Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:16 PM

286 posts, read 349,602 times

Advertisements

Any new economic activity in Charleston? I see progress but not enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 04:41 AM

6,095 posts, read 9,132,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvu2016 View Post
Charleston right now is doing well. It was 5th in the nation this past year in construction increase, and several large projects have either started on been planned. Office Buildings in downtown is full, and there has been a recent push fro new stores, restaurants, bars, ect... Cabela's is opening a new store here too!

Hotel Construction and remodeling seems to be a huge runoff of all of the growth in conventions, events, aswell as businesses. There will be a new Marriott Courtyard in downtown, and the now Ramada (Charleston House) is getting a big facelift and upgrade. It will become a Sheraton. Also several other hotels including the Marriott, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, and Embassy Suites are all get remodeled. The Town Center mall is also getting a facelife aswell as the recent opening of a dozen new stores and restaurants.

Highland Hospital is building a four story new medical center, there is also construction of a four store office building in South charleston. A couple other smaller office buildings are being built in the city aswell.

Overall the city is looking great, and the people here are very happy with the growth!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:10 AM

Great to hear!.... The charleston house is going to be a Sheraton?!!!! When are they going to make the change?

Old 05-09-2012, 10:37 AM

16,706 posts, read 15,701,811 times
Quote:
What kind of economic activity are you looking for? There is a wide range of business i and near Charleston. What progress do you see and how much is enough?

Downtown is developing into a very nice restaurant area. Charleston has a lot of banking business. Health care is an ever expanding part of the economy. With state government headquartered in Charleston, there are a lot of people coming into Charleston every day to go to work.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:33 AM

Well I saw a video of charleston in 1981, and there's way more people down there then there is now. With the mall being built it really killed downtown. I hope one day and can get back to where it was.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:10 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,904,511 times
Quote:
Great to hear!.... The charleston house is going to be a Sheraton?!!!! When are they going to make the change?
WVu... if you look near the bottom of the page that lists the topics, you'll find a discussion about it here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...-underway.html , as well as all kinds of topics that answer your question about what's happening in the Charleston area lately.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:15 PM

16,706 posts, read 15,701,811 times
Quote:
Well I saw a video of charleston in 1981, and there's way more people down there then there is now. With the mall being built it really killed downtown. I hope one day and can get back to where it was.
Well, it may have killed retail on Capitol Street, but it didn't kill business. The businesses moved into the mall. Ward's and Penny's were anchor stores. Rite Aid was in the mall at one time, Steiger Furs was there. Most of the 5&10 stores were closed by their bigger brothers (Kreske's by K-Mart, etc.). Lance's closed because the owners retired.

Capitol Street will never be a retail area again. Law offices are all over. Restaurants are where Wollworth's, McCrory's, A. W. Cox's all used to be. Taylor Books is where S. Spencer Moore used to be. The Diamond closed. Coyle & Richardson closed. Stone & Thomas was bought by Elder-Beerman and the downtown store was closed.

You can never get that stuff back.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:07 PM

They need to do something with the Stone and Thomas building, it is an eye sore.

Taylor books is a nice to have on Capitol Street, but you're right it'll never be the same.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:41 AM

6,095 posts, read 9,132,581 times
Quote:
They need to do something with the Stone and Thomas building, it is an eye sore.

Taylor books is a nice to have on Capitol Street, but you're right it'll never be the same.
The Stone & Thomas building has been talked about remodeling it into a multi-purpose office building with stores and restaurants on the bottom floor.

820 Lee Street, Charleston, WV, 25301 - Office Building Property for Sale on LoopNet.com

They haven't worked on it yet, but I'm still praying that this will actually happen.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:38 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,425,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The Stone & Thomas building has been talked about remodeling it into a multi-purpose office building with stores and restaurants on the bottom floor.

820 Lee Street, Charleston, WV, 25301 - Office Building Property for Sale on LoopNet.com

They haven't worked on it yet, but I'm still praying that this will actually happen.
You don't know how much I've been wanting this project, specifically, to get off the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston