping to hear. Especially if they feel strongly about it...LIKE ME

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-17-2012 at 06:43 AM..

Old 06-17-2012, 07:09 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,970,261 times
Quote:
I agree with Riley09swb, moss creek is full of kids and the amenities are superb. I have no real problem with it. I've just witnesses some things. I've also been robbed In there, been at friends house at night when groups of kids raided the garage that was left open, seen lots f graffiti etc. I think it's all worry stuff for the most part but as the kids turn into teenagers and get older you have to wonder what it will become if they are already causing problems.

In regards to te pool situation at sky brook north villages, we Didn't see it last weekend and I'll be down again tomorrow So I will see. No I do not live there anymore but we are there all the time. And if you think that I am being inaccurate about the info, then I suggest taking a tour of the schools and finding out for yourself. Should have done it though during the school year , then you could have seen the trailers IN USE, not just one

Yes cannon crossing was a very good idea at first but Ryland pulled out, and now Ryan homes are building in there. Bother are quality builders but yes the properties accross poplar tent are less than desirable to look at to say the least. But the neighborhood itself is nice although it lacks amenities. They basically have a pool a playground and a clubhouse. If I had to chose the safest (by safest I mean smartest) option I'd suggest winding walk or highland creek
Anyway back to the original point.
Where was the graffiti in the neighborhood? How long did you live in the area? I see that you live in DC now...where? We lived in the NoVa area (my husband is a native) before moving down to Concord and then we moved back for 1.5 years and now we are back for good in NC.

I think in any neighborhood there will be problems with thefts - garage or car breakins.

I will also check out Odell for trailers as I don't remember seeing any and I pass it everyday.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:00 AM

I currently live in Fairfax and ahve liived in Concord on two seperate occasions in Cannon Crossing and in Moss Creek.

I have been back to the Concord area about twice a month this whole last year. When I lived there in 2007-2008 (Moss Creek) it was actually a very decent neighborhood. And Im not saying it isnt now. Actully there are a lot of friendly people there and tons of kids. I only wanted to note that with as many kids as there are in the neighborhood, there is boud to be problems with a few of them,

The graffitti has happend a few times now, usually back on the signes and stone work by the pool. The main enterance tothe neighborhood of Harris Road was damaged and had to be replaced butIm not sure exactly what happened. i talked to friends that live there and heard different stories so i wont speak on that.

When we were visiting frineds down there recently though we were having a BBQ and later in the evening/night we caught a group of teenagers stealing things out of the garage while we were in the house. Pretty daring. We chased them out of there and noticed that they were stealing his wine and beer and a few sports items.

Iwe actually considered buying a second home down there again because we go so often and look at some in MOss Creek again because we like the ammenities and figured that it is just a weekend home so the schools didnt matter so much. But we drove through on several occassions at night and theres is alwas large groups of kids ahnging around. We dont knwo what to think, it could be a good thing since they are actually hanging out or it could lead to trouble and we sassume the worse i guess just because of the recent string of trouble in there. My friends tell me NOT to buy there, my agent doesnt want to show me homes there so I take that all as a sign not to go there, but I still think it is a decent neighborhood. The downfall being all the rentals and it is very transient so dont expect to settle in and have the same neighbors two years later.

In my previous post I did talk about the trailers at the schools. I forgot that the new Winkler Middle school opened this year and I am sure that it took a lot of the overcrowding problem away from teh iddle school in Moss creek. It was a horendous problem before that.

When we moved there again in 2009 we bought a house in Cannon crossing next to harris Teeter off poplar tent and harris. We really liked it and there are really good people in there adn lots of kids at all levels and hardly any if any at all rentals. I gague schools mostly on how my kids act about them and what i see from other kids and parents, the COX MIll Schools are super. My sons teacher there were wonderful to interact with and deal with. In fact everytime we go back he awants to go say hi to her. he really loved it and my other son ended up in Odell middle School and hated every minute of it. At first i thought it was just a middle schooler hating school, but when we were in MN before that and now Virginia he loves his schools and does excellent. I just think Moss Creek has turned a bit. im not trying to judge but people just dont seem to be as involved in the kids' lives and school activities. Im not a big PTA Dad, nor to i pretend to be at school for every meeting. Im a bit more old fashion and just want to see my kids enjoy life and school and afterschool activities without getting into trouble.

My recommendatiosn woul be like this:

Winding Walk: Lots of famlies, large enough without being too big, affordable bu not CHEAP housing, jsut the right price range for investors to stay away. Good ammenities, lots of kids

Highland Creek: Very large neighborhood, tons of diversity, great mix of families/young professionals/ reitirees, awesome ammenities, golf club, may a bit too big, but a well maintained neighborhood,

Skybrook: Great established neighborhood, great mix of home styles, very scenic, great amenities, a bit more pricey and the Homes span between CMS and Cabarrus schools so you need to find the right section. Basically anything across from winding walk will fall into cabarrus. The neighborhood seems a little more reserve borderline snobbish but still very desireable adn high resale.

Chritenbury Trace/Mews: I liek the Trace side on teh west side of Cox mill Rd better obvisoule because it feels like part of the neighborhood. Very nice brick homes, good diversity, location to Concord mills area, great schools, great ammenities(the clubhouse is stellar and the pool is outstanding) but still a bit pricey but again it keeps the investors away . The Mews side is nice but just a small section off the other side of the road and you always hacve to cross cox mill rd to get to the pool .

Cannon Crossing: Was a really great neighborhood plan, very nice mid line homes, affordable $250k-400K homes most being on the lower end. Not a lot of resales, very few if any rentals or foclosures, ammenities are a bit lacking with just a small pool and a small litel clubhous and a small playground. Kind of a clicky neighborhood. but nice people. But being able to walk up to Harris teeter or out toeat at the strip centre or gas station is nice.

Moss Creek: Larger neighborhood, homes ranging from $80k-400k+ lots of rentals and investor owned homes. Deffineatly a starter type neighborhood. Very transient, most of the people there are very nice. lots of kids (GOOD AND BAD) the schools are in the neighborhood which is kind of handy, the pools and basketball courts, tennis courts and club house make the ammenities stand out here adn the HOA dues are not too bad. They do however have controled irrigation which sucks, but what can you do.

every other neighborhood is fine but not worth the time to talk about.

please feel free to message me if you want, i will be openly honest and will not feed you a bunhc of crap. I am not on here to bash anything. I still lvoe the area and woudl liek to move back permanently and hopefully someday will.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:16 AM

314 posts, read 676,608 times
In regards to Odell, msm_teacher is not giving out misinformation...I'm only aware on one trailer being used as a classroom (5th grade) and the others were just used for encore classes such as art and storage. I'm not sure how many were used in the past years but you have to take into consideration that due to high growth, many schools had to do that while new schools were built. However, if your child is assigned to a teacher who happens to be in a trailer, I'm sure you could request your child to be moved if you are not comfortable with it. Never hurts to ask the right people instead of complaining to the wrong people...

And to address rtloucks comment about teachers and realtors....well its true we have to be careful in what we say because yes, we risk lawsuits and job loss...( is that not a good reason to watch what you say?) and anyways, you should always do your own due diligence because the fireman or contractor, etc., may think a school or neighborhood is great and you go with their opinion and find that you don't think it's as great as they do. You have very strong opinions about schools and neighborhoods that I don't happen to agree with but if I were moving here and listened to it from the "horses" mouth aka from you, I would avoid those places and perhaps miss out on living in a place I may really enjoy.

So to the OP, take opinions with a grain of salt and do your own due diligence,(research, drive around, ask questions, visit schools) and you will find a place that is a good fit for you!

Old 06-17-2012, 09:47 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,970,261 times
Quote:
I currently live in Fairfax and ahve liived in Concord on two seperate occasions in Cannon Crossing and in Moss Creek.

I have been back to the Concord area about twice a month this whole last year. When I lived there in 2007-2008 (Moss Creek) it was actually a very decent neighborhood. And Im not saying it isnt now. Actully there are a lot of friendly people there and tons of kids. I only wanted to note that with as many kids as there are in the neighborhood, there is boud to be problems with a few of them,

The graffitti has happend a few times now, usually back on the signes and stone work by the pool. The main enterance tothe neighborhood of Harris Road was damaged and had to be replaced butIm not sure exactly what happened. i talked to friends that live there and heard different stories so i wont speak on that.

When we were visiting frineds down there recently though we were having a BBQ and later in the evening/night we caught a group of teenagers stealing things out of the garage while we were in the house. Pretty daring. We chased them out of there and noticed that they were stealing his wine and beer and a few sports items.

Iwe actually considered buying a second home down there again because we go so often and look at some in MOss Creek again because we like the ammenities and figured that it is just a weekend home so the schools didnt matter so much. But we drove through on several occassions at night and theres is alwas large groups of kids ahnging around. We dont knwo what to think, it could be a good thing since they are actually hanging out or it could lead to trouble and we sassume the worse i guess just because of the recent string of trouble in there. My friends tell me NOT to buy there, my agent doesnt want to show me homes there so I take that all as a sign not to go there, but I still think it is a decent neighborhood. The downfall being all the rentals and it is very transient so dont expect to settle in and have the same neighbors two years later.

In my previous post I did talk about the trailers at the schools. I forgot that the new Winkler Middle school opened this year and I am sure that it took a lot of the overcrowding problem away from teh iddle school in Moss creek. It was a horendous problem before that.

When we moved there again in 2009 we bought a house in Cannon crossing next to harris Teeter off poplar tent and harris. We really liked it and there are really good people in there adn lots of kids at all levels and hardly any if any at all rentals. I gague schools mostly on how my kids act about them and what i see from other kids and parents, the COX MIll Schools are super. My sons teacher there were wonderful to interact with and deal with. In fact everytime we go back he awants to go say hi to her. he really loved it and my other son ended up in Odell middle School and hated every minute of it. At first i thought it was just a middle schooler hating school, but when we were in MN before that and now Virginia he loves his schools and does excellent. I just think Moss Creek has turned a bit. im not trying to judge but people just dont seem to be as involved in the kids' lives and school activities. Im not a big PTA Dad, nor to i pretend to be at school for every meeting. Im a bit more old fashion and just want to see my kids enjoy life and school and afterschool activities without getting into trouble.

My recommendatiosn woul be like this:

Winding Walk: Lots of famlies, large enough without being too big, affordable bu not CHEAP housing, jsut the right price range for investors to stay away. Good ammenities, lots of kids

Highland Creek: Very large neighborhood, tons of diversity, great mix of families/young professionals/ reitirees, awesome ammenities, golf club, may a bit too big, but a well maintained neighborhood,

Skybrook: Great established neighborhood, great mix of home styles, very scenic, great amenities, a bit more pricey and the Homes span between CMS and Cabarrus schools so you need to find the right section. Basically anything across from winding walk will fall into cabarrus. The neighborhood seems a little more reserve borderline snobbish but still very desireable adn high resale.

Chritenbury Trace/Mews: I liek the Trace side on teh west side of Cox mill Rd better obvisoule because it feels like part of the neighborhood. Very nice brick homes, good diversity, location to Concord mills area, great schools, great ammenities(the clubhouse is stellar and the pool is outstanding) but still a bit pricey but again it keeps the investors away . The Mews side is nice but just a small section off the other side of the road and you always hacve to cross cox mill rd to get to the pool .

Cannon Crossing: Was a really great neighborhood plan, very nice mid line homes, affordable $250k-400K homes most being on the lower end. Not a lot of resales, very few if any rentals or foclosures, ammenities are a bit lacking with just a small pool and a small litel clubhous and a small playground. Kind of a clicky neighborhood. but nice people. But being able to walk up to Harris teeter or out toeat at the strip centre or gas station is nice.

Moss Creek: Larger neighborhood, homes ranging from $80k-400k+ lots of rentals and investor owned homes. Deffineatly a starter type neighborhood. Very transient, most of the people there are very nice. lots of kids (GOOD AND BAD) the schools are in the neighborhood which is kind of handy, the pools and basketball courts, tennis courts and club house make the ammenities stand out here adn the HOA dues are not too bad. They do however have controled irrigation which sucks, but what can you do.

every other neighborhood is fine but not worth the time to talk about.

please feel free to message me if you want, i will be openly honest and will not feed you a bunhc of crap. I am not on here to bash anything. I still lvoe the area and woudl liek to move back permanently and hopefully someday will.

I guess you haven't heard about Stonegate the newest section in Winding Walk. They are priced from the $150 -$180's.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:16 PM

I agree with MA2NC don't take everyone's opinion including mine and make your decision based on it. I have more or less tried to offer some foundation and some things to think about that you might not normally think of. I have tried to remain as objective as possible but obviously after I get going, I have some strong feelings about certain areas. It's just my opinions though and you should alwaysbfollow up with your own research to compare.

Riley09 you're right they did just start building lower priced homes in winding walk, which is exactly what what happened to moss creek and cannon crossing. Which in turn could result in problems down the road. Good point.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:29 AM

6 posts, read 24,506 times
Thanks for all the feedback it helps a lot! Me and my family are also looking at moving to the Concord area as well.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:47 PM

FYI....

In regards to teachers post about the pool situation at sky brook north villages....

I drive by it this week and all that is there is some empty land that has finally been cleared away and the grading has begun. There is no way in heck that there will be a pool in that ground this year and I highly doubt there will be a functioning clubhouse and pool even next year. I can post the pictures I took if necessary, or if anyone even cares. I just wanted to check on it for myself since I was told that the construction had begun....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte