Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:56 AM

650 posts, read 1,206,762 times

Advertisements

Oh boy. My advice? Document EVERYTHING.

If I was in your shoes, I'd buy myself a notebook and every time he confronts me, phones me, comes in the house, threatens me with eviction...well anything really...I'd write down the date and a brief note about it.

Heaven forbid you'd ever have to go to court about anything, but writing things down costs nothing, hurts nothing, and that record can really come in handy in showing a pattern of harassment or unreasonable behaviour. Lawyers often advise doing this, in fact, in harassment or stalking cases.

Unless I really loved the house (or really hated to move again!) I wouldn't want to deal with this fellow at all. I'd be looking for somewhere else. The fact that he's sitting up until midnight "watching the place" I mean really is just too much.

Or wait...are you THAT cute??

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 07:10 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,606,292 times
He sounds like he couldn't or can't dominate his wife or children and you are the next best thing. See if you can find an attorney that is also a landlord. They are out there. That's the ticket.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:21 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,767 times
Does he live next door...? Or? I'm confused about the set up. Do you rent a single family house and he lives nearby, or is it a duplex or something?

At any rate you've gotten good advice. Check your laws about your right to "peaceable enjoyment of the property". I doubt he had any legal right to accompany the cable guy inside if he himself allowed cable hookups (some places you have to get specific permission if they need to drill any holes).

You might have justification to call the police next time he's in your face for no reason because of the right to "peaceable enjoyment". I'm in Tx where tenant rights are sad, but even in Tx there are limits as to what you have to put up with. Hopefully it is much better in your state. I've called the police on a landlady before and I had an absolutely PSYCHOTIC landlady. Shut her right up and she left me alone from that point forward. Found out from the police that the previous 2 tenants had called the cops on her too!

Old 06-11-2008, 01:42 PM

9 posts, read 18,583 times
he lives pretty close.

yesterday i went home from work and had no water. seems he thought he would call the water company (even though its in my name) and shut if off for "repairs". so i am at work again today, havent had a shower in 33 hours, water company couldnt get there till today. and i swear if he shuts it off again i will shoot him

Old 06-11-2008, 02:37 PM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,187,706 times
ok, this is 6/11 and on 6/6 he wanted you out by Monday 6/9 and you are still there. Do you have to pay for the water to be turned back on? DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!!! I know you are upset but don't say thinks like you will shoot him, may come bck to bite you. Did you go see your JAG? He needs to understand "your" rights as tenant! Did he make any reparis?

Old 06-12-2008, 07:21 AM

9 posts, read 18,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJC View Post
ok, this is 6/11 and on 6/6 he wanted you out by Monday 6/9 and you are still there. Do you have to pay for the water to be turned back on? DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!!! I know you are upset but don't say thinks like you will shoot him, may come bck to bite you. Did you go see your JAG? He needs to understand "your" rights as tenant! Did he make any reparis?
no i wasnt charged to have it turned back on, i have been documenting everything, date time, etc. i went and seen my JAG, they said i havent done anything wrong, i dont HAVE to move but they advised me to, just like you all, so i dont have to put up with his non sense. and no he didnt make any repairs

Old 06-12-2008, 08:33 AM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,187,706 times
Did you give him a security deposit? If you move I would have a chat with him to assure that you get that deposit back. He may say you are breaking the lease if you move even though he asked you to. Is it possible to sit down with him and have a conversation and work this out? Perhaps you could have a 3rd party sit in on the conversation and help you two come to a reasonable solution to this.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:46 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,311,245 times
Take him to Magistrate Court and demand a jury trial...they will pull the first 3 people off the street to listen to the case...Sue for the max $5,000.00. The jury will render a verdict in your favor in less than ten minutes...This guy needs a lesson in good manners and I'll bet he's not from here...

Old 06-12-2008, 03:20 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times
DK and the ironic thing is, he'll only use that judgement to justify treating the next tennant badly- a never ending cycle. Guys like these are bad for biz and make sure imbalanced laws stay on the books. Using the courts when you don't need to will create an unintended result= a black mark on this renters history for future tennancy.

I stand by my advice- get this guy to volunteer releasing you from contractual lease, then move on= most cost effective way to get on with your life. Take him to court with harassment proof as justification to get out of lease if he refuses to sign anything it's even better when legals arm compells and witnesses. Then he'll have no grounds to say anything, and no recorded liens/judgements/claims will show up in your own file. The longer you dance with this guy, the harder it will be to explain why there are holes in your residential references for another apartment elsewhere.

"Never wrestle with a pig- you both get dirty and the pig likes it."
~fellows of strategic study, naval think tank

Old 06-12-2008, 05:35 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,311,245 times
I Have Two Guys In Cleveland Who Will Solve This Problem...$5.00 ...a Bottle Of Ripple...and Cab Fare....want Their Number?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston