Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for these ideas for Independence Blvd.
Another Walmart Shopping Center 4 23.53%
Let it Die it's slow death, as it is 4 23.53%
Little Mexico 6 35.29%
Modern version of Piegon Forge 6 35.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 05:40 PM

343 posts, read 686,280 times

Advertisements

I have sent in my ideas to the city for Independence Blvd. and I would like to know what are some of your ideas.

I thought it should be converted to a tourist area like a modern version of Pigeon Forge, TN with a huge boardwalk both sides with connecting walk-over bridges that connects to the light rail down the middle.

www.mypigeonforge.com <----Check out what it could look like, but use your imagination (unlike our city planners) and convert this to a modern setting.

Any ideas out there, better than the city building another Walmart Shopping Center?

How boring is Charlotte when it comes to planning new areas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 05:48 PM

OK Don't count spelling against me. Opps

Old 09-25-2010, 06:21 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
It's a total ghetto , from the 277/77 exit all the way down to Harris Blvd. It will die its slow death, unfortunately.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:02 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,159 times
Dolly Parton Scares me so, but anyways I would Love to see Condos going up on that Part of Independence between Wendover/ Eastway to Sharon Amity, Actually while typing this, I think this could be Charlotte's Atlantic Station, We can Call it Amity Gardens, Theres already two Midrises in the Area this could be Charlotte's second Skyline Following Independence that is geared for the new Light Rail with little parking.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:52 AM

Default More Condos???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
I would Love to see Condos going up on that Part of Independence between Wendover/ Eastway to Sharon Amity,
Are you sure you would like to see more condos? There are condos on every corner of Charlotte already, isn't that more of the same stuff we already have? Wouldn't you like to see something new in Charlotte?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:57 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
I think they should increase it to 8 lanes in each direction.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:51 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
How boring is Charlotte when it comes to planning new areas???
I think the planning department does a pretty good job these days. Don't forget that Hwy 74 (Independence) is a State-maintained R-O-W. Raleigh never misses an opportunity to goose Charlotte!

Old 10-12-2010, 06:21 AM

Well I don't even see any good ideas coming from the Charlotte residents either. Or maybe residents here just don't really care, which could be the reason Charlotte City Planners are not stepping out-of-box.

Maybe Charlotte is just not a good area for innovation and creativity.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:20 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
Well I don't even see any good ideas coming from the Charlotte residents either. Or maybe residents here just don't really care, which could be the reason Charlotte City Planners are not stepping out-of-box.

Maybe Charlotte is just not a good area for innovation and creativity.
I don't know if this is creative or jsut something that has been talked about before, but the Independence corridor and the entire East Side and Northeast Side (North Tryon corridor), all the way to University City should definately be made into an International District, and I also think that Eastland Mall should be more than a Hispanic Mall, it should be a shopping outlet that caters to every ethnic group that is in the Charlotte region! In other words, the new Eastland Mall should be catering to a more diverse crowd and not just a Hispanic outlet mall! I also think they should run light-rail along Independence Freeway as well! I also agree with the other poster about building highrise and midrise condos along the Independence corridor, I have no problems with that! I also agree that Charlotte proper doesn't need to build more Wal-Marts or any other big box retailers, let the suburban towns deal with that, Charlotte proper definately needs to buld more high density!

Old 10-14-2010, 01:36 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I think they should increase it to 8 lanes in each direction.
That would be awesome! Probably shave 15 minutes from my commute. They could still have a service road so people could get to important places like The Red Door, Crazy Horse and those sweepstakes places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte