Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 08:28 AM

778 posts, read 794,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I can now confirm that the old TGIF will be La Rocas Mexican Restaurant (same as the Cross Lanes location).

Also, I can confirm that the space beside the new Starbucks will be Aspen Dental.

I talked to workers at both projects just moments ago. Sorry that it isn’t more exciting news, but on a positive not La Rocas is fairly good. IMO

Not really surprised it is a Mexican eatery, it is set up like all of them are. The downside is that La Rocas is just about the worst in the area, imo and I doubt it is open for more than a year. Like the Corridor needs another Mexican sit down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 09:55 AM

583 posts, read 592,933 times
I like them much better than Trancas but omg another Mexican place!

Old 08-06-2018, 09:59 PM

652 posts, read 749,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
If the kitchen and bar are not there then the likelihood of this being a restaurant just got a little slimmer. But that parking lot is huge. Back in its day that TGIF could fill that lot to capacity. That’s right when I moved back here and erronously concluded that this place was on a comeback. Now I’m plotting my exit...
TGIF and the brass rail 90’s chain family dinner places are generally on the downswing everywhere in the US. Not a reflection of WV.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:38 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Also noticed a sign up beside BB&T outside the Shops at Kanawha advertising a new building coming “this fall” with 6,000 square feet available. I doubt they’ll have a building erected and ready by this fall, but that’s interested. I’m surprised that site has sat empty for so long. Good spot for a coffee shop or fast food place.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Also noticed a sign up beside BB&T outside the Shops at Kanawha advertising a new building coming “this fall” with 6,000 square feet available. I doubt they’ll have a building erected and ready by this fall, but that’s interested. I’m surprised that site has sat empty for so long. Good spot for a coffee shop or fast food place.

"This fall" is certainly doable, inside and out with landscaping and staff training. Most small (under 10,000) free standing site builds are modular. A practiced construction crew can clear the ground, install the utility services and prep for the block drop and have a roof over a structure in as little as a single week. That is a very fast scale, but a month is leisurely. Exterior work can be conducted while interior set is being performed and often, the new staff is involved in the latter stage of the interior setup, putting out stock and training on interface systems and orientation to policy.

Most small outlets like this are just a box with a couple of internal non-load walls and some exterior trim and lights.

The only thing that ever gets in the way is ground freeze when laying the slab and installing the utilities. After that, it can rain or snow or be a drought, it really doesn't matter.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
TGIF and the brass rail 90’s chain family dinner places are generally on the downswing everywhere in the US. Not a reflection of WV.

I think some of that will lessen somewhat but the hey day is certainly past. The ten or so years between the housing bust in 2008 and the fully realized economic recovery in 2018 has been a time of tight budgets for the average family. Fast Food and high end event dining weathered the economic recession in reasonable shape, but it was the casuals like TGIF that were under strain.

Perhaps the biggest issue has yet to be realized, a whole generation of young people grew up (15 to 25) without going to a casual outlet and see no need to start now that they have more means to do so. They are more likely to host small dinner parties with friends using one of those meal delivery services where everything comes in a box ready to eat, more or less. Or, they splurge a bit and go to something a bit more upscale.

First it was economics that hit the casual, now it is a lifestyle to not go unless you are 35+ and that age group goes less and less as they get older.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:04 AM

Friday’s didn’t do itself any favors either. Prices got larger and larger while portions got smaller and smaller. Then there was this lost concept called service...

Old 08-07-2018, 04:00 PM

652 posts, read 749,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Perhaps the biggest issue has yet to be realized, a whole generation of young people grew up (15 to 25) without going to a casual outlet and see no need to start now that they have more means to do so. They are more likely to host small dinner parties with friends using one of those meal delivery services where everything comes in a box ready to eat, more or less. Or, they splurge a bit and go to something a bit more upscale.

First it was economics that hit the casual, now it is a lifestyle to not go unless you are 35+ and that age group goes less and less as they get older.
No, we go out plenty, we just don't want to overpay for a microwaved frozen steak or a pasta dish boiled in a bag, drinking crappy macro beer served by a high school dropout.. We'd rather spend their money at a good local restaurant where the food is made with some kind of love, or a fast-casual (chipotle, sweetgreen, etc).

Old 08-07-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
No, we go out plenty, we just don't want to overpay for a microwaved frozen steak or a pasta dish boiled in a bag, drinking crappy macro beer served by a high school dropout.. We'd rather spend their money at a good local restaurant where the food is made with some kind of love, or a fast-casual (chipotle, sweetgreen, etc).
That may be your personal experience but that is not what the various industry groups have determined. The ~25 year old demographic cares about 2 things: convenience and the perception of healthy eating. ALL of the casuals except one are failing and that exception is Olive Garden. Odd, because you specifically stated you hated frozen pasta boiled in a bag - exactly how Olive Garden cooks.

The big winners have been fast food establishments from MacDonald's to Chipotle to Five Guys and In and Out. But the biggest gainer for ~25 year old money is the box meal that shipped to a residence or ANY restaurant that delivers, even if it isn't healthy seeming.

My take from this is slightly critical. The young adult crowd is just lazy and unaware that a meal out is more than about the food. But, when I do see this group out and there are 3 or 4 or even couple more at a table, they are all on their phones. They fail to connect at all levels, including with the establishment. No wonder they don't go out, they do not understand the art of dining and sociability.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:17 PM

Beer. I like beer. That being said...I really think craft beer is a trend that is getting way overblown but that’s what the younger demo wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston