Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 09:23 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times

Advertisements

People change, places change- for better or worse. I'll always have fond memories from once upon a time, but I wonder how much of that was because as children we weren't responsible or aware of anything- too busy having a good time to fixate on negative.

I was heartbroken to see the pine barrens I'd romp around in as a kid clear cut for yet another subdivision on long island. The farms have dwindled to nothing deferring to tourism or McMansions, too many people piling in, roadkill everywhere because their habitat is gone. It's all turned into something I couldn't live with anymore, but newcomers are pleased as punch over. How many days of the year I'd have to work for 'free' to pay property taxes alone... no thanks.

The price of progress was the fine print they omitted in most communities, and hopefully we'll all get smarter about those mathematics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 03:55 AM

4 posts, read 14,810 times
I've lived in and around Charleston all my life. If you're serious about moving here, this is what I would tell you:

1. I would not move to Sissonville unless you don't have kids. The schools are bad and there's a large (for WV) drug problem (mostly pot, but meth and oxy, too). Surprisingly not a lot of crime, though, and the area's pretty and accessible.

2. St Albans is nice, compact, with good schools and nice houses. The people are considered "snobby" by WV standards (although not as bad as South Hills or Teays), but that's mostly stereotype. Towards the eastern end of the city (near the Jefferson city line) it often smells like rotten cabbage from the chemical plants across the river. Like someone else mentioned, the interstate isn't as handy as in the rest of the valley but it's still only five minutes away.

3. South Charleston also has good schools, but there's a mixture in neighborhoods. None even approach high-crime, but some are less savory than one might prefer. If you move to So Chas, DO NOT buy a house with a basement unless you're on the hill -- it was built on wetlands.

4. Charleston itself also has a big mix in neighborhoods. I would not buy a house on the West Side if someone paid me to, and the East End is also sorta sketchy depending on where you are (closer to the Boulevard is always better). The Westmoreland area is tumbledown, but pretty low in crime. South Hills is considered "tony," and Kanawha City (depending on where) can also be swank. Charleston Catholic, as someone else mentioned, is considered the best junior & high school in the valley. The public schools are pretty good in general, but hit-or-miss by neighborhood.

6. The eastern end of the valley (Malden, Rand, Belle, Chelyan, East Bank) are a grab bag. The schools are fine, but not exemplary; Malden and Belle are nicer; Rand, Chelyan and East Bank are more run-down. Since your wife will be working in OH, too, I wouldn't move further east than the Chelyan/Cabin Creek area. It would be too hard to commute.

7. If you're considering moving out on Corrider G (US 119), I wouldn't go further south than Alum Creek, about 15 minutes past Southridge. The schools further down than that are pretty abominable, although the area itself is nice. It's also about 20 minutes to the nearest fast-food joint. The area right around Southridge is nice, with pleasant houses and good schools -- lots of traffic on the Corridor, though, especially on weekends.

8. Dunbar and Institute are unexceptional, and I can't in good conscience recommend them. Traffic is heavy, the houses are crowded together, and some areas are shady. The local schools are meh, but the kids would go to SC High which is fairly good.

I can't tell you much about the area between Charleston and Huntington, but if you have any questions I'll try to answer as best as I can. =)

Old 09-07-2008, 11:05 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
As long as my family comes to visit me, there really is no reason to go back there. The majority of my graduation class, 420, and all of the group that I was close to have left the area and only go back on rare occasions. Even their parents have moved out. When I do go back, it takes about 20 minutes for me to be ready to go back home. There just isn't anything there for me anymore.
The same can be said for the area of NE Ohio where I grew up.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:08 AM

Have to say I pretty much agree with SaDiablo's assessment of the different areas in general.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:10 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times
And I have to add that the entire state does not have concentrated perfection in a single neighborhood. Sadiablo doesn't have to live in my W Charleston neighborhood, but what goes on in the flats doesn't have permission to happen on my hill. Not just because I said so, but because my hill said so, along with the others living here. Go 7 blocks down and they haven't made that agreement as a community. They post neighborhood watch signs but won't look out for one another. We have no signs. We actually do what isn't posted.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:33 PM

246 posts, read 880,369 times
If you like meth heads, cars and motorcycles with no mufflers, 4 wheelers running up and down the road at all hours, sewage that runs directly into the creek,enough trash on the side of the road and in the creek to start a landfill and an assortment of weirdos, freaks and crazy people moping around, i can recommend my holler.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:43 PM

63 posts, read 200,188 times
I Love my new "family" here in Pinch. The entire apartment complex helped us unload and then threw us a BBQ! Just wonderful, and so quiet, even though I am surrounded by people. So thankful to be here.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:35 PM

4 posts, read 14,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
(...) but what goes on in the flats doesn't have permission to happen on my hill.
West Side hill can be nice, especially close to Edgewood. But if you've never lived in Charleston it would be harder to pick a good spot, since there are places (like closer to Patrick Street) where even the Hill isn't as good.
Most of my life I lived on Campbell's Creek, so it's not like I'm priveleged or trying to say those areas aren't nice in sections. Like someone else mentioned, though, Charleston is kinda strange in that a safe street can be two blocks from relative hell.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesee View Post
I Love my new "family" here in Pinch. The entire apartment complex helped us unload and then threw us a BBQ! Just wonderful, and so quiet, even though I am surrounded by people. So thankful to be here.
Glad you made it to WV and that you have great neighbors. Welcome.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:17 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,336 times
Hello Bob, i hope you find an enjoyable place to live in WV.

I live in Saint Albans, moved here 2 years ago with my wife who grew up here. It's a nice small town feel with easy access to Charleston, or you can jump on I-64 and be in Huntington in 40 minutes. Saint Albans just built a new high school three years ago, and a brand new community rec center was built three blocks from the school 2 years ago.
I have my share of complaints about the town, but it's nothing unusual, or any worse than the previous places i have lived.

One Charleston suburb i wouldn't recommend is Dunbar, has too much interstate rif-raf. However Dunbar does have a couple nice neighborhoods in the hills, and along WV Avenue and Kanawha Avenue on the river.

Good luck in your search sir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston