Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:25 AM

367 posts, read 1,030,107 times

Advertisements

We just got our home assessment for a house we bought 'New' in November. We paid 286,300, now they are appraising it at $300,100. This is Cabarrus County by the way. I am appealing it. Am I waisting my time sending in an appeal? We have done no improvments on it yet. We don't even have our fence up yet. I see no reason in todays market for it to have gone up that much. If anything it should have gone down. I know they are listing our home model cheaper than it was listed when we bought ours. Only thing I can think of is this is how we are paying for Mr. Fancy Pants' racetrack improvements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 07:29 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,038,269 times
Default I am so confused

b/c I thought down here appraisal didn't mean anything..mine is much lower then what I paid.

back in PA you would take the tax assessment double it and that is what you could sell your house for... it must be different down here.

I guess if you are not selling anytime soon you would not want the high tag for taxes but if you are selling and this is how the housing prices are calculated then maybe I need to appeal b/c mine is really low.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
b/c I thought down here appraisal didn't mean anything..mine is much lower then what I paid.

back in PA you would take the tax assessment double it and that is what you could sell your house for... it must be different down here.

I guess if you are not selling anytime soon you would not want the high tag for taxes but if you are selling and this is how the housing prices are calculated then maybe I need to appeal b/c mine is really low.
In Oregon we got a tax appraisel that was a percentage of what the actual market value is. It also showed what the actual market value was. Our tax rate was based on the assessment not the actual market rate. Here your taxes are based on that assessment which is "supposed" to be in the neighborhood of its actual market rate. There is no way I could sell this house for $300,000 dollars right now, no way. If your is less than what you paid for it, that is bad and good. Your taxes will be lower, but you probably would not be able to get your money back, at least if you sold right now.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
In Oregon we got a tax appraisel that was a percentage of what the actual market value is. It also showed what the actual market value was. Our tax rate was based on the assessment not the actual market rate. Here your taxes are based on that assessment which is "supposed" to be in the neighborhood of its actual market rate. There is no way I could sell this house for $300,000 dollars right now, no way. If your is less than what you paid for it, that is bad and good. Your taxes will be lower, but you probably would not be able to get your money back, at least if you sold right now.
Not to scare you, but lenders will usually not lend money to buyers if they try to buy a house for more that it apraises for. If there is any chance of you needing to sell soon, I would appeal

Old 04-24-2008, 07:44 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,562,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
We just got our home assessment for a house we bought 'New' in November. We paid 286,300, now they are appraising it at $300,100. This is Cabarrus County by the way. I am appealing it. Am I waisting my time sending in an appeal? We have done no improvments on it yet. We don't even have our fence up yet. I see no reason in todays market for it to have gone up that much. If anything it should have gone down. I know they are listing our home model cheaper than it was listed when we bought ours. Only thing I can think of is this is how we are paying for Mr. Fancy Pants' racetrack improvements.
Think this one through. Your local government has just decreed your property is worth more than you thought it was. Hmmmm. What does that mean? An increase in your taxes of what? $70 - $6.50/mo? How much did your tax bill actually go up?

Just because we are seeing a blip w/ house sales and prices right now, do not panic over an increase of this small of an increment. I suspect to build your house right now it would cost more. Just hold on. By 2010, things will have adjusted w/ the market on housing prices and your house valuation will be totally in line. And really - what did that increase your bill by? We're talking less than $15,000 here . . .

Old 04-24-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Think this one through. Your local government has just decreed your property is worth more than you thought it was. Hmmmm. What does that mean? An increase in your taxes of what? $70 - $6.50/mo? How much did your tax bill actually go up?

Just because we are seeing a blip w/ house sales and prices right now, do not panic over an increase of this small of an increment. I suspect to build your house right now it would cost more. Just hold on. By 2010, things will have adjusted w/ the market on housing prices and your house valuation will be totally in line. And really - what did that increase your bill by? We're talking less than $15,000 here . . .
I haven't been here long enough to know how much it went up, so you are right, maybe I am getting my feathers ruffled over nothing.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:59 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,742,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Anifani, I think what bothers me is not the actual amount, but the point of the "increase".
The increase was about 5% for 6 months.

Did UC increase 5% over the past 6 months? Absolutely not. Unless someone has a better explanation, this is just a typical fleecing by the local gov't's part...

Old 04-24-2008, 08:09 AM

Default Yikes

Well we plan to sell in 2011 so hopefully that changes b/c mine is $40,000 less then what I paid..that makes me very nervous!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,562,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Anifani, I think what bothers me is not the actual amount, but the point of the "increase".
The increase was about 5% for 6 months.

Did UC increase 5% over the past 6 months? Absolutely not. Unless someone has a better explanation, this is just a typical fleecing by the local gov't's part...
Jack, Jack. <shaking head> You are one of the best sources on this board when it comes to property investment, valuation, etc. I am so surprised that you would not see the direct correlation b/n increasing taxes and the infrastructure improvements needed in UC. Does everyone really feel he/she is not consuming enuff to justify a tax increase???

I wanna talk more w/ you about this. Tell me what you are thinking. Everyone is complaining about roads, water, schools . . . and yet no one wants to ante up?

Old 04-24-2008, 08:10 AM

Default I think it had to do with upgrades

we put about 35-40 into our house with just uprgades and I don't think too many others did so maybe that is why ours is way off base too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte