Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 01:25 PM

11 posts, read 18,203 times

Advertisements

My wife, dog and I are all moving to Charlotte within a week. We like the creative scene and like the idea of having greenways nearby. I will be working near the Wells Fargo building in downtown. I used to telecommute so a long commute to work is not something I look forward to. Are there any areas that meet the following criteria? We are looking for rentals.

28202 is the zip for work.
Walkable is greatly desired
Parks
Dog friendly
sub 1100 a month
2 or 3 bedrooms
Most importantly is safety where we won't be afraid to walk outside past 9pm

Also...
This is the first time moving out of state what should I expect to do? Change all insurance information, etc. but what else to expect?

I know we need to register the dog and register our cars.

Last edited by Floridian1; 04-07-2011 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: update
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 03:53 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyHeightsWay View Post
Something like this would seem to fit your needs: Very Nice Home close to Uptown (http://charlotte.craigslist.org/apa/2305917353.html - broken link)

Sorry, but he said

"Most importantly is safety where we won't be afraid to walk outside past 9pm."

Old 04-07-2011, 04:01 PM

21 posts, read 38,062 times
Sorry, but you continue to be wrong about this. I walk past this house twice a
day w my dog, often well past 9pm, and have NEVER had a problem. How about you drive on over here so you can get over your dated misconceptions about Wesley Heights.

What's funny is how many DMs I have gotten about your MO and anti 'urban' views, guess I'm not the only who notices it.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridian1 View Post
My wife, dog and I are all moving to Charlotte within a week. We like the creative scene and like the idea of having greenways nearby. I will be working near the Wells Fargo building in downtown. I used to telecommute so a long commute to work is not something I look forward to. Are there any areas that meet the following criteria? We are looking for rentals.

28202 is the zip for work.
Walkable is greatly desired
Parks
Dog friendly
sub 1100 a month
2 or 3 bedrooms
Most importantly is safety where we won't be afraid to walk outside past 9pm

Also...
This is the first time moving out of state what should I expect to do? Change all insurance information, etc. but what else to expect?

I know we need to register the dog and register our cars.

It's going to be hard to find a house in your price range very close to uptown. And if you do, you'll want to be careful of the area because it's not likely to be the safest.

Plan on a commute of at least 30 minutes and you'll have more options.

And if you live on/near the bus line you wouldn't have to do any of that driving yourself, just sit back and read the paper

Old 04-07-2011, 04:09 PM

No rentals <$1100 in a safe area within 30 minutes of Uptown? What planet do you live on?

Old 04-07-2011, 04:50 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,291,881 times
I agree with lovesMountains. There is no way I would consider walking through that greenway at night, maybe not even the day time. It's not anti-urban, but rather common sense. There is a reason that 99% of the people working in 28202 never venture West of I-77. To the OP, I recommend sticking to something on the East Side of I-77 and preferably towards the South.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:21 PM

11 posts, read 18,203 times
Ok, I have read the other thread where the two of them have their differences. I appreciate all the info. I need to make a decision quickly and need to consider everything. Please be blunt.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:28 PM

You might want to come on over too and let the countless joggers, moms w strollers, dog walker, elderly folks, etc know the neighborhood and 3 greenways they walk on every single day aren't safe. How laughable.

West Chatlotte has long been a tough part of town, but that is changing. Wesley Heights is a prime example of that, but old bias dies hard.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:29 PM

Some of the local rental companies to check out online are Meca and TR Lawing.

As you find homes you are interested in please feel free to post the address (not the link to the home as that is against the TOS) and people can tell you what they know about that area and if it meets your criteria.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:39 PM

Where ever you end up, welcome to Charlotte. And when you (or anyone else) get the chance, come on over to the Westside and have a burger at Pinky's or bananna pudding at Savor and then take a drive through Wesley Heights, I think you'll enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte