Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:58 AM

171 posts, read 318,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
Can we sue the tax authority when they don't have the correct # either?
It all seems kinda silly to me.
The silly part comes from the close to worthless real estate industry.

No you can't sue the tax office. It's the owner's responsibility to file the proper blueprints for the home at the time of construction and/or any additions so the house can be assessed correctly for property tax purposes. In fact, if the tax office doesn't have this, the owner is liable for any taxes not paid. If the house is worth less than recorded, the owner can petition for a reduction. If you see a home listed for sale where the tax office has a much different number recorded for square footage then you should start to ask questions. i.e. Did they do an addition without filing building permit. Once you own it, you are liable for this.

---------------------------------

This situation is why I say that you should pay little attention to real estate agents when purchasing a house. They changed the rule to protect themselves from not doing proper due diligence. If you are interested in a home, you can of course ask them to provide the square footage as they understand it, and if they refuse, then walk out on the deal. I would also find another real estate agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 09:09 AM

314 posts, read 679,179 times
Real estate agents do get held accountable for the square footage measurement and can only be off by a certain percentage actually.
I think another reason for the range is basically if you have 3 different people measure you may get 3 different results (say 2,000, 2010,2020) some homes are easier to measure than others too. Real estate agents can measure themselves or hire an appraiser to do it but they are held accountable either way.
Just like the HUD...the attorney puts it together but the agent is still held accountable for mistakes.

I don't like to lump people into one category....does one dirty cop make them all dirty? Does one lazy agent make them all lazy? No. And there are plenty of good, honest hardworking agents, cops, etc. out there. It seems ignorant to lump eveyone onto one category.

Just because you or someone you know had a bad experience doesn't mean everyone else will. Buyers and Sellers should do their due diligence when hiring an agent, know their own financial status, be honest with their agents and consult with the correct professionals for the correct answers...ask an attorney legal questions, an accountant tax questions, etc.

Some people really can sell homes without an agent, some don't have the time, sometimes buyers don't want to deal with a seller directly. There are plenty of reasons to use or not use an agent. YOU decide what works best for you and if you choose to use an agent do your homework, take their professional advice on pricing, staging, curb appeal, even if it means a lower asking price, repainting the bright red room, de-cluttering your teddy bear collection, taking down family photos, etc. Don't blame the agent if you ignore the advice and things don't work out.

Real estate is a tricky, sometimes confusing, and an ever changing industry. That is why agents exist. The good ones know what the current market conditions are, refer your questions to the correct professionals, and are up to date on the changing forms (such as the new offer to purchase), rules, etc.

I know I just went off on a tangent...but I've been holding back for a while! LOL

Old 12-04-2010, 09:41 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,608,818 times
Well said MA2NC. I am not a real estate agent but I know many agents that work very hard. I have been in the real estate business for almost 30 years and I would not buy or sell a home without an agent representing me.

I don't quite understand the agent-bashing except that some people belittle others in order to feel better about themselves. Most of the agents I have dealt with over the years worked very hard for the benefit of their client. In my opinion, most earn every dollar.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:32 PM

622 posts, read 1,789,409 times
MA2NC

A very well put response. Agents are held accountable for square footage and many other areas in a transaction.

I don't where the most critisism comes from. I am a Realtor and a member of the architectural review board in my community. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:28 PM

171 posts, read 318,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post

I don't quite understand the agent-bashing except that some people belittle others in order to feel better about themselves.
This is what you are attempting to do in your response. I would say that one should first practice what they preach before preaching it.

If you read what I posted closely I never said "all" real estate agents. in fact I said go find another one if the one you are dealing with won't do their due diligence. Ultimately it is the purchaser who will be dealing with all the issues and paying the bills so it's completely folly to forget this.

Remember this. There are millions of homeowners in homes that are being foreclosed on because the home they purchased cost too much, they can't afford it, and/or the places are becoming as worthless as the dirt they are built on. In almost all these cases, there was a member of the real estate industry there enabling and encouraging these homeowners into this tragedy and collecting 6% of each sale.

No, they don't get a blanket free pass from me and any potential home buyer will be better off to remember this.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:06 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,114,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2NC View Post
Real estate agents do get held accountable for the square footage measurement and can only be off by a certain percentage actually.
I think another reason for the range is basically if you have 3 different people measure you may get 3 different results (say 2,000, 2010,2020) some homes are easier to measure than others too. Real estate agents can measure themselves or hire an appraiser to do it but they are held accountable either way.
Just like the HUD...the attorney puts it together but the agent is still held accountable for mistakes.

I don't like to lump people into one category....does one dirty cop make them all dirty? Does one lazy agent make them all lazy? No. And there are plenty of good, honest hardworking agents, cops, etc. out there. It seems ignorant to lump eveyone onto one category.

Just because you or someone you know had a bad experience doesn't mean everyone else will. Buyers and Sellers should do their due diligence when hiring an agent, know their own financial status, be honest with their agents and consult with the correct professionals for the correct answers...ask an attorney legal questions, an accountant tax questions, etc.

Some people really can sell homes without an agent, some don't have the time, sometimes buyers don't want to deal with a seller directly. There are plenty of reasons to use or not use an agent. YOU decide what works best for you and if you choose to use an agent do your homework, take their professional advice on pricing, staging, curb appeal, even if it means a lower asking price, repainting the bright red room, de-cluttering your teddy bear collection, taking down family photos, etc. Don't blame the agent if you ignore the advice and things don't work out.

Real estate is a tricky, sometimes confusing, and an ever changing industry. That is why agents exist. The good ones know what the current market conditions are, refer your questions to the correct professionals, and are up to date on the changing forms (such as the new offer to purchase), rules, etc.

I know I just went off on a tangent...but I've been holding back for a while! LOL

Well said!

Old 12-04-2010, 05:17 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,608,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryTwist View Post
This is what you are attempting to do in your response. I would say that one should first practice what they preach before preaching it.

If you read what I posted closely I never said "all" real estate agents. in fact I said go find another one if the one you are dealing with won't do their due diligence. Ultimately it is the purchaser who will be dealing with all the issues and paying the bills so it's completely folly to forget this.

Remember this. There are millions of homeowners in homes that are being foreclosed on because the home they purchased cost too much, they can't afford it, and/or the places are becoming as worthless as the dirt they are built on. In almost all these cases, there was a member of the real estate industry there enabling and encouraging these homeowners into this tragedy and collecting 6% of each sale.

No, they don't get a blanket free pass from me and any potential home buyer will be better off to remember this.
I was never forced by anyone to purchase property and I can't say I have ever known anyone that has. My property (along with every other property in this area) has declined in value over the last 3 - 4 years but I am not blaming the real estate professionals for this. It's easy to blame others for the decisions we make; as adults its time to grow up and take control of our own lives.

BTW - I wasn't agent-bashing and I wasn't preaching - only stating my opinion .

And to get back on topic about square footage - if there is a concern or question about the GLA of the home you are buying you should measure the home yourself.

Last edited by Charlotteborn; 12-04-2010 at 05:34 PM..

Old 12-04-2010, 07:17 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,015,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I was never forced by anyone to purchase property and I can't say I have ever known anyone that has. My property (along with every other property in this area) has declined in value over the last 3 - 4 years but I am not blaming the real estate professionals for this. It's easy to blame others for the decisions we make; as adults its time to grow up and take control of our own lives.

BTW - I wasn't agent-bashing and I wasn't preaching - only stating my opinion .

And to get back on topic about square footage - if there is a concern or question about the GLA of the home you are buying you should measure the home yourself.
Very well said...

Also as an agent we are required to have in our listing file proof of how we came up with the square footage. I personally pay someone to go measure the home and they provide me a floorplan with dimensions. So if asked by anyone I am able to provide correct square footage.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:20 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,986,465 times
The range means the Realtor and broker do not wish to be sued for misrepresenting square footage. It is too dangerous because it is too easy to make a mistake. The buyer needs to do due diligence if actual square footage is important to them. They can check with the City or County to see what is on record then ask about any discrepancies.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:24 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,986,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryTwist View Post
The silly part comes from the close to worthless real estate industry.

No you can't sue the tax office. It's the owner's responsibility to file the proper blueprints for the home at the time of construction and/or any additions so the house can be assessed correctly for property tax purposes. In fact, if the tax office doesn't have this, the owner is liable for any taxes not paid. If the house is worth less than recorded, the owner can petition for a reduction. If you see a home listed for sale where the tax office has a much different number recorded for square footage then you should start to ask questions. i.e. Did they do an addition without filing building permit. Once you own it, you are liable for this.

---------------------------------

This situation is why I say that you should pay little attention to real estate agents when purchasing a house. They changed the rule to protect themselves from not doing proper due diligence. If you are interested in a home, you can of course ask them to provide the square footage as they understand it, and if they refuse, then walk out on the deal. I would also find another real estate agent.
I don't know what "rule" you are referring to, but the buyer is the one who has the obligation to do due diligence . . . Caveat Emptor . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte