Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 05:51 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times

Advertisements

In the past it did happen on BOTH receivers, but there is a chance it could be the receiver. I am going to reset it and see if that will help. I am also going to set the downstairs DVR to record some of the same shows and if it happens again I can check the other DVR.

Thanks,

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Perhaps its the dvr??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 06:02 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Called Directv and they said it must be a broadcasting issue. UGH! I figured that would happen.....

I told her that my friends with CABLE haven't had this issue and she said that they get different feeds than the cable company but that noone else has reported it so it must be my receiver.

I explained that it is happening on ALL of our receivers, not just one.....and she said she can't help me at all unless I call WHILE it is happening. I don't watch live TV, so how can I call when it is happening? And even if I did, by the time I call to trouble shoot it would be over anyway.

Meanwhile, I am missing full 15 minute segments of shows. I just watched 42 min. of Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior taped last night. The final 18 minutes are complete silence! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thankfully my DTV contract is up in April. I am not sure what to do since I hate TWC and we can't get Dish. But I hate paying for TV I can't get.

Thanks for listening to my RANT.....just very frustrated at the moment.

Dawn
I am on DirecTV and I haven't had a constant issue. Do note that last night for instance there were strong winds which can shake/slightly move a satellite dish. This small movement can move the signal i.e. cause blackout.

Just out of curiousity, did you tape it as HD? The HD signal is alot smaller. For me, the standard signal NEVER has knocked out for us. The HD signal has only gone black a couple of times in the years (only for a couple of minutes during windstorms) we have been on DirecTV.

Last night for me (in Fort Mill), I was able to watch HD Programming live around that same time.

EDIT: Either way, you should call someone.
1) Does this happen on other channels?
2) Is this happening on 1 or multiple boxes?

Old 02-26-2011, 06:18 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Something else to try if you haven't done so already. Turn off the receiver and unplug it. Wait a moment and then plug it back in. Sometimes these software resets will fix these glitches.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:22 PM

It seems to only happen with CBS, but, that channel also seems to have more shows that I watch, so it may not be the channel itself....but it appears to be.

It happened once on two boxes (DVRs) but I have stopped recording the same shows on both DVRs so I haven't been able to check that out with recent shows.

I am going to reset the downstairs DVR to record some of the same CBS shows and if it happens again I can check.

It could be weather related....didn't really think of that, although usually weather causes the entire thing to go out, not sound only.

I will reset it too and see if I continue to have issues.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
I am on DirecTV and I haven't had a constant issue. Do note that last night for instance there were strong winds which can shake/slightly move a satellite dish. This small movement can move the signal i.e. cause blackout.

Just out of curiousity, did you tape it as HD? The HD signal is alot smaller. For me, the standard signal NEVER has knocked out for us. The HD signal has only gone black a couple of times in the years (only for a couple of minutes during windstorms) we have been on DirecTV.

Last night for me (in Fort Mill), I was able to watch HD Programming live around that same time.

EDIT: Either way, you should call someone.
1) Does this happen on other channels?
2) Is this happening on 1 or multiple boxes?

Old 02-27-2011, 02:51 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
If you are using HDMI cables as part of your hookup that could be the issue too. I watch TV from XBOX through receiver to TV and sometimes I have to reset the receiver to get the HDMI handshake to work properly in order to get sound.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:18 AM

Thank you all so much. I will try these suggestions and hope for the best.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:58 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
You are probably in the same conundrum as many of us. I HATE TWC, had a serious issue with Direct Tv and my son had issues with Dish. SO, I took the lesser of the three evils. As much as I hate TWC, the service is excellent most times and if there are any issues, they usually fix them quickly. SO....(sigh)....that is what I do.....

Old 03-08-2011, 09:44 AM

518 posts, read 2,060,526 times
twc almost always says the box needs to be replaced. that's their first step to resolving issues (except for rebooting). they did do a big sw overhaul late last year. might be a good idea to swap it out. plus they have remotes with a light now

Old 03-09-2011, 11:50 AM

286 posts, read 688,821 times
TWC sucks most of the time in my house - pictures are in and out, no sound at times, skipping constantly. We do all the basics with rebooting, etc. I must say they are quick to respond to service calls. Most of the time I have turn the TV off and then back on again.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:53 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
If you have one of the new control boxes that may be the problem. They have a defect in them and people are turning them in . I got rid of mind and now I dont have picture issues...Of course TW wont admit they have faulty equipment,but they do. any more issues and I will have to get rid of them and buy something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte