Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 05:23 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,203,027 times

Advertisements

Half the problem is that our lovely city is filled with transplants who refuse to pull for the home team. The other half the problem is that sports fans from the NE treat their football team with more respect than their wives. If I ever put an NFL-brand sticker on my please shoot me. Ditto for wearing a jersey anywhere but... well, nowhere.

College sports are king 'round here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 05:40 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,664,458 times
If I could, I'd probably attend Panthers home games all the time. However, economic realities have to be considered. I am trying to talk some family members into maybe showing up and trying to buy some tickets from scalpers. I don't have any reason to support any other NFL team.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:46 AM

198 posts, read 642,617 times
I was at the Panthers-Bears game Sunday and I was a) surprised at how many Bears fans were there, and b) appalled at their behavior. Are Bears fans always that obnoxious/rude/immature/annoying/dumb?

You can root for your team without turning around every time they have a successful play and yelling "YOU GUYS SUCK!!" at the Panthers fans.

You can root for your team without hollering "OOOOOHHHH, YOU'RE SO SCARED!!!!! SCARED LITTLE BABIES!!!!" every time the Panthers have a false start or offsides penalty.

We had to explain what "intentional grounding" was to a guy a few rows ahead of us who stood up and screamed "INTENTIONAL GROUNDING!!!!" over and over again at the top of his lungs every single time Claused threw the ball out of bounds.

You can root for your team without singling out people who are leaving halfway through the 4th quarter by screaming, "TIRED OF LOSING, LOSERS!?!?!?

I was pretty disgusted. We're big sports fans and have been to lots of different venues for various sports, both professional and collegiate. And I have never seen such a display of poor sportsmanship than I did this past weekend from Bears fans.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:58 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,179,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Where are all the Panther fans? Are you all not attending your games anymore? Whats up with that?? Blackouts coming soon? Thats not good Charlotte.
Wait a minute..blackouts would be perfect then we can see some games from around the country that will mean something.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestem View Post
please please please let us have blackouts, so we can get some good games on tv...
ahhhh..you beat me to it I guess.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM08 View Post
I was at the Panthers-Bears game Sunday and I was a) surprised at how many Bears fans were there, and b) appalled at their behavior. Are Bears fans always that obnoxious/rude/immature/annoying/dumb?

You can root for your team without turning around every time they have a successful play and yelling "YOU GUYS SUCK!!" at the Panthers fans.

You can root for your team without hollering "OOOOOHHHH, YOU'RE SO SCARED!!!!! SCARED LITTLE BABIES!!!!" every time the Panthers have a false start or offsides penalty.

We had to explain what "intentional grounding" was to a guy a few rows ahead of us who stood up and screamed "INTENTIONAL GROUNDING!!!!" over and over again at the top of his lungs every single time Claused threw the ball out of bounds.

You can root for your team without singling out people who are leaving halfway through the 4th quarter by screaming, "TIRED OF LOSING, LOSERS!?!?!?

I was pretty disgusted. We're big sports fans and have been to lots of different venues for various sports, both professional and collegiate. And I have never seen such a display of poor sportsmanship than I did this past weekend from Bears fans.
Ya know...its not the rooting for their team that is tough to take. Its the blatant belittling of the home team that is astounding. Wonder if half these guys would do it if security wasn't right there to protect em. I am a Giant fan. If I went to a game in another teams home stadium, I rooted for the Giants...but with respect and dignity. Its embarassing really, fans are just a disgrace nowadays. All about crappy parenting ...this is why I will never go to games anymore..to many *******s out there.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:09 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,739,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Half the problem is that our lovely city is filled with transplants who refuse to pull for the home team. The other half the problem is that sports fans from the NE treat their football team with more respect than their wives. If I ever put an NFL-brand sticker on my please shoot me. Ditto for wearing a jersey anywhere but... well, nowhere.

College sports are king 'round here.
You are correct about a good portion of the fans, however that excuse is a cop out because the Panthers had no problem filling the stadium when they were doing well over the years....

It has everything to do w/an owner who didn't try to make his team better and do it on the cheap. He is the problem however you won't hear that from people/sportswriters around here because they are mostly afraid to criticize and hold their own accountable.

You put a good product on the field, you'll see fannies in the seats...you do what Richardson did and then you'll have a 30% filled stadium.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:11 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,739,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Ya know...its not the rooting for their team that is tough to take. Its the blatant belittling of the home team that is astounding. Wonder if half these guys would do it if security wasn't right there to protect em. I am a Giant fan. If I went to a game in another teams home stadium, I rooted for the Giants...but with respect and dignity. Its embarassing really, fans are just a disgrace nowadays. All about crappy parenting ...this is why I will never go to games anymore..to many *******s out there.
There is a fine line between rooting for your team and just acting like an a*hole...

However, you can blame management on this one. Put a product on the field that's worthwhile to see and you won't have the problem. Case closed.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You are correct about a good portion of the fans, however that excuse is a cop out because the Panthers had no problem filling the stadium when they were doing well over the years....

It has everything to do w/an owner who didn't try to make his team better and do it on the cheap. He is the problem however you won't hear that from people/sportswriters around here because they are mostly afraid to criticize and hold their own accountable.

You put a good product on the field, you'll see fannies in the seats...you do what Richardson did and then you'll have a 30% filled stadium.
Exactly...many transplants here have adopted Carolina as a second team. As long as they dont play the Giants we root for em every week. Many teams in the NFL struggle when the team is bad.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:15 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,363,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM08 View Post

I am a Bears fan, and I was at the Sunday game. Nowhere in my section or around me did I hear any of the comments you are claiming happened every time.

You know what I did see? I saw a ton of people who were obviously together in a group wearing both jerseys, taking pictures together outside the stadium after the game. I got some good natured teasing about being a Bears fan both before and after the game, but that was the extent of the rivalry or negativity.

I would NEVER rub in anyone's face when their team loses. In fact, if you check my previous posts: I was pretty appalled at how Panthers' fans were leaving in the 4th quarter and not supporting their team.

There are bad apples in every bunch but don't generalize about Bears fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: