Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 7,261 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the Huntersville area in a few months and would like the opinion of people who live in the area with regard to subdivisions (builders) and schools. Max budget is $350k. I saw a similar thread back in '08, but would like some current feedback. Thanks in advance for your help, it's very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 09:30 AM

958 posts, read 1,724,534 times
Huntersville, NC Neighborhoods

Old 05-19-2011, 11:25 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,348 times
Since you mentioned builders, are you just asking which builders built the best homes or do you prefer to buy a new home?

Old 05-19-2011, 12:18 PM

488 posts, read 798,903 times
It depends on the where you want to live. If you want North Charlotte/Huntersville then I would look in Highland Creek and Skybrook neighborhoods.

For the other side close to Lake Norman - RUN do not walk to Torrence Creek Elementary. Don't let the trailers scare you - it is the best school private or public in Charlotte IMHO. My son went there and the quality and caring is second to none.

Strong parental involvement and a strong administration. I don't know what subdivisions go there anymore since they moved the lines but it is an incredible school. If my son could have stayed there through 12th I would not be in Private now with him.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:26 PM

40 posts, read 109,162 times
Highland Creek was a huge foreclosure nightmare fyi. It's an amazingly large area of residential. If 350k is max, I'd be trying for modest lakefront/view, personally. Not sure what the market is up there as of late, though, so maybe Highland turned around. Birkdale area might be worth looking into.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:53 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson23 View Post
Highland Creek was a huge foreclosure nightmare fyi. It's an amazingly large area of residential. If 350k is max, I'd be trying for modest lakefront/view, personally. Not sure what the market is up there as of late, though, so maybe Highland turned around. Birkdale area might be worth looking into.

Give me a break

Highland Creek has been and will continue to be a solid neighborhood.

With over 1000 homes, a great neighborhood school and great amenities it's a very desirable place to live.

Currently there are about 60 homes in foreclosure - I would hardly classify that as a "huge foreclosure nightmare"

What I would say to the OP though is that it may not be their best bet if they are trying to stay on the I77 corridor. To be able to do that I say to look at Monteith or Northstone, both of which are in Huntersville while Highland Creek is not

Last edited by lovesMountains; 05-19-2011 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: spelling!

Old 05-19-2011, 12:58 PM

40 posts, read 109,162 times
Notice my use of tense, I haven't been in that area for nearly 2 or 3 years. I even sad "maybe Highland turned around." I mentioned it because based on the history I felt it might be worth looking into.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:59 PM

XcapefromNJ: Not looking to build a new home, just want to make sure I am buying a well built "used" home.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:01 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson23 View Post
Notice my use of tense, I haven't been in that area for nearly 2 or 3 years. I even sad "maybe Highland turned around." I mentioned it because based on the history I felt it might be worth looking into.

Again, I have to take exception to your choice of words as Highland Creek has ALWAYS been stable - it has never had to "turn around".

Old 05-19-2011, 01:02 PM

Great to know. I have heard nothing but great things about Torrence Creek. Where did your son attend middle school? Did you approve? At what point did you put him in private? What HS school would he have attended if you stayed with public?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
It depends on the where you want to live. If you want North Charlotte/Huntersville then I would look in Highland Creek and Skybrook neighborhoods.

For the other side close to Lake Norman - RUN do not walk to Torrence Creek Elementary. Don't let the trailers scare you - it is the best school private or public in Charlotte IMHO. My son went there and the quality and caring is second to none.

Strong parental involvement and a strong administration. I don't know what subdivisions go there anymore since they moved the lines but it is an incredible school. If my son could have stayed there through 12th I would not be in Private now with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte