Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:16 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,744,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Exactly...may transplants here have adopted Carolina as a second team. Heh, trying to go through a season with a rookie qb and rookie receivers well....no chance.
Well of course. That's why the transplant reasoning doesn't hold up. I along w/MANY transplants would embrace the Panthers more if they actually cared about winning instead of gouging their PSL/season ticket holders...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 07:47 AM

128 posts, read 272,566 times
When your team is 0-5 and management has made no decisions that immediately improve the team, you won't get support. I don't care what city you are in. The current economy doesn't help either. Look across the league, there are blackouts across the board. In Tampa, they are facing season long blackouts despite having a 1st place team. Oakland had their 10th straight blackout last week. Games at BofA Stadium are sold out, but a lot of Panther fans choose to show their displeasure by 1) Not showing up at all or 2) selling their tickets to fans of the opposing team. As some others have mentioned, a lot of transplants also consider Carolina to be their #2 team. Charlotte can and does support it's teams... However, this area tends to be fickle. Winning teams get the full support (see Panthers in any of their good seasons and Bobcats last year). Losing teams, not so much. I'm a transplant, but fully support the team (D-Williams jersey and all)...

Old 10-12-2010, 08:13 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,995,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM08 View Post
I was at the Panthers-Bears game Sunday and I was a) surprised at how many Bears fans were there, and b) appalled at their behavior. Are Bears fans always that obnoxious/rude/immature/annoying/dumb?
Yes they are. As a Detroit Lion 'fan', even Detroiters are scared to go to football games in Chicago.

What you saw would be magnified 10x if it was a game against a rivalry. Some people love the city of Chicago, but to me they are by far the rudest people in the midwest.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:15 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,456,812 times
The problem with the Panthers is the gourging of tickets and PSL BS. When I lived in Kansas City (4 years ago), I went to a Kansas City game and paid $60 for 15 yard line lower level 20 rows up tickets. Those same tickets here are in the hundreds. Kansas City at least wins games, which the Panthers have a hard time doing.

I have the same feeling about the Bobcats. They have one winning season and they raise ticket sales. Silly Silly people. I would have bought the 5 pack if I wasn't forced to see the team play the terrible Indiana Pacers. Good luck with them trying to sell that one out

Old 10-12-2010, 11:25 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,976,130 times
I actually think that Jerry Richardson intentionally purged the roster of its veterans, except Steve Smith, to throw this season away and to justify not bringing back John Fox next year! Think about it, 2 years ago, they went 12-4 and won the NFC South, you would think that would justify resigning Fox to a contract extension, but that didn't happen, so now, I think since this season is a lost cause, this is their way of not bringing John Fox back next year! I'm wondering if they will be the second team in history to go 0-16 or if they will be running neck and neck with Buffalo in the race for imperfection, b/c this team stinks!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Can Charlotte support major sports franchises???
When they are winning, they can, no different from any other market when their teams suck! Who the hell wants to shell out their money to watch this trainwreck of a team? Even Buffalo can put some points on the board, this team thru 3 home games haven't even cracked double-digits yet!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:47 AM

128 posts, read 272,566 times
I can tell you as a Bobcats season ticket holder that they actually LOWERED the price of tickets. Jordan understands that Bob Johnson was trying to gouge people and knows that doesn't work, especially when you don't have a Kobe Bryant or Lebron playing on the team every night. So, not sure where anyone got that info, but it's inaccurate. If the Bobcats start becoming a regular playoff team and the popularity of the team expands, you'll see a bit of an increase, but that's economics 101 so it should be expected.

As for the Panthers, and this is pretty common knowledge but people don't like to admit it sometimes, Richardson knew that a lockout is very likely in 2011 so instead of overpaying for a lot of guys that may barely get them into the playoffs in 2010 he decided to cut his losses. And instead of firing Fox last year, when he probably should have, he kept him as a lame duck coach and he'll be gone after this season. He also doesn't have to pay millions for a coach if there's no 2011 season. Now, if there is a 2011 season the Panthers will have a lot of cap room to sign better Free Agents. It isn't popular with a lot of fans, myself included, but it's a sound business decision and may better the Panthers going forward.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbull75 View Post
I can tell you as a Bobcats season ticket holder that they actually LOWERED the price of tickets. Jordan understands that Bob Johnson was trying to gouge people and knows that doesn't work, especially when you don't have a Kobe Bryant or Lebron playing on the team every night. So, not sure where anyone got that info, but it's inaccurate. If the Bobcats start becoming a regular playoff team and the popularity of the team expands, you'll see a bit of an increase, but that's economics 101 so it should be expected.

As for the Panthers, and this is pretty common knowledge but people don't like to admit it sometimes, Richardson knew that a lockout is very likely in 2011 so instead of overpaying for a lot of guys that may barely get them into the playoffs in 2010 he decided to cut his losses. And instead of firing Fox last year, when he probably should have, he kept him as a lame duck coach and he'll be gone after this season. He also doesn't have to pay millions for a coach if there's no 2011 season. Now, if there is a 2011 season the Panthers will have a lot of cap room to sign better Free Agents. It isn't popular with a lot of fans, myself included, but it's a sound business decision and may better the Panthers going forward.
You actually make a lot of sense, dbull! Bobcats tickets are actually lower than average, compared to other NBA cities!

Old 10-12-2010, 01:04 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,744,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbull75 View Post
We'll see and hold you to your prediction!!!

Old 10-12-2010, 02:00 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,642,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM08 View Post
I was at the Panthers-Bears game Sunday and I was a) surprised at how many Bears fans were there, and b) appalled at their behavior. Are Bears fans always that obnoxious/rude/immature/annoying/dumb?

You can root for your team without turning around every time they have a successful play and yelling "YOU GUYS SUCK!!" at the Panthers fans.

You can root for your team without hollering "OOOOOHHHH, YOU'RE SO SCARED!!!!! SCARED LITTLE BABIES!!!!" every time the Panthers have a false start or offsides penalty.

We had to explain what "intentional grounding" was to a guy a few rows ahead of us who stood up and screamed "INTENTIONAL GROUNDING!!!!" over and over again at the top of his lungs every single time Claused threw the ball out of bounds.

You can root for your team without singling out people who are leaving halfway through the 4th quarter by screaming, "TIRED OF LOSING, LOSERS!?!?!?

I was pretty disgusted. We're big sports fans and have been to lots of different venues for various sports, both professional and collegiate. And I have never seen such a display of poor sportsmanship than I did this past weekend from Bears fans.
You obviously have never been to a Steelers/Ravens game. Fans are ready to kill each other at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: