Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 03:38 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It absolutely is not in the bill. Some people keep saying that there is something wrong with this bill, but never offer anything concrete to back up their statements. They seem to think they know more about the business of building a cracker than the people who would invest millions of dollars to build one. For example, they seem to know that the plant will fail because it is not close enough to the gas source, but nobody has posting any links to interviews with the investors to see why they consider any particular site. It could be that the site is close to their markets instead of close to their raw materials, but we have no idea because we just hear opinions about why it is such a bad idea, not any discussion about industry studies or links to builders' information.
This is NOT an investment. It is a welfare project paid for by the state. If they were actually investing in a CRACKER plant and were paying the bills, instead of the taxpayers, they would not be building a cracker plant in Charleston. They arent going to admit they are running a scam, nor are the politicians, in an interview. So Mensa we know why you are ignorant. You believe everything you hear, so you probably read some newspaper they owned where they praised this project, and you naively believed it.

It doesnt matter where they build it as long as the state pays for it. They could build it on the moon, and it would make as much business sense as Charleston, and they would still reap the benefits from the taxpayers footing the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 05:45 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,336 times
Why does it not make sense to build in Charleston? Hmmm, I can't think of any reason. But I can think of several good reasons: close to a large labor force, close to great highway system, has commercial river access, already has much of the infrastructure which will save several hundred million dollars.

Those all sound like really good reasons to me. Why are all the oil refineries sometimes hundreds or even thousands of miles away from its ground source?

How do we clean house of the trolls on this forum?

Old 01-07-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Why does it not make sense to build in Charleston? Hmmm, I can't think of any reason. But I can think of several good reasons: close to a large labor force, close to great highway system, has commercial river access, already has much of the infrastructure which will save several hundred million dollars.

Those all sound like really good reasons to me. Why are all the oil refineries sometimes hundreds or even thousands of miles away from its ground source?

It has already been explained, several times, why it doesnt make any business sense. Reread the thread if you missed the 20 or so detailed explanations.

You are right though the government subsidies will save them hundreds of millions of dollars. Corporate welfare is the only advantage Charleston has.

Silk I know you are not that educated, but your fallacy of comparing 2 different things you know little about is just stupid. You should really know better.

I do agree we need to do something about trolls in this forum. It was proved a long time ago by several different posters on how this is just a scam and doesnt make any business sense, but a few posters are now just trolling by pretending to be in denial and repeating refuted arguments, or perhaps they are not trolling and are just too brainwashed and not smart enough to understand. Im all for suggestions on how to deal with them.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:10 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post

Silk makes a very good point...Charleston has 3 major highways (64/77/79) converging on the city which only a handful of other places in the US have. There is also easy access to the Ohio river and its many north and south ports via the Kanawha. It also has extensive brownfield sites and a large chemical presence to add.

I see nothing that makes it logical to NOT build one in the Kanawha Valley. There was considerably more behind Shell's decision to not locate in West Virginia other than this bill that is allegedly chock full of 'corruption.' Monaca is right on the Ohio River, it's 25 miles from downtown Pittsburgh, it's 15 miles from Pittsburgh airport, closer to population centers along the Great Lakes, etc. One company's business decision is not the end all be all for the rest of the industry. And again..none of these factors point to 1.) corruption or 2.) a reason why a cracker should'nt be built in the Kanawha Valley.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 01-07-2013 at 07:22 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The main reason I even responded to this is your negative posts on the Morgantown board. Now, you resort to calling my town by an unsavory name. You're really starting it up now. By the way, our award winning, growing city has fewer and fewer student slums. It is apparent you haven't visited recently. There are beautiful new student housing facilities being build all over the place.
What do you call this:

Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 PM

Another lovely Motown sight:

Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 PM

Party time in one of the shiny, upscale Morgantown neighborhoods:

be thankful I am posting these scenes on the Charleston board and not Motown's lol

Old 01-08-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Silk makes a very good point...Charleston has 3 major highways (64/77/79) converging on the city which only a handful of other places in the US have. There is also easy access to the Ohio river and its many north and south ports via the Kanawha. It also has extensive brownfield sites and a large chemical presence to add.

I see nothing that makes it logical to NOT build one in the Kanawha Valley. There was considerably more behind Shell's decision to not locate in West Virginia other than this bill that is allegedly chock full of 'corruption.' Monaca is right on the Ohio River, it's 25 miles from downtown Pittsburgh, it's 15 miles from Pittsburgh airport, closer to population centers along the Great Lakes, etc. One company's business decision is not the end all be all for the rest of the industry. And again..none of these factors point to 1.) corruption or 2.) a reason why a cracker should'nt be built in the Kanawha Valley.
It has 3 highways to nowhere, and is still in the little of nowhere. There are plenty of cities in much better locations that make business sense. Like I said this has already been explained. There is one factor involved and that is a scam run by this company and the state, which has been explained.

To the poster posting Morgantown photos. I could easily do the same and post bad photos of Charleston, and with the amount of population loss it has experienced it would be easy to do. However, this is irrelevant, off topic, and creates a bad atmosphere. However, this does prove my point that posters on this board are obsessed with Morgantown, resort to Morgantown bashing, and try to change the subject to Charleston vs Morgantown whenever facts refute their arguments in the hopes it will change the subject and make people forget the truth about Charleston corruption. We dont need to resort to such behavior, and you would never see the Morgantown users sinking so low in our forum. Keep it classy CHarleston!

Old 01-08-2013, 06:53 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,336 times
RVAtoNC those pictures are not necessary especially in the Charleston forum.

cry havoc, I am basically going to disregard anything you have to say because you have to resort to personal attacks to try to get someone's attention.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post

That is why the chemical industry has existed in the Kanawha Valley since the 1920's. A good work force helps, but a navigable river is a must, both for the barge traffic and the water to be used in the plants. Proximity to the coal fields is a big plus, both for the raw materials and for the low cost of electricity. In addition, I notice as I drive around the valley that all of the chemical plants have lots of open land inside their fences, so that would imply that there is infrastructure to support additional processing facilities (since obsolete chemical processing units once occupied that land). As far as access to the gas fields is concerned (if that is even a concern at all), Carbide has pipelines that run all the way from the Kanawha Valley plants to the former plant location in Sistersville. I would assume that some kind of negotiation for the pipeline use could be worked out. With a new facility being able to tap existing facilities to get steam, river water, compressed air, nitrogen, and electricity, an existing chemical plant would seem to be an ideal location for a cracker. One thing we don't know about is the end use of the products of the cracker. If it is to be in the form of specialty gases, those facilities already exist at or next to the Institute plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston