Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 03:43 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times

Advertisements

I personally don't think that Charlotte and vicinity is overvalued. It's an area where everyone wants to live so that brings a lot of demand. The educational system is decent (better than other areas in the South at least.) Very family-oriented. I live in Louisville (thinking about moving to Charlotte) and there is a reason why Louisville is much cheaper than Charlotte. Kentucky has dismal public schools, good jobs outside of healthcare are hard to find, and most of Louisville is blue-collar focused. I think Louisville is one of the best values in the country with all its issues but there is a reason why everyone is trying to get to Charlotte rather than Louisville or Cincinnati and that shows in the prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,684 times
sounds like someone can't afford the kind of house he wants....

Old 02-10-2011, 04:49 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,690,276 times
To the OP. I understand your view on the housing stock. Many homes that are listed are WAYYYYY overpriced. Also, I would not pay $300K for a house with vinyl house.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:04 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,037,467 times
Good ole Mexican standoff... I have my opinions regarding who's side time is on. But, the reality is that this is what drives the market.

There's a fairly steady stream of threads from both sides really. The sellers and buyers are likely equally frustrated at this point.

As crazy as 300k for vinyl seems, people are paying twice as much for it in certain markets across the country. At a certain number location trumps all. The big difference here (besides the lower CoL, etc) is that you have very competitive new construction sharing the same schools and offering the finish that many homes don't have. I think it's playing havoc in the price points below 500k - it's really crunching the 400s and below because they float just above the FHA limits for the area. Currently 303k for the MSA and scheduled to go down later this year to 272k. Those easier, low down payment govt backed loans are going to correct things even lower unless they extend it. It would be good news if they extend it, but one wonders how long that current theme in Washington will last. 600k+? Don't even know what to say there.

In the end, it's like buying anything else... Yo, you want it? No? ok

Don't fight the people, fight the system.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:51 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,554,420 times
The express train headed I-77 north back to Ohio leaves in 10 minutes. All aboard and adios amigo!

Old 02-11-2011, 06:47 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,323,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Many homes that are listed are WAYYYYY overpriced. Also, I would not pay $300K for a house with vinyl house.
+1

IMHO $300K and up should mean no vinyl & no slab.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:54 AM

985 posts, read 1,903,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
+1

agreed no vinyl was a requirement we had at our price point.

But there was quite a bit with at least a full back of vinyl, if not more

Old 02-11-2011, 08:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,553,480 times
Quote:
+1

Agree.

But newcomers were willing to pay MORE than 300K for brick facade, 3 sides vinyl on houses in UC before the bust of 2008. And since the areas OP is looking in have a very high saturation of folks who moved here from elsewhere, the standards are based on the types of new housing that were built (and in some cases, continue to be built) in that particular part of the country.

Prices will stay higher in that area as long as newcomers are willing to buy them at those prices. It all comes down to DEMAND.

There are plenty of subdivisions and/or areas of the metro where the OP can find the house he wants at the price he wants. But since he has decided on one particular area . . . the old adage . . . "location, location, location" comes into play.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:37 AM

748 posts, read 1,772,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyav View Post
sounds like someone can't afford the kind of house he wants....

I was thinking the same thing.

We would have had to bump our range up to $400k to get the lot size that we wanted, but we couldn't swing it. That's life. Maybe next year.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:46 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,223,981 times
Quote:
+1

That's your opinion, some people prefer slab (i.e. see the multitude of posts of this site with the discussion), as for vinal, so people prefer the look, but even if not, I have seen ver nice houses with brick, vinal, stone, wood faux shingles for over $300K. All depends on the house and what the buyer is looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte