Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:30 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,084 times

Advertisements

I move from FL to Waxhaw in a few weeks. i've been trying to do research on daycares or learning academies in the area. Everything looks very outdated and somewhat mediocre. I found one in Matthews but it was $200 more a month than what I pay here. We are in south Waxhaw, near JAARS airport. So even something in Monroe or Lancaster SC would be fine. I always think its best to get opinions from people who have children who attended these schools. I am not just looking for supervision for my daughter, I want her to be educated while I'm a work. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 06:04 PM

I did contact them and A) they do have a school-year schedule, which is doable because they offer "camp" on the off months, but they also B) only offer 1/2 day programs. I think this is for non working parent homes. Both parents work so we'd be paying for school and for after care, or nanny.. Any other options would be really helpful! Thanks though.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:40 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,783,570 times
My friend had hers in kids r kids and really liked it.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:41 PM

Yea, that was the one in Matthews that looked so good. But it was an additional $238 than what I pay now.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:49 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,135,399 times
Child care is expensive in Charlotte. Have you visited any centers yet?

Old 07-20-2010, 05:59 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,027 times
Have heard good things about Rainbow Station, but I'm not sure how far that is from you. It's a full time daycare facility.

Goddard may be another option for you. We used them in Illinois and were very pleased.

Hopefully people who use them here will weigh in.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:31 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Yea, that was the one in Matthews that looked so good. But it was an additional $238 than what I pay now.
Better stuff costs more. Can't have premium services and facilities at a discount price.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Better stuff costs more. Can't have premium services and facilities at a discount price.
Agreed. None the less I still have my daughter in one of the better daycares in my area and the fee is less than what is offered in Charlotte. I cant fathom spending almost $1000 / mo to send my daughter to daycare. If its something that has to be done, then so be it. But I live in an area that is expensive to live, eat and play, and was hoping Union County, or even south Charlotte would offer something similar in price for childcare.
I have not visited any centers yet. We relocate first week of September. I felt I had to respond to you vmaxnc because in no way did I intend my posts to seem like I was looking for a discounted price. My daughter has been in daycare since 1 1/2 years old. I am quite familiar with differences in care and fees. I am not looking to save money and scrimp on quality, I just thought $838 was a little much per month. Thank you for the obvious statement though.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:24 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,135,399 times
I don't think you'll find quality child care in that area of town for less than $1000 a month. That is a ton of money, but it's the wealthy side of town, and businesses know that. Some centers have plenty of openings due to the economy, but the good ones usually have waiting lists. If you are looking to put your child directly into care when you move here in September, you need to get here now and do your visits and choose a center.

BTW, if you decide to do the nanny route, be prepared to pay around $2000/month.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:25 AM

810 posts, read 2,292,509 times
From the wife,
I have some friends that send their children to Waxhaw Child Development Center. It's on Providence Rd. near the post office.
I've also heard there will be a Goddard School that is supposedly being built off New Town Rd. in the same shopping plaza as Donato's. I know there's something being built there and someone said it's Goddard.
There is another day care center being built on Providence Rd. near Ardrey Kell. It almost looks complete and I'm sure by now they are starting to enroll for the fall. I don't know the name of it.
I also forgot to mention Chester Brook Academy on Weddington Rd. It is only about a year old.
I'm not sure where your finding day cares that are outdated. All the one's I've mentioned above are in beautiful buildings that are very nice. Waxhaw Child Development is probably the oldest but it's probably only a few years old and it's in a very nice brick building with nice outdoor play areas.

Last edited by yrgm; 07-20-2010 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte