Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:31 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,339,068 times

Advertisements

I see the county is gearing up for lots of appeals on the new assessments we are going to get this week. I am also gearing up! How will I go about appealing the square footage listed on my assessment? Will I have to hire a licensed appraiser to measure my house? There are 2 numbers, total sq ft and heated sq ft. Does anyone know if the total sq ft number is supposed to include the area of a back deck? (We have a very large deck). I have always felt the heated square footage on our tax assessment is overstated. I am happy with the size of our house; I just don't think it is as big as listed. For example, there are other houses in this subdivision with the exact same floor plan that are assessed with lower sq footage. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: A closer look at the assessment shows 4 measured areas: 1, first floor + 2, upper story = heated sq ft, and 3. garage + 4, porch, gives total. The number for the "porch" is very small, might even be the front porch rather than the rear deck. Either way, I think the total heated sq ft is too high.

Last edited by XcapefromNJ; 02-07-2011 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 05:23 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,771,068 times
It is an important factor but you're going to need more than thinking. You're going to need measurements. My statement shows I have an extra bedroom but I really don't care about that because the sq. ft is right and that's more important and I don't want them coming into my house.

Did you get a floorplan when you bought the house? That should have the wall lengths you could measure. Or of course take a ruler.

There's actually a VERY large PDF you can download from the reval website that will show you how to measure but there's one catch.

They are measuring from the outside. So unless it's significant I wouldn't bother with an appeal. And if you have a structure that didn't have a permit pulled you'll get caught if they look harder. If they find something present that you didn't pull a permit on then you have back taxes and fines.

Remember, a vampire can't come in unless you invite him.

But I mean if it's 500sq feet then by all means.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:36 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,007,213 times
It is actually pretty simple. Call 311, have them connect you to the property tax dept., tell them you believe the sq footage on you tax record is incorrect. They will send someone out to re-measure, if it is off you can ask for up to 5 yrs of overpayment to be refunded to you. It is not a fast process but it is easy. I had a client with a loft that over looked a 2 story family room. When they measured they did not realise there was no floor in that area so their tax record had almost 600 extra sq ft. I think they were going to get almost $2K back!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:50 PM

Thanks - They will actually send someone out to do the measurements? I see how that can be a 2 edged sword, but I think my situation might be exactly like the one you are describing gkleoni1. We have a 2 story family room and the connecting small room (piano room for us) also goes up 2 stories. I suspect they may be counting as if there is a 2nd floor above at least that piano room. I guess what I will do is attempt to measure it first myself and see what I get.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:55 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,771,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
Thanks - They will actually send someone out to do the measurements? I see how that can be a 2 edged sword, but I think my situation might be exactly like the one you are describing gkleoni1. We have a 2 story family room and the connecting small room (piano room for us) also goes up 2 stories. I suspect they may be counting as if there is a 2nd floor above at least that piano room. I guess what I will do is attempt to measure it first myself and see what I get.
Yeah measuring it yourself is a good idea. Lowes or Radio Shack has these ultrasonic thingies so you don't have to use a ruler.

The number of stories you have is also listed on Real Estate Lookup so check that over carefully too.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:38 AM

622 posts, read 1,784,015 times
In my opinion it is best to hire an appraiser to do the measurement. There are a number of issues to measuring a house correctly and an individual, who is not experienced in the process, can quite easily have an incorrect result. I always pay an appraiser to measure any home that my clients are buying or selling. It is well worth the $50-75 cost.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:25 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,025,090 times
I would second the professional appraiser. An argument looks more valid if you're willing to spend a little $ for a professional opinion to support your claim.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmarin View Post
There are a number of issues to measuring a house correctly and an individual, who is not experienced in the process, can quite easily have an incorrect result.
No kidding! I will do some research, but as I think about it, I wonder what they are supposed to be measuring. Do I include area underneath the kitchen island? Closets? Hallways? Is it only area that I can put my foot on? Stairways? I will wait for the assessment, but will likely hire an appraiser.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:54 AM

Just got our new assessment. It is up 26%, and only 5.5% lower than what we paid for the house in June 2008. Lower would have been nice, but I can't say it is outrageously off. Recent sales in the neighborhood have all been around 25% - 35% above the old assessed value, with a few outliers (foreclosures).

[ Shouldn't we have an official "I got my new assessment" thread, so we can all compare? ]

Old 02-08-2011, 03:46 PM

359 posts, read 592,375 times
Mine is so low...lol

I guess my area is now worthless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte