Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,636 times

Advertisements

I don't have cable or dish. I just use a cheap indoor antenna. We are able to watch 20 channels. WBTV is the only channel we have an issue with. It is so much of a problem that we rarely watch WBTV anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 10:03 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
I know the OP is almost 2 years old but I have the same problem with CBS and have TWC. I think it is mainly on the DVR box though, and I actually only seem to have a problem with the HD channel. Although for awhile it had seemed like even if I would select the non-HD channel it would put it on the HD channel and then I would get the same problem. I have been able to get the non-HD channel without many issues though recently. I don't really watch CBS that much, only for football and a couple shows during the week, and I am pretty sure the problem is only with CBS.

I did have a tech come out and he eventually suggested just getting a new box. Of course he didn't have any on him and told me to go to the payment center...

Old 12-03-2012, 10:14 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
WBTV doesn't actually transmit a SD channel. They only transmit a HD channel at 1080i. TWC and the other pay TV providers take this video, and re-encode it into a SD channel for their customers who lack HD equipment and a potentially lower resolution HD channel where you need digital equipment to pick it up. You can (right now) pick up that channel simply by hooking their coax directly to a TV with a QAM tuner (any current TV will have this) or by using one of their set top boxes.

For absolutely the best picture for the local stations, it takes an over the air (OTA) antenna where you can pick up the original signal. I use this and the pictures are quite stunning for WBTV's HD shows.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:16 AM

5,159 posts, read 7,346,591 times
I have no difficulty in receiving a strong signal from WBTV down here in Greenville, SC. I get a full 100% signal strength on a Panasonic plasma TV, and a full 10 bars on a Samsung plasma TV. With an attic antenna and preamp split between the 2 TVs. But I can also receive it at 100% with an indoor HDTVa amplified antenna on the upstairs TV. The Terk model is sold at HHG but is cheaper online. And Best Buy sells the outdoor/attic version, the HDTVo. But again cheaper from an online vendor. Also, I get WCNC and WJZY at 8-10 bars, and even WMYT is usually 10 bars. As for WSOC, I am able to hang onto their relay signal on 9.5 at about 2-3 bars most of the time, and 9.1 often comes in at up to 10 bars in the evening and overnight. WCCB only sometimes at night. But I have the local GSP channels with strong signals, so Charlotte is a nice bonus. But ironically I get WBTV stronger than WLOS from Asheville, which fluctuates from 6-8 bars on Channel 13, which is considered a true local channel here rather than Channel 3. As for CBS, I am lucky to receive two strong signals, including WSPA which is also 100% on Channel 7.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:37 PM

And I am glad to receive WSPA -7 because they have some local programming that WBTV does not. A local morning show and an evening entertainment program. And local news. And they sometimes have different NFL games on Sunday. And I like MeTV on 7.2, as I cannot reliably receive WCCB. And I also enjoy Antenna TV on WJZY 46.2. So I definitely enjoy the variety of an OTA antenna. Parts of Charlotte should be able to get GSP and Columbia stations, and other areas the Greensboro channels. And the main Clt locals of course. With an antenna. People forget they still exist and still work, with a nice digital picture. No more snow or ghosting.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,016 times
Is anyone else having problems picking up Channel 3.1 and 3.2 using an over the air antenna? This has just recently started occurring.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:52 PM

I still receive WBTV-3 at 100% here in Greenville, SC. But I know in the past year they have replaced some tubes and other technical aspects of their transmission system. And that could possibly impact your location, not sure. And sometimes they run a bit at reduced power. Or it could be changing summer time weather conditions. I would call their engineering if you continue to have issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte