Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 07:06 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times

Advertisements

I found this link, and thought it was kinda cool. It is a little outdated, but that doesn't take away from its unique view.

Charleston, West Virginia - Aerials

Here is a link I found on the link, LOL

https://picasaweb.google.com/1111225.../CharlestonWV#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 07:34 PM

532 posts, read 1,091,779 times
Beautiful pictures. I think I'm going to get the one that has all the church spires and the Capitol. Have you seen it?

Old 11-15-2011, 12:39 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,992,915 times
Loved these!!!

Old 11-15-2011, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
Beautiful pictures. I think I'm going to get the one that has all the church spires and the Capitol. Have you seen it?
yes I love that picture. It is so cool because it's not fake.

here it is
Panoramio - Photo of steeples before the storm, charleston, wv

here is another cool link of Charleston and downtown.
Charleston, West Virginia - MetroScenes.com – City Skyline and Urban Photography and Prints by Matt Robinson

Old 11-16-2011, 09:16 AM

566 posts, read 1,579,814 times
Arrow Old Parkersburg City Building

The posts in the original link mentioned Parkersburg's urban renewal phase that destroyed so many old buildings, so I thought I would show this prime example.

This is the old Parkersburg city building that disappeared overnight in 1981. There wasn't a lot of discussion or public input, it was just there one day and gone the next. It's a small parking lot now.

Pic is from:
PARKERSBURG, WEST VIRGINIA: THE CITY BUILDING & FIFTH STREET

If you like that page, be sure and look at the rest of the site:
PARKERSBURG, WEST VIRGINIA: A VINTAGE PORTRAIT

Old 11-16-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Rivers View Post
The posts in the original link mentioned Parkersburg's urban renewal phase that destroyed so many old buildings, so I thought I would show this prime example.

This is the old Parkersburg city building that disappeared overnight in 1981. There wasn't a lot of discussion or public input, it was just there one day and gone the next. It's a small parking lot now.
How sad! Those were some nice buildings. If they only knew what that would have done for the city by keeping them.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:13 PM

566 posts, read 1,579,814 times
Anything can happen when good ole boys decide to help each other out. Someone got a new city building with a nice new office and furnishings, someone got a parking lot, and someone got paid to tear that building down. The 'renewal' has obviously failed, since downtown is nothing like it used to be.

At one point they considered tearing down the Wood county courthouse. Since then, it's been given some upgrades and better care. It was built in 1899, the pic below was taken around 1905.

PARKERSBURG, WEST VIRGINIA: WOOD COUNTY COURTHOUSES

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston