Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 12:45 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,731,487 times

Advertisements

Never cooked a turkey before but seem to remember people pre-ordering them. Is that required or can I just pick one up the day of or the day before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 12:48 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,166,234 times
You'll need to preorder if you want a fresh turkey (not frozen). You'll be able to pick one up closer to Thanksgiving if you don't mind having a frozen one from the store. Keep in mind you need to thaw it out for a couple of days before you cook it.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:06 PM

Thanks. Where do I preorder a fresh one from Harris Teeter Deli section or meat dept?

Old 11-10-2011, 02:52 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,329,396 times
Since the T-day turkey can affect so many other meals, I'd consider stepping up from HT. You can try Vic's in Ballantyne, the Meat House, or the Fresh Market for organic or other premium birds. You'll definitely need to reserve one, and check on it repeatedly. You don't want to find out the day before that you don't have a turkey.

Cooking a turkey isn't difficult, but DO NOT OVERCOOK IT. It keeps cooking for a long time after you take it out of the oven. This is the number one mistake people make, because they're concerned about salmonella or cancer or catching mono or something. You can try brining, and I think stuffing a bird tastes better and helps to keep it from drying out.

Time the rest of the dinner around the bird. I have a friend who fancies himself to be a gourmet, and a few years ago he tried his first turkey dinner. Several of were helping with side dishes and had timed them to be ready around 1:00 PM. The bird wasn't done until nearly 4:00, and then my buddy nearly had a panic attack about making gravy, which would have taken another hour. I told him to take the bird and go away, and had some awesome (yes, awesome) gravy 15 minutes later.

T-day dinner doesn't have to be difficult. It is time consuming, and takes some planning. Having a few beverages helps too.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 11-10-2011 at 03:12 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 03:01 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,166,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
Thanks. Where do I preorder a fresh one from Harris Teeter Deli section or meat dept?
I agree w/vmax, that if you're going to order fresh, go ahead and get one from Fresh Market, Earth Fare, or small place like that. That being said, I'm honestly not sure how to get a fresh turkey from HT. I bet they would have info on their website or you could call.

Enjoy your first Thanksgiving at home!

Old 11-10-2011, 03:16 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,329,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I agree w/vmax, that if you're going to order fresh, go ahead and get one from Fresh Market, Earth Fare, or small place like that. That being said, I'm honestly not sure how to get a fresh turkey from HT. I bet they would have info on their website or you could call.

Enjoy your first Thanksgiving at home!
Earth Fare is another place I should have mentioned. Local farms, as have been recommended in numerous other threads, would be a good source as well.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:23 PM

1,738 posts, read 848,647 times
From the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service "Prepare a Safe and Delicious Thanksgiving Turkey for Your Guests"

Prepare a Safe and Delicious Thanksgiving Turkey for Your Guests | USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service

Hope it all turns out well and that you have a fantastic Thanksgiving!

Old 11-10-2011, 03:23 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,582,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
If you visit your Harris Teeter, preferably during the week in the mornings, you can speak with the meat department manager and place your order for a fresh turkey. You can also tell them what day you prefer to pick it up (and time). HTH

Old 11-10-2011, 06:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,356,279 times
Frozens are $0.47 per lb @ HT right now FWIW.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:09 AM

Thanks guys. Will check out Earth Fare and Fresh Market this weekend. I have a meat thermometer so I will just keep checking on that regularly to make sure we dont under/over cook it.

We are all pretty laid back so even if it turns out to be a disaster we would all be fine with pizza as a backup plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte