Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 04:40 AM

583 posts, read 592,933 times

Advertisements

Very odd that the landlord would just double the rent in an area that is not exactly booming. With all the vacancies I cannot see anything moving into that space. I thought they needed a better location anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 07:17 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,369 times
I'd assume that all the work they put into it made it more attractive and the owner is trying to capitalize on that. I think the move will be very beneficial to Dan and Hillary and will create a burgeoning little creative district in Elk City.

Anyway, here's a round-up of the moves:
  • Kin Ship Goods will move to 613 Tennessee Ave., which is being renovated now.
  • Base Camp Printing Company will share the building at 613 Tennessee Ave.
  • Elk City Records will move to 311 Washington St. W, next to the recently-opened Bully Trap Barber Shop.
  • Both of these buildings are being completely renovated to have apartments on the upper floors.
  • MESH Design & Development, currently at 303 Washington St. W, will move to 611 Tennessee Ave.
  • Renovations are ongoing at the Staats Hospital building. I haven't heard any recent news on tenants, but early hopes were a coffee shop and/or bakery.
  • The Bullocks own all of these properties, as well as the small building to the left of the Staats building.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:04 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
What area makes up "Elk City?"

Old 01-08-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What area makes up "Elk City?"
It's the main shopping area on the West Side closest to downtown, bounded roughly by Pennsylvania/Ohio/Washington/Lee and the buildings on the north/west side of Washington.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:56 PM

778 posts, read 794,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
It's the main shopping area on the West Side closest to downtown, bounded roughly by Pennsylvania/Ohio/Washington/Lee and the buildings on the north/west side of Washington.
That is more like the footprint of the development zone as the term Elk City, like that of Kanawha City is a very old name and encompassed all of the area west of the Elk River down to about 5 corners. This was in a time when there either were no bridges into Charleston or the one that did exist - a flimsy wooden structure - that would be washed away in the spring most years. It was only years later that it was incorporated into Charleston after it was obvious that Malden was not going to be the commercial center due to the heavy industry involving Kanawha Salt.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
That is more like the footprint of the development zone as the term Elk City, like that of Kanawha City is a very old name and encompassed all of the area west of the Elk River down to about 5 corners. This was in a time when there either were no bridges into Charleston or the one that did exist - a flimsy wooden structure - that would be washed away in the spring most years. It was only years later that it was incorporated into Charleston after it was obvious that Malden was not going to be the commercial center due to the heavy industry involving Kanawha Salt.
That's true, and I simply pulled the boundaries of the Elk City Historic District, which, while not the entire area, is the heart of the district.

And I really wish I (and WVians at large) knew more about Elk City. It was such a center of culture, primarily one of the epicenters of African American society in the state, which was largely wiped away with the construction of the interstate. I've wondered what the city would be like now if they chose not to route the interstate through that area (I've even made a map of such for personal reference).

Old 01-08-2016, 08:27 PM

Interesting you bring up the interstate going through there. Did you know it was not supposed to go through South Charleston? It was supposed to continue on from Dunbar through North Charleston and run about where Washington St runs now. It was supposed to bend around the side of the mountain at Watts and follow what used to be Crescent Rd before picking up the eventual path at Spring St.

South Charleston went into a panic and did everything they could to get the highway to cross into and out of South Charleston because they realized they would die without it. Beckley made the decision and made a LOT of backroom deals to get I-64 to veer from Sam Black Church to Beckley to meet I-77. It was supposed to continue WNW and travel a bit north of US 60. I wish both had been left alone and the US Corps of Engineer plans, based on logic had been retained.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
That's true, and I simply pulled the boundaries of the Elk City Historic District, which, while not the entire area, is the heart of the district.

And I really wish I (and WVians at large) knew more about Elk City. It was such a center of culture, primarily one of the epicenters of African American society in the state, which was largely wiped away with the construction of the interstate. I've wondered what the city would be like now if they chose not to route the interstate through that area (I've even made a map of such for personal reference).
I may be in error but I thought the area that had the Black population was over where the water plant is now and the interstate through downtown took it out. I am not sure how the interstate could come through the downtown area and not go through there. I know of no other route for the route except along the current path from the capitol to Elk River. If there was one, could you post it here, I try to keep up on such things. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:59 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
The Interstate didn't directly take out the Triangle District by itself. The Triangle District is most famously known as the land where Charleston Town Center now sits, but it included more land than that. The Marriott, the Embassy Suites, the Civic Center, the Fifth Quarter, and Beni Kedem Shrine were all in the area known as the Triangle District.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:06 AM

I must've been mistaken then, hence why I need to learn more!

And the interstate route that I was talking about is pure fantasy. It was just my idea of where it could've gone and wasn't based on any other alternative routes, though it did incorporate the early proposal to put the new Capitol up by Spring Hill Cemetery. There are many factors which would have prevented this (unused railroad where the interstate is now downtown, existing plants, etc.), but I just wanted to make a route that preserved downtown and the West Side as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston