Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 5,454 times

Advertisements

Hi. I desperately need a life change is very much interested in living in WVA. Lost my job in VA and daughter has moved out of state. No need to stay here. Any suggestions on jobs, areas to live? I'm single, late 40s and not looking for family oriented neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 09:34 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
Why are you looking a Charleston? Employment? Charleston is rather isolated. It's the biggest place for miles around. I'd not expect much in the way of singles or dating life for a '40s or '50s female. You'd want to stay in a larger city like a Raleigh or Charlotte or such. Charleston is a very married place. It lost a lot of business professional jobs due to mergers/buyouts of Union Carbide by Dow; C&P Telephone now Verizon or someone; Columbia Gas bought/sold several times. Plus decline of other manufacturing and mining. It has a aging population. I'd hazard a guess that retired baby boomers prop up a lot of the local economy in Charleston area. It's not what I'd calla growth area. It's stable or starting to decline, maybe. But do your own research.

As a single woman, I'd pick a larger metro area that is not so rural. Eastern panhandle might be okay. Pick proximity to Washington, DC. Not old Rust Belt areas. Of course, what you do for a living might give you more options.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:34 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmemuriel View Post
Hi. I desperately need a life change is very much interested in living in WVA. Lost my job in VA and daughter has moved out of state. No need to stay here. Any suggestions on jobs, areas to live? I'm single, late 40s and not looking for family oriented neighborhoods.
Well... "sorry's" post is a bit doom and gloom, and it's been a while since I lived in Charleston (was born/raised there). But people aren't born married there. There ARE singles, and singles who meet other singles in Charleston just as everywhere. It is however, sure, a bit more slower paced than other cities, and more family-oriented compared to others, too. If you want to live near a "large" city, you'll be around 3.5+ hours (drive) from places like Pittsburgh, Columbus, etc., if you live in Charleston. You didn't say where in VA you are used to living, what type of job you'd seek when in Charleston, or for that matter, how close you want to be to your daughter who moved out of state (?).

If you want a slower pace but something a little closer to larger cities, then Chattanooga might be an option. About (roughly) the same size as Charleston, but has a booming tourist industry and slightly more single-ish crowd (due to the tourists that hit the club scene), and you would be a 2 hour drive to Atlanta, Nashville, or Knoxville should you want something more fast paced.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:02 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
Sorry to sound "gloom and doom." But the more rural areas are great for single men, because they can do outdoorsy men's activities. And usually lousy for women over age 25 who are trying to find a mate. Married couples will often invite single men to functions. Married women do not usually invite single women, because the woman is seen as a threat to the marriage. And married women with children are not usually available to participate in very many activities sans kids and husband. Husbands aren't too thrilled about wifey going out with the girls all the time. ;-)

So, a small town atmosphere of marrieds raising families is *much* more unfavorable for a single woman than it is for a single man, because she will not be invited to the couples events and she will also not find many women to pal around with. I am not being alarmist. That's just how the game is played. If you want a social scene as a single woman without a male partner, you don't pick a staid and established "couples" town in a remote area, where people have lived there their entire lives and have their partnerships and friendships established. You pick a growth area that has an influx of people that will be looking for new friends or new mates, and at least the possibility of new jobs being created.

Charleston used to have that back when Carbide and DuPont and C&P and Colombia Gas were still growing and hiring. But it was very married past the age of 25 to 27 or so, even back then.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:22 PM

68 posts, read 187,758 times
No offense to "sorry", but the worst people to talk to about West Virginia are generally the ones from here

Charleston is technically a city, but it's also a group of small towns that happen to be side-by-side each other along a river in the middle of nowhere. So everything "sorry" says probably has some truth to it, but remember truth can be subjective. I'm sure that subjectiveness gets even truer the more rural you get. And it does get rural in any direction from Charleston, until about 2hrs or 3hrs later.

I'm not from here. It's not perfect here. I don't expect it to be, but I'll take this imperfect over where I'm from any day.

The 2010 import of males to West Virginia has already been met, but since you're female . . I'd suggest taking the AmTrak over from East Virginia and stay a few days to get a feel for it. Nice ride, two waterfalls along the way, and if you look me up when you get here and I'll buy you a cup of coffee.

Can't help you with the god stuff, but I've been churches (once or twice). I have noticed that nice people tend to congregate there. So you might consider that to expand your circle of friends a little.

Best wishes.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:51 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wv.artistry View Post
... the worst people to talk to about West Virginia are generally the ones from here
Had to laugh! Sorry won't be getting that job in tourism, but perhaps if they aspired to be more than a lifelong pity party?

Yes, it really is offensive when folks prattle on blaming their surroundings for their life choices. I see no point in walking around their delusions as if they had validity. You're far too kind, artistry.

Muriel if you're still reading your thread, please get more specific about what you're looking for/ what you need and I'm certain you'll get honest answers. I'm a transplant with no regrets. CD's WV folks were very generous with me when I was doing my homework. Pay it forward seems right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston